To settle on the 1st turn or wait. What do as your 1st reasearch

To all. I noticed that Firaxis posed a article about do you build your 1st city on the 1st turn or explore. I personally try for the 1st turn but I have gone up to 10 turns before I found maximum city expansion.

As for starting research I always go for pottery as I get to build a granary and this helps with the population increase. I have found that once that is researched no matter what level. The population will stay happy. As a full stomach makes a happy population

This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I do not mind. Just dont be rude

:mischief::king:

10 turns? Tell me did you ever win those games when you waited that long since the other Leaders will have a massive head start on you?

I learned from hard experience to settle my first city within the first 3 turns. Immediately if at all possible and only on the 3rd if where I spawned was dire. Never 10.

I often settle on the second turn, if you get a hill you almost immediately recoup the hammers, and "research" at first is dominated by how many ruins you find (culture, tech finds, pop, even gold matter more than your early breakers).

I hardly ever settle on 3, usually only if my warrior finds a natural wonder, otherwise I make the best of what I can settle at the end of turn 2.

Yeah, what he said.

On Spain starts I have a bad habit of spending "just one more turn" looking for Solomons mines. Then it's turn 30 and I see that the Natural Wonder that I spawned next to is in the first ring of a neighboring CS. Yar!!!

On Spain starts I have a bad habit of spending "just one more turn" looking for Solomons mines. Then it's turn 30 and I see that the Natural Wonder that I spawned next to is in the first ring of a neighboring CS. Yar!!!

I find that 80% of the time, NWs are inside the 2nd/3rd ring of a CS. Truly annoying!

But on topic, I usually settle in place, but sometimes move to a hill or river/mountain.
99% of the time, pottery first. I want to get shrines up.

Never 10 turns. There are games where it is just too obvious to move that first settler a space or two, maybe three. Always move the warrior first to see whats up.

Best delay settling for me gave me a Panama canal right in the middle of the Continent with no passage North or South. I was the only player that could get from Ocean to Ocean without going around the other Continent.

That worked out great in so many ways. Huge advantage, I would have kicked myself if I hadn't moved that first settler.

I'll first move my warrior to see what's in that direction, and if I think that my starting position is crap I'll move around a bit. If I see any great spots in my observable area, I'll plop there, but if I don't like anything I'll move around a bit.

As far as research goes, if I need to get a religion, I'll go Pottery first (but recently I haven't been seeing the huge reason to have my religion). If I decide not to chase a religion, I'll beeline my techs to get to the first available UU or UB for that Civilization. Then go from there.

Usually 1 to 3.

An abysmal location could warrant more turns to reach better terrain. Losing 5 turns for going from crap to good is a good move, it's pretty easy to figure out that those 5 turns lost of prod/food are worth the better tiles in the long run.

First tech should be Pottery or Animal husbandry depending on where you are (plains) and how many scouts you plan to make (more scouts makes delaying pottery fine).

The most suitable spot could be a hills, river, coast city, imho, because you get the extra hammer at the start, can build a watermill from the river and get a lighthouse in case there's fish or any other luxury resource in the ocean or large body of water.. 5 turns of movement to settle could be worth it.

I have a screen shot that shows Lake Victoria and Mt. Kailash within seven tiles of the spot I founded on, turn 3 (darn rivers).
With King Solomon's Mines 12 hexes away in a different direction.

As Venice.

To all. I noticed that Firaxis posed a article about do you build your 1st city on the 1st turn or explore. I personally try for the 1st turn but I have gone up to 10 turns before I found maximum city expansion.

As for starting research I always go for pottery as I get to build a granary and this helps with the population increase. I have found that once that is researched no matter what level. The population will stay happy. As a full stomach makes a happy population

This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I do not mind. Just dont be rude

:mischief::king:

This is of course on a marathon game. I have one once on a small map after 5 moves by culture. And that was just

Moving your settler can be very beneficial if you see something much better nearby such as a mountain, coast or amazing land. I sacrificed 3 turns to settle on a mountain, river, coastal, wine tile. Well worth it later in the game when you have cargo ships and an observatory.

Granaries give you food and have nothing to do with happiness. They actually make you grow faster which increases your need to obtain happiness.

I have a screen shot that shows Lake Victoria and Mt. Kailash within seven tiles of the spot I founded on, turn 3 (darn rivers).
With King Solomon's Mines 12 hexes away in a different direction.

As Venice.

What size of map did you play at? It's not a big deal to get 2 natural wonders in one city (other than coral reef) when playing on tiny (4-player) map.

Or if you use Really Advanced Setup mod. I messed around it a bit, and ended in my last game with Sri Pada right next to my capital, Solomon's mines and Kilimanjaro in third ring, and Fountain of Youth in fourth ring (so out of workable range, but close enough to spread the borders there and get the huge bonus happiness).

The kicker, I am playing Spanish (on marathon).

It was a 6-player map I believe. I don't know if I set it up as a standard or small map, though. Sweden, Spain, Poland, Monty, Dido, and doge Dandolo.

Or if you use Really Advanced Setup mod. I messed around it a bit, and ended in my last game with Sri Pada right next to my capital, Solomon's mines and Kilimanjaro in third ring, and Fountain of Youth in fourth ring (so out of workable range, but close enough to spread the borders there and get the huge bonus happiness).

The kicker, I am playing Spanish (on marathon).

=> Played dice with the universe
=> rolled God

:crazyeye:

Top Bottom