Ever played civ 4 with a controller?

TheCox

Chieftain
I was goofing off tonight, while working on my Ghandi game over in the strategy forums and I was wondering if I could get it to work..

Sure enough, I used joytokey, one of my xbox controllers (you can use PS3(If you need help with that, I can show you how to go), logitech, etc...) and made a few changes and I was able to play while sitting back in my comfy chair while streaming my computer to my big screen TV with chromecast and using my controller.

I know, I know.. I'm being lazy.. But I love my Lay-Z-boy oversized chair and my big screen TV lol :D

The last time I used a controller for civ was CIV I on NES.
(yeah, back in the stone ages, and get off my lawn)

There just seems to be something inherently unsatisfying about playing civ without a mouse.

What are you using to stream civ 4 on Chromecast? It's been a long time since I've had my TV set up, but I don't think it was that advanced back then.

If you have a ps4 controller, there are a few programs that let you use the touch pad. The steam controller might work pretty well too, but I don't own one to vouch for it.

When im not sitting in my sofa playing civ4 with wireless keyboard and mouse on my 46'', Im lying in bed Splashtop'ing it to my 10'' tablet. Cant remember when I last time sat in front of the actual computer monitor, and wired monitors/mouse/keyboard arent even connected to it anymore ;)
I can highly recommend Splashtop to tablet. Game feels like its made for it, though imho its best with low'ish resolution to avoid having to zoom in and out.
Hint : I use 1280x800 with auto-hidden taskbar and game resolution set to custom 1280x778 in ini. That way when maximizing window it wont distort.

Will have to check out splashtop. I use steam right now to add my non steam version of civ 4 to my list of games then stream it to my surface pro 3 when I want to play in bed.

For the chromecast, there is an option with the chromecast for browser to stream video or certain tab or even full screen. That last one allows you to cast what's on your desktop.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

A controller setup would work very well, if it was properly configured. I can imagine it being a pain to organise groups of units, allocate tasks to workers, navigate the menus...etc.

A controller setup would work very well, if it was properly configured. I can imagine it being a pain to organize groups of units, allocate tasks to workers, navigate the menus...etc.

CivIV has a vast array of hot keys that a lot of us never use.
With [ctrl],[shift] and [alt] slaved to the trigger buttons most commands will be accessible and organizing groups of units and allocating tasks to workers are already the more awkward tasks in CivIV

CivIV has a vast array of hot keys that a lot of us never use.
With [ctrl],[shift] and [alt] slaved to the trigger buttons most commands will be accessible and organizing groups of units and allocating tasks to workers are already the more awkward tasks in CivIV
I don't ever use hotkeys..i should probably learn them though lol

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

there is a great tutorial speed Civing in the tutorials section can't remember the author might be wastintime.
Lots of ways to shave off some time on those huge epic maps Seraiel is also good for great
hints on speeding up play

Top Bottom