Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Shoshone

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Venice

Votes: 20 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Indonesia should have been switched with Vietnam, Venice for Italy and replace one of the other ones by Kongo

In the case of Venice I think they chose Venice over Italy simply because of their gameplay mechanic. So Venice > Italy.

You have Poland twice in that poll and Indonesia is omitted. Which is a shame because I consider Poland to be a respectable civ but don't like anything in particular in Indonesia.

However, I consider Shoshone to be a particularly poor idea for a civ, from a historical perspective, as they never excelled in anything Civilization is about. That's not a bad thing because Civ is mostly about being on the top through harsh means but makes them weird to play. Same for Venice, except they're heavily geared to play like their historic equivalent.

There needs to be a "none" option. I really have no problem with any of the new civs.

The absolute wrong choice was Shoshone. The civilization was a quick throw together one to replace the pueblo. Firaxis even admitted to it that they were just looking for a peaceful Indian faction to put in the game that was different. However the civilization is everything but peaceful. The UA heavily promotes expansion, especially if you place a early city near a neighbor and watch half his tiles get grabbed before he can evil react. Add in their territory bonus and you can place cities on land your opponent needs, then use that combat bonus to win a war. Finally the Comanche rider was also thrown into the civilization which goes against the peaceful idea, since the Comanche were one of the most successful warlike Indians to fight against the US.

more civs is always better but if to choose i'd say european civs

poland
portugal
venice
+
netherlands
sweden
You do not know a lot about European history if you say that Portugal and the Netherlands wouldn't be worthy enough for inclusion, even if you believe that Europe is too over presented. It is hard to overestimate the impact those empires had on history. To pick them over for example the Celts just seems silly.

If I had to pick one I would go for the Shoshone, from what I understand they were still in the hunter-gatherer phase. I'll give the Zulu points that if it weren't for European colonization they might had build a huge empire.

Shoshone feel the most cobbled-together and generic, I suspect because of the Pueblo problems. I actually really enjoy Indonesia and was glad to see them - islander nations are fun.

Europe is not overrepresented IMO. Europe just contains a lot of civs fitting for a Civilization game. There have been many relatively small but significant competing powers, so there's a lot to pick from. I'm generally against adding civs based purely on ethnic merits but I must admit I would like to see one more Sub-Saharan civ, like Kongo.

Yeah, I voted Shoshone too. I'd prefer to see the Inuit civilization as the new Native American faction.

There needs to be a "none" option. I really have no problem with any of the new civs.

Yeah. This. I certainly think Indonesia was a good choice and Venice is a better choice than Italy. I argued that Portugal is a bit redundant with the rest of the European leaders, but they found a way to make them unique. Poor choice for a leader, though.

The Shoshone are cool. I would have preferred the Pueblo, but I get what they were going for. They wanted a peaceful Native American tribe and a western one, which emphasizes that not all tribes are like the Iroquois.

Kongo would have been good, as well as Zimbabwe, considering their elections are this month. Perhaps for an African Civ DLC. They could have picked the Inuit or Haida over the Shoshone, and I feel as though the Zulu could have been swapped for another African Civ, like one I already mentioned, although I understand that they were included as a fan favorite.

I think the devs wanted to avoid a cobbled-together renaissance Italy, so they went for Venice instead, who also offered more potential for unique gameplay.

If I had to pick one it would be Shoshone, they seem the least deserving and a bit generic.

I still wouldn't want any of the new civs removed, I enjoy them all.

I don't know how anybody who knows anything about history can say Indonesia is not deserving...

And I refuse to vote in this kind of poll. My answer is 'none'

Venice has interesting mechanics, but I would have preferred Italy over them.

Well, I misunderstood the poll. I would not have selected Assyria. They're actually a solid selection. I'd have to go with Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom