The AI has no personalities

I don't understand why they did this. Now you don't know what to except from your neighbor and will have to build up a strong army no matter who you border.

I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not, I'm going to assume it was.

I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not, I'm going to assume it was.

No, on Civ IV if i was on an continent with Gandhi or another peaceful guy i would just build a good enough army and worry about out teching everyone and go for the diplo or cultural win, usually i didn't start to build up big defenses in till the A.I. got navigation and could attack me. Now even if you have Gandhi(or some peaceful guy, i don't know who is in the game since i won't get it till the day after tomorrow) you still have to have a big enough army to defend yourself from an attack at any time.

Oh . . . whoops lol

Anyway, I did like the personalities in Civ4. <3 Monte

Ocassionaly, I will get into a game where one AI just sits back a techs up or goes for pure culture, but that is always because they are isolated on a island or small continent.

I have found that the Americans and the Russians tend to not declare war after you refuse a peace offering if you have a high culture. I have only seen this with these two personalities though. Otherwise I agree that the AIs tend to all act the same i.e.- attack, attack, attack

I have found that the Americans and the Russians tend to not declare war after you refuse a peace offering if you have a high culture. I have only seen this with these two personalities though. Otherwise I agree that the AIs tend to all act the same i.e.- attack, attack, attack

Except that contradicts the point of this thread; the AI has no personalities. The Americans and Russians are no less likely to declare war after you refuse a peace offering than any other Civilization.

I'm not convinced one way or the other. Some of the Civs seem much less likely to attack me than others. I've definitely noticed situations where, if I was playing as the Romans I would have attacked me, but Caesar won't. That's happened in multiple games. Some of the other Civs attack all the time. That suggests to me that there is some personality difference between Civs run by the AI.

There are some civs that are more aggressive than others (Germans and Mongols), but you are right for the most part the AI acts identically. If you are playing on King or higher, it doesn't matter whether it's Gandhi or Gengis Khan, if you are about to win, they will declare war on you and just try to kick your ass.

AI follows a lot of strategies. Some AI will even try to OCC a game with pure culture if they get an early cultural leader.

Some AI are more agressive than others. They DO have personalities, it's just randomized.

There are some civs that are more aggressive than others (Germans and Mongols), but you are right for the most part the AI acts identically. If you are playing on King or higher, it doesn't matter whether it's Gandhi or Gengis Khan, if you are about to win, they will declare war on you and just try to kick your ass.

No, no, that's not the opposite of what is true. They do NOT act identical and they do NOT have specific personalities attached to the Civilizations. The different personalities are distinct from one another, but they are randomized. Sid said this in an interview regarding the game some time back.

Japan loves to turtle.
Cleo will talk tough early but once you have a defense they will leave you alone.
Aztecs will be lippy and attack but if you take a city they will sue for peace.
Alex will keep coming no mater what.
Arabs will pepper attacks then back off regroup and then start again.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So basically, I am saying that seems like differing personalities to me.

Ghandi has picked more fights with me than anyone, which is hilarious. A few I've noticed lean more one way than the other, but the problem is that there's so little content in regards to diplomacy that they only have three ways that they can act as it is, which is probably why they may seem so similar.

Japan loves to turtle.
Cleo will talk tough early but once you have a defense they will leave you alone.
Aztecs will be lippy and attack but if you take a city they will sue for peace.
Alex will keep coming no mater what.
Arabs will pepper attacks then back off regroup and then start again.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So basically, I am saying that seems like differing personalities to me.

Seriously, everyone seems to be completely missing the point. You guys are reading into the AI Civs personality too much, attempting to identify a particular behavioral pattern for each Civ. But they are not like they were in Civ IV, their personalities are completely randomized. You can get a militaristic Gandhi or a friendly Genghis Khan, but they will not be like that every game. Alex can sometimes be peaceful, and Cleo might be aggressive the entire game. There is no uniform personality connected to a particular leader. It changes every game.

You guys are reading into the AI Civs personality too much, attempting to identify a particular behavioral pattern for each Civ. But they are not like they were in Civ IV, their personalities are completely randomized.

Bonafide11 is right; the AI's are randomized. But I suppose the response we're seeing is what the developers intended for this game (as opposed to Civ 4) - that people can leave with varied stories, of "Gandhi being a warhawk" and "Genghis Khan giving in to threats." Perhaps this thread belongs now to the Civ Stories section! :lol:

Seriously, everyone seems to be completely missing the point. You guys are reading into the AI Civs personality too much, attempting to identify a particular behavioral pattern for each Civ. But they are not like they were in Civ IV, their personalities are completely randomized. You can get a militaristic Gandhi or a friendly Genghis Khan, but they will not be like that every game. Alex can sometimes be peaceful, and Cleo might be aggressive the entire game. There is no uniform personality connected to a particular leader. It changes every game.
So is this good or bad? It does explain why Ghandi can be an un-realistic aggressive(a randomly assigned bad mood). On one point, the replay becomes diverse, on the other, there's no point in having leader names and history since the Ai don't really follow it.
I learned the hard way in Civ4, having had my fit. Your Military is your only friend, and in Civ Rev, it determines the Ai's "attitude".

So is this good or bad? It does explain why Ghandi can be an un-realistic aggressive(a randomly assigned bad mood). On one point, the replay becomes diverse, on the other, there's no point in having leader names and history since the Ai don't really follow it.
I learned the hard way in Civ4, having had my fit. Your Military is your only friend, and in Civ Rev, it determines the Ai's "attitude".

I guess it's up to you to determine if it's good or bad; if you're all about realism or duplicating history, or if you enjoy just a random game with some familiar faces and names.

IN THEORY, with all things being equal, since at least the civs do have "unique bonuses," that should (again IN THEORY) drive civs in certain directions. But again, that's in a world without friction...

But hey, given the maps, techs, gameplay, etc., who knows - maybe a 4,000 year old Gandhi stuck on an island with the ancient cities of Washington and Seattle might turn out a bit more warmongering than the one we know...

Top Bottom