G-Major LXVI

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 17th November to 16th December 2015
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

What are the benchmarks for epic? 150 education? 240 pp? 300 victory?

Sent from my 2014813 using Tapatalk

I have almost no experience on Epic, but I suspect that the benchmarks are lower. The faster troop movement on Epic should make conquest very efficient, which is perfect for warry Diplo.

I kind of want to try a Polynesia game for this. Swim over to the other continent early, meet all AIs +CSes, find all the NWs... Early CS influence is so good, and Polynesia can get more of it than anyone else. After that, you can clear your continent with CompBows and march over to the other one without needing to wait for Astronomy. I suspect the usual god-tier Civs are still better, but you never know...

What are the benchmarks for epic? 150 education? 240 pp? 300 victory?

Hmmm, so the World Congress session on Epic is 45 turns,....which would put the end of the first session at 285 with these numbers as reference (240 Printing Press),...

The number of turns for the second session was also 45 Turns (Modern Era), so wouldn't that put a potential Victory after 330 since you need the 2 sessions (World Religion, World Ideology) for enough votes for your Diplomatic Victory conditions?

I also am a little confused,...Why was the second session 45 turns? Doesn't the number reduce when you advance to later Eras,...Is it a % of the Civs in the game, The most advanced Civ,...???

In any case - T357,...on the board at least :think:

Good early game, great early/mid then got bottle necked going for Atomic,...

I would say the Printing Press number 240 is right on the mark,...Education a little bit later than 150, and like I said Win potential 330 unless I get enlightened about Diplomatic Victory conditions, or the Session Times. :smug:

-

You need 40 votes to win World Leader and all you need for that is the 6 from hosting, 32 from 16 City States and 2 from either World Religion and Forbidden Palace. If you get both of those you can win with 15 City States or 14 if 2 are captured.

As for session times:

If the second session is 45 turns that means there are too many civilizations remaining and half of the players in the game is still in Renaissance. In the first 45 turn session you need to eliminate all but 2 AIs and reach the Atomic Era, this will trigger a World Leader vote after 15 turns. This means that the lower bound is somewhere around 60 turns after Printing Press, plus some odd turns for Host votes when switching Eras and so on.

If you are doing a peaceful Diplomatic Victory you will need to get to Telecommunications to trigger the World Leader vote. This is not really doable in one 45 turn session so you will have to aim for two sessions, winning 105+ turns after printing press.

You need 40 votes to win World Leader and all you need for that is the 6 from hosting, 32 from 16 City States and 2 from either World Religion and Forbidden Palace. If you get both of those you can win with 15 City States or 14 if 2 are captured.

Yeah, you really don't need that much,...

Breakdown at Victory was:
4 from Membership
2 from Host
32 from CS (2 per Ally)
2 from Wonders (Forbidden Palace)
2 from World Religion
2 from World Ideology

Total 44

So, really you should just forget about World Religion for the World Congress, and concentrate on whatever is going to help you to advance to the Modern Era.

-

First gold medal, yay, though it feels like it mostly due to a lack of competition rather than an awesome performance. The T-349 was a peaceful victory with Babylon where I got to Telecommunications like 5 turns before the second cycle ended without even using Oxford. I probably could have shaved off 7 turns or so by getting into modern during the first cycle to make the second shorter and using Oxford to finish the last tech. With globalization and Forbidden Palace/World Religion I had 47 votes. I didn't propose World Religion in the first cycle it can be tricky to get enough votes for it that early and World's Fair is useful for having points for Patronage+Rationalism+Order.

I had a similar game with Poland where I won in 343 turns but somehow screwed up the initial save file so I got disqualified =(. Did one real attempt at a warring diplo win with Babylon also when I spawned on the same landmass as 5 other civs. Unfortunately the last two civs were really annoying, I was already extremely tight on time and when I was close to taking their capitals they both settled a new city quite a bit away. I believe the final time on that one was turn 369 but it could have been 45 turns quicker if I had managed to take them out in time. In general warring diplo wins seem very time consuming in terms of IRL time and they're much harder on continents where you need Astronomy to even trigger the World Congress. Unless you spawn on the same continent as 5 others it seems difficult to take them out in time to beat the speed of a peaceful victory.

congratz emtee, gold is gold :D

only did ze one attempt, with poly / had a great fun game killing off a lot of cities which did cause a bit of unhappiness with the folks back home

would have been good to have an opponent in the mix to gift lousy puppets in hindsight

kind of started enjoying epic games / kind of

Top Bottom