Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Mining

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • Mysticism

Votes: 50 28.9%
  • No Way I can decide.

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
Funny how times change. From favorite to least favorite.

Mysticism, usually. Unless I am not going for early religion and another tech would be more beneficial.
two posts and one is a nine-year necro.

I only looked at the posts on p 2, but boy has the CW changed.

That’s amazing. I can see Mining as a popular choice, but Mysticism? Hunting??

Agriculture with less than 10% of the votes… wow. Guess people didn’t know about “food first” then.

Definitely mysticism and hunting.

I am surprised that The Wheel has so few votes as everyone needs it, it is the most expensive and leads to pottery.
Starting with The Wheel still leaves time to research another starting tech before your first worker is built.
I chose hunting because I play low level with huts on and usually regular barbarians on normal sized maps, and I just love exploring.
Germany starting with Hunting and Mining is a great combination. Especially Bismarck with the Industrious trait.
Egypt with The Wheel and Agriculture rocks too.
Looks like as you go up in difficulty mysticism becomes less usefull as the AI's bonuses will usually let them beat you too the early religions anyway.

Mining.

None of the food techs carry any guarantee of a matching resource. Mysticism is no guarantee of founding a religion, and besides I prefer a rival to do the work of building a shrine for me. Often a strategic resource is on a riverside, obviating the Wheel as a necessity for early security.

Copper or no copper, forests or no forests, I will want to adopt Slavery early on. Preferably as my first Settler embarks on their migration. So, I like to open with a food tech and then Bronze Working.

Hunting's pretty cool as my second, as it opens Animal Husbandry, gives me a Scout, and enables the last resort of Barbarian deterrent.

If you had waited another year, you could have managed a full decade necro. ;)

I find it funny how so many people back then unironically named Mysticism and Hunting of all things the best starting techs. :lol:

At higher difficulties Mysticysm is unless since the AI will alway found the religions before you

If you had waited another year, you could have managed a full decade necro. ;)

I find it funny how so many people back then unironically named Mysticism and Hunting of all things the best starting techs. :lol:

On the Medieval2TotalWar forum my Tag was changed to that damn necromancer.
It is not as organized over there and they don't have the cool Newbie thread so some of the best titled and usefull threads languished in obscurity.

But it is not bad over there I met LemonMerchant :)

Jumping on the Necro-band-wagon here but I'd pick The Wheel also. I love Chariots for early defense, it allows flexibility in worker turn micro-management, it's expensive to research, universal in needs.

Mysticism could be interesting. Abstain from work for a bit and then when mining and animal husbandry are up, do the work after that.

Mysticism is highly situational... with FIN (Korea, Inca) or Fishing (Spain), you might find yourself with the early commerce for an early religion. If you also bag Stonehenge, and you don't have pious neighbours, you could be looking at an unusual high-gold capital situation.

Probably tempting to make the capital a NE-WS city surrounded by food and mines, and conquer someone else who's been kind enough to cottage a wiggly river and put an academy in it.

I voted agriculture. Only agriculture, mining and almost certainly the wheel are really necessary before alphabet (+fishing if starting with seafood).

Going with Agriculture fave starting tech all the way. For the early game nothing beats having my worker walk up to Corn/Wheat/Rice and get me a farm. Then guaranteed that city will grow fast and we will get more Settlers out, I love having cities up and growing fast. Least favorite probably Mysticism or Hunting. The combo of Mysticism and Hunting hurts so bad, have to tech like a million things usually just to build up my first few cities. I almost always need Agriculture / Animal Husbandry / Mining / Fishing etc for the first cities food and tiles. Only good food with Hunting is Deer which is super disappointing usually, especially Tundra deer haha. Good old Tundra deer plus Ice hill cities, also I like getting starts with like 1 plains Cow as the "food" and a bunch of forests, silly map generator. Regenerate Map is a good starting tech too :)

Mining.

None of the food techs carry any guarantee of a matching resource. Mysticism is no guarantee of founding a religion, and besides I prefer a rival to do the work of building a shrine for me. Often a strategic resource is on a riverside, obviating the Wheel as a necessity for early security.

Copper or no copper, forests or no forests, I will want to adopt Slavery early on. Preferably as my first Settler embarks on their migration. So, I like to open with a food tech and then Bronze Working.

Hunting's pretty cool as my second, as it opens Animal Husbandry, gives me a Scout, and enables the last resort of Barbarian deterrent.

Agri also opens up AH. So even if you start with only animal food resources, you can still tech AH while building your first worker.

Agri & Hunting is a killer combo for Persia, since they always want to tech AH first to find horses.

Mysticism is somehow perfect with Inca, as the workerless start synergizes so well with an Oracle rush (priesthood unlocks writing).

I've voted for mining. When you have 3 food tiles agriculture is not that important since growing to 3 population is not that difficult. Waterless corn or rice give 5 production for settler, mine gives 4, with the help of chopping production will be fast enough. on the riverside mines are better with the commerce. The chance of revealing copper is nice.

Top Bottom