Why no notification when civilization eliminated?

fountainhead

Chieftain
I remember in previous Civ games, when one of the civilizations gets wiped out, there would be a notification. Is there some reason they removed this from Civ V? I know you can look at the diplomacy window and see that their name is gone but it just seems like an odd thing to omit and I was wondering if there was a particular reason behind it.

Yeah I was thinking this just the other day, you get told when they lose their capital but not when they are removed from the game.

I guess it's because losing the capital is important for a victory condition whereas the civ vanishing doesn't really affect it, but it would always be nice to know. Any more news about what is going on outside of your area of sight is always welcome.

At some point we were notified about that. At first the notifications seemed to have become quite bugged and they never really "brought it back".

Either way, I think that with World Congress it's very important to keep track of both the number of city states and the number of civs still in the game.

you're sort of indirectly notified when your deals suddenly get cancelled/protection pledges are withdrawn all at the same time with the specified civ, but yeah i'm not sure if the game explicitly lets you know

A civ is never really removed from the game. There's the option to 'liberate' a former city if you happen to take it during your own quest for conquest, so potentially a player can restore another civ.

Top Bottom