Open call for Planetfall PBEM players

Maniac

Apolyton Sage
Anyone interested in playing a Planetfall PBEM with GeoModder, Pfeffersack and me?

We'll include AIs for the slots not taken by human players. Starting era will be Expansion era. While it hasn't been discussed, I assume we'll be playing on a standard sized map. The other settings are still open.

If you're interested, please include the difficulty level you play on in your post. It's relevant to know if we're gonna include AI players in the game.

Well, I am interested. I have a few questions, though.

What are the requirements for playing the game? For example, do I need to make a turn (or several) each day? Planetfall is a bit longer than SMAC in terms of game turns, and if there is no limit on how long one makes his turn, the game can become very drawn out.

On the other hand, there are always circumstances beyond one's control. I propose a team play, where, if one can not make his move, his partner would step in and keep the game going. If there is an odd number of players, well, Maniac, being the mod creator, would probably do fine even without a teammate and, being the game 'host', is the least likely person to leave midgame. :)

I have never before played games with anyone from this community, so I would be glad if you told me if there are any home rules, or anything else I should know beforehand.

As for the faction, I would settle for Spartan Federation. I feel a little bit uncomfortable playing on emperor in the beginning, so it might be a good idea not to raise the difficulty further.

AFAIK, it wasn't. Maniac is probably quite busy, and this game can't really take off until October because of my upcoming vacation. ;)

Team play I think would be out, because we would be only with four. Its not intended as a kick&scream match with the most agressive victorious (at least not for me).
Also, I already raised the question of delays due to vacations and such, and it seems a delay now and then wouldn't be an issue because, we have to face it, there aren't regulars doing MP matches in Planetfall.
Oh yes, and it seems Pfeffersack took dibs on the Spartans... :scared:

Yeah sorry busy busy. Not too busy to play a PBEM turn ;) but I don't like to be in a state of hurry when replying to people.

GeoModder pretty much said it all.

I doubt we'll find enough people to have a team play, considering you're the only one to have replied so far.

Pfeffersack already took dibs on Sparta indeed.

Monarch or Emperor seems the prefered difficulty level so far.

Then I guess its either Miriam or Zakharov. I was never good with hybryds, so no Deirdre and Yang.

I choose Zakharov for familiarity. I haven't played Miriam since the new culture system was implemented.

I think this game is ready to start. Everyone has given a faction choice.

In summary. Tell me if anything's wrong.

Maniac - Pirates
Pfeffersack - Spartans
nevill - University
GeoModder - Angels

Standard-sized map
11 players
Emperor difficulty
Expansion starting era

only game option selected is 'No Tech Brokering' - the University ignores this restriction as part of their leader trait

People need to supply their e-mail addresses so we can forward each other the turn. You'll need to set a password for the first turn. It might be prudent to forward all our password to a neutral person who doesn't participate in the game, for the eventuality one of us disappears.

Does anyone know what an SMTP server is? Apparently you can get turns mailed to the next player automatically if you set your SMTP server in Your Details.

People need to supply their e-mail addresses so we can forward each other the turn. You'll need to set a password for the first turn. It might be prudent to forward all our password to a neutral person who doesn't participate in the game, for the eventuality one of us disappears.

Does anyone know what an SMTP server is? Apparently you can get turns mailed to the next player automatically if you set your SMTP server in Your Details.

Nice.

My turns will always find their mark at GeoModder ta hotmail tod com (reverse "ta" and "tod" and replace with the typical characters ;) ).

On SMTP servers, I tried to enable it back in the day, but never could figure it out.

My adress: spb.nevill ta gmail tod com.

Where do I send my password?

It would be nice to organize the turn order depending on when everybody makes their turns. I would probably play most of my turns at 18:00 GMT.

Where do I send my password?

I still need to ask someone. I'll do so after the game has actually started.

It would be nice to organize the turn order depending on when everybody makes their turns. I would probably play most of my turns at 18:00 GMT.

:goodjob:

IIRC GeoModder usually plays later than 18h00 GMT, and I somewhat later than Geo. I don't know about Pfeffersack.

IIRC GeoModder usually plays later than 18h00 GMT, and I somewhat later than Geo. I don't know about Pfeffersack.

Usually I have two windows: between 15-16u GMT, and 20-21u GMT (after work, and before bedtime).

So that leaves GeoModder/Me -> Maniac -> Pfeffersack as the preferred order. Pfeffersack gets the biggest time window for the turn, because we do not know when exactly he is available.

Is there going to be a moderator for the game? The man we send our passwords to would be ideal for the task if he doesn't mind some extra responsibility.

Is the map going to be random? Not quite fond of the idea since Planetfall is extremely sensitive to starting locations (and who do you get as neighbours), though the discrepancy between the best and the worst is somewhat lessened when players start apart from each other.

Due to a computer malfunction I won't be able to kickstart the game until in all likelihood Thursday. Not that this delay matters, since GeoModder is on vacation until Saturday/Sunday anyway.

I ran into some problems while changing ISP, which means I won't be available until Monday/Tuesday.

I realize this thread is a bit old, but it's still on the first page, so I hope I'm not breaking a rule by posting in it.

Obviously it is far too late to get in on the game that was started back then. As far as I can tell, that game has ended. If you guys (any or all) decide to start another PBEM Planetfall game, I'd be interested in participating. Personally, I generally play at Warlord level, so I'm (perhaps) not up to your caliber, but I'd be willing to try a harder level. I have a minor preference for playing either of the Gaians or the Morganites. At this point in time, I am available to take turns in early afternoon, late afternoon, evening, and for a few hours post-midnight EDST, which could easily mean being able to take more than one turn most days.

I will not be surprised if there are no responses to this, but will be happy if there are. Have a nice day.

Have a nice day as well.
It seems Maniac is a bit busy these last weeks, but perhaps when that's over he'd like to start a test with the latests version (v16).
The current game (officially still in progress) is on v15.

I'd like to start another game at some point, but not before I have implemented some new features. I have no idea when/if I'll get to those.

Top Bottom