Rank the Civs?

cairnsy44

Gooner - first class
Curious as to see what people are making of the BNW civs. Would like to see people's top 5 (if you have been fortunate enough to play that many times).

I have only been able to play once. I am nearly finished my initial game as the Shoshone. I have really enjoyed them and foresee a lot of my games as that civ. So let's see those rankings and a little explanation?

thanks!

Poland and Brazil are my number ones.

Haven't tried Venice yet but with BNW favoring tall civs and the doubled trade routes I bet they'll work just fine.

Morocco, not bad, even small culture boosts help early on but dwindling effectiveness later on. Possibly attracts more money from foreign traders though? Didn't pay enough attention to compare.

Portugal, no problem with them. More gold from trade routes, I don't really know all the math but the increase is noticeable anyway. Didn't try Nau spam yet.

Shoshone, seems decently powerful although I dislike the choice of a semi-nomadic tribe as a Civ empire. Getting more ground early is very helpful for lots of things.

Indonesia, don't really like having to found cities on different continents to get that UA bonus. I hate the power roulette UU as well, but it's not a total disaster. Candi could be quite potent if micromanaged well.

Zulu and Assyria in the rubbish bin. Neither is bad on the paper, but currently warmongering is not a very sound strategy and that's what these two are only good at.

I haven't played them all but I'll give it a go:

1. Assyria [Have yet to play this]. With their library providing a great literature slot early, you can rack up early tourism and have one of the most OP units in the game, the siege tower. Add in a free tech per city and go on a rampage
2. Poland - Free Social policies is incredibly powerful, it allows for a diverse strategy and a kick when you need it. The Winged Hussar is a powerful unit but less so than both the Impi and Siege Tower
3. Shoshone - Free land and the pathfinder can lead to some snowballing starts. Sort of chancey, but incredibly powerful often
4. Morocco - More gold from routes and the Kasbah make it a solid middle civ, the Kasbah + Petra can lead to an incredible city and with less cities needs in BNW, can make Morocco a powerhouse
5. Zulu - Impis are the most powerful direct melee unit out there. You don't have to be an AI to swarm kill everything with these
6. Portugal - A useful ability, a decent UB [But with city states not that hard to get its somewhat meh imo atm]

And then so on :p

I only played with 3 civs so far, Venice, Shoshone, and Assyria.

1. Venice- Double the amount of trade, awesome unique unit, and commercial powerhouse.
With Venice, I like to go super Tall, and aim for a diplo or Tourism victory. At most I puppet 2 CS (so that they can send food to Venice) and master the trade routes.
2. Shoshone- Pathfinder and extra tiles with home turf defense bonus? You can go wide, or Tall, either way Shoshone does it better then the rest. Commache is an underrated unit also, I love the extra speed and pillaging. Very Versatile
3. Assyria- Favorite UA, and the Royal Library is an awesome little building to have. The extra slot for GWW is cool, and the +10xp goes a long way. Always using them for war to catch up on techs (usually go to war with tech leaders or tourism leaders to steal their GWA/M/W) and in the industrial age, with Barrack, Armory, M.A. and B. Gate, with the +10XP from the GWW, you will be pumping out units very close to the logistic promotion to help you conquer faster.

Incomplete at the moment, but to be honest any one of these could be 1-2-3, I enjoyed them all and look forward to using the other civs.

Thanks!
i agree that Shoshone can snowball into a powerhouse. That is what happened in my one game. I love the extra land and was also fortunate enough to have Kilamanjaro next to my third city (coastal at that). The problem for me is choosing a VC. I have oscillated from thinking science win, then culture and now seem to think domination is going to be the quickest. I think it probably hurt my score to have flip-flopped like that.

Shoshone is addictive cause of expanded borders, but *every* time I start a game with that civ I get crappy starting point (???)

haven't played enough to give out a top 5, but the Shoshone definitely feel the most powerful. on a pangea map, you can get a huge early lead by gobbling up all the goodie huts. the expanded city radius also means you can move a few tiles away from a luxury resource to snag more :c5food:

I liked Brazil, but my one game with them was a bit screwed (squashed next to an extremely aggressive Elizabeth, and I fell very far behind because I had to devote resources to fending off England instead of growing my culture/tourism)

playing as Poland now and I like them a lot. more policies than I know what to do with.

last on my list is probably Venice, but that's purely a personal preference... I just found the playstyle of only having one city to be boring.

I played 2 full games, one as Brazil and the other one as Portugal. I also took a quick look at some of the civs.

1. Brazil - Great inside synergy in the UA. Your golden ages get you Great Artists, your Great Artists get you golden ages. Tourism cranked up after Hotels with all those camps. Pracinha is ok. UA is much more powerful than it seems.

2. Portugal - Mare Clausum is surprisingly better than it sounds, specially early in the game. Nau is very good. Feitoria is kind of meh because it comes too late and getting those alliances is not so hard. It is good, though.

I've only played 2 civs so far:

Shoshone: An Ancient Era civ that snowballs easily. The Comanche Riders are a good sleeper UU. They're better than you think they are. And their promotion passes on to Landships etc.

Indonesia: The UA is a location lottery. Good location = early exploitation, bad location = mid game exploitation. The payoff is bargaining chips for dealing with the AI. The UU is a promotion lottery. The Candi is the real shining star. Get Holy Warriors, Religious Fervor, Glory be to God, or the Jesuit belief. It's all good.

1) Portugal
2) Indonesia
3) Venice
4) Brazil
5) Shoshone
6) Poland
7) Zulu
8) Morocco
9) Assyria

Portugal are one of my favourites now :) love Mare Clausum.

1.) Assyria
2.) New France
3.) Brazil
4.) The Shoshone
5.) Venice
6.) Portugal
7.) Morocco
8.) The Zulus
9.) Poland
10.)Indonesia

I just can't get enough of Poland personally, I've found the extra social policies are very addictive, getting 7 free social policies? That's more than a full tree, just incredibly strong and fun. Also I'm a builder at heart and their plains bias usually give them a lot of pasturable tiles that you can boost with ducal stables.

Portugal is simply fantastic, having a huge amount of gold is so versatile, you can really do anything. Even Alexander running Patronage can't stop you from allying with all the city-states if you so desire. Or you can build up your new cities instantly. And Feitoria are excellent - being able to grab a copy of virtually every resource on the map is pretty sweet.

Top Bottom