News: TSG123 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 123
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 123rd game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Knowtalent or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG123 Details:
Player (You): - Ahmad al-Mansur - Morocco
Victory Condition: Culture but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Immortal
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/16
Map Type/Size: Continents
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - No Ancient Ruins, Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Wonders of the Ancient World DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Special Game Restriction: Players may not choose Sacred Sites if they choose Reformation policy in the Piety Tree. You may still take Reformation, but not Sacred Sites if it is available.

Moroccan Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
UA: Gateway to Africa - Receives +3 gold and +1 culture for each Trade Route with a different Civ or City-State. The Trade Route owners receive +2 gold for each Trade Route sent to Morocco.

UI: Kasbah - This unique tile improvement may only be built on desert tiles. It provides +1:c5food:, +1:c5production: and +1:c5gold:.

UU: Berber Cavalry - This mounted unit replaces Cavalry and is a fierce warrior in the deserts of Morocco. Receives combat bonuses for both fighting in a Desert tile or fighting in Moroccan territory (these bonuses do stack).

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends January 1st, 2016.

The save will be available for download on December 1st, 2015, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

Pay attention to the Special Game Restriction. This may become a new semi-regular feature, maybe not every GotM but certainly more often than a couple times a year.

HR

Fine by me, I don't know how to pull it off effectively anyway :lol:

I have recently played a Morocco Immortal game which is possibly similar to how this will play out. Obvious gameplay is to beeline Petra :)

SS on immortal isn't as trivial to pull off anyway, I'm fine with the restriction.

SS on immortal isn't as trivial to pull off anyway, I'm fine with the restriction.
I agree, but if you do pull it off you will be way ahead those doing with out. Maybe i will try Autocracy, i dont think ive used it beyond getting what ever the achievement for it was.
Fine by me, I don't know how to pull it off effectively anyway [emoji38]

I have recently played a Morocco Immortal game which is possibly similar to how this will play out. Obvious gameplay is to beeline Petra :)
Petra is a must for this site. I am worried about food on this site. Quickly get cities up and feeding the cap.
I cant see making liberty work here.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

+1 pop for each Kasbah!!!!!! Wow. It's almost too good to be true.

Sacred Sites is next to impossible on immortal anyways. I am glad Tradition is in, and that it is immortal at least. Trade routes are a huge priority for Morocco.

Kasbah is good for petra city especially on desert hills, otherwise they aren't that appealing but still better than a tradepost on a non river desert tile.

I like that Morocco isn't immediately aligned for CV. They are TR/gold-oriented so strategizing how to make good use of that in regards to CV will be interesting based on how players spend that extra gold. (Maybe some will disregard it and go straight vanilla-civ strategy too.) And I like the risks needed to chase Petra at Immortal. Not impossible to get, but not guaranteed either. and Immortal is forgiving enough that it isn't a game-breaker if you don't get it.

+1 pop for each Kasbah!!!!!! Wow. It's almost too good to be true.

Sacred Sites is next to impossible on immortal anyways. I am glad Tradition is in, and that it is immortal at least. Trade routes are a huge priority for Morocco.

Sorry for the confusion. It is +1food, not pop, and I have fixed that now. Thanks for noticing that. The green circle-face for pop and the green apple for food were just similar enough that I didn't notice.

HR

So where do we settle to maximize our chance at Petra? Hill next to marble looks good. Send warrior there first to check for sheep/river?

BO would be Sc/Sc/granary I guess to take advantage of the wheat. Then worker/lib/shrine and beeline Petra.

So where do we settle to maximize our chance at Petra? Hill next to marble looks good. Send warrior there first to check for sheep/river?

BO would be Sc/Sc/granary I guess to take advantage of the wheat. Then worker/lib/shrine and beeline Petra.
That moves you out of the oasis and no decent food production. Unless there is an oasis on the other side i would be leery of moving there. No ruins to jump start tradition or pop. BO mon sc gr sh wor st. Though i may build the shrine earlier as DF may be the difference in getting a religion or not. Plus the added faith for buying GW GA GM.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

This might be a good way to try liberty finisher to GE petra. I would move a bit north to check the desert before settling. You want to get desert hills if possible. Either on the gold NE or even further N.

Special Game Restriction: Players may not choose Sacred Sites if they choose Reformation policy in the Piety Tree. You may still take Reformation, but not Sacred Sites if it is available.
So I guess it is okay to allow the AI to choose SS and then spread their religion to your cities for the win?

That moves you out of the oasis and no decent food production. Unless there is an oasis on the other side i would be leery of moving there. No ruins to jump start tradition or pop.

True, I hadn't considered the food... so best option is to settle in place then. Also saves you turns wandering around. Unless that warrior discovers another food source in turn 0...

So I guess it is okay to allow the AI to choose SS and then spread their religion to your cities for the win?

Yes. They can share theirs with your cities. (Nice to see you again, Mesix. Haven't seen you around here for awhile.)

How about on top of the gold next to the marble? You can still reach the other gold and both wheats (one wheat immediately), and there's at least two desert hills; probably three.

Top Bottom