New game mechanics: military traditions

Gehennas

Warlord
Hi!

First of all, please accept my apologise for bad English. I hope everything I wrote here is undestandable.

The main idea of my suggestion is to replace GG/GA points with one counter. Let's call it "Honor points". As soon as "Honor" counter fills, player should adopt a new military tradition or get a new GA/GG. Like now, the counter limit increases with each military tradition/GA/GG.

Now the main part: each military tradition gives an unique improvement to certain units (see the examples below). These improvements are lost during the upgrade. Military tradition can be unlocked by certain techs, related to affected units. Also, "Honor" policy tree should affect Honor points gain rate and give 1-2 free military traditions.

Before I provide with some examples, I would like to explain what problems I have tried to solve with this suggestion:
1. Wars should represent some real history events (early Macedonian/Roman Expansion, crusades, WWI "trench wars" etc.)
2. Infantry, cavalry and armor units should be effective in offence. Ranged units shouldn't be all-purpose.
3. Early warmongering should be easier.
4. From the other side, early expansion should make later wars more difficult.
5. Usually there are more Great Generals and Great Admirals than needed.
6. Cities in medieval/renaissance are too difficult to capture.

Here are some military traditions I have in mind:

Spoiler :
ANCIENT/CLASSICAL:

Rubicon is crossed
All swordsmen cost no maintenance while outside your territory.

City pillagers
All spearmen and swordsmen gain +30% strengh when attacking a city without walls. Not applied to battering rams

Cavalry raiders
Horsemen and chariots gain triple gold when pillaging improvements

Highland sharpshooters
Archers and composite bowmen gain +20% ranged and melee strengh when on hills inside the friendly territory

MEDIEVAL/RENAISSANCE

Crusaders
Longswordsmen and Knights gain +20% strengh within 4 tiles of infidel enemy city

Battle Formations
Pikemen and Musketeers gain +15% strengh if adjacent to another pikeman/musketeer.

Dismounted Feudals
Knights have no penalty when attacking cities in melee. Mandekalu Cavalry gains +25% attack against enemy city.

Pavise
Crossbowmen have 30% defence against ranged attacks. Does not apply to longbowmen.

Rotten corpses
City attacked by trebuchet will suffer 33% ranged attack penalty for 1 turn. Effect is not cumulative.

LATE RENAISSANCE/INDUSTRIAL

Dragoons
Cavalry has defensive bonuses.

Grenadiers
Riflemen gain +30% attack against cities and 20% against other infantry.

Howitzers
Cannons ignore landscape obstacles

Of course in this case China UA should be nerfed a little. Also, some techs may give free traditions.

I think a government system could involve this well. It comes up with like the religion screen except instead of Pantheon/Founder Beliefs etc., it shows Commercial/Military/Religious etc. Policies. You could only choose one of each but they aren't unique in the world and you can change them at the cost of a turn of anarchy (no culture/science). Maybe one Policy could be a unique which has a larger bonus but only one civ can take that and it can't be changed. Also, larger empires may have more turns of anarchy and the % science/culture multiplier per city is lowered/removed.

The problem with adding anything that involves a government or ideas of how things are thought/run in your empire is that it is mainly covered by Social Policies.

I like this idea, since it would makes armies feel distinctive even for a mostly peaceful Empire.

However, I think it would be better to give a Military Tradition whenever a Great General/ Admiral is earned rather than making players choose.

Perhaps the Great General/ Admiral would have a one-time use ability to unlock a new Military Tradition, but not be consumed by it, allowing them to save them to build up for an era.

I'm not sure how I feel about upgrades not staying with upgrades: it feels like there should be some benefit to outdated Military Tradions, but I'm not sure what.

Perhaps the Heroic Epic could unlock a free Military Tradition when built.

I like this idea, since it would makes armies feel distinctive even for a mostly peaceful Empire.

However, I think it would be better to give a Military Tradition whenever a Great General/ Admiral is earned rather than making players choose.

Perhaps the Great General/ Admiral would have a one-time use ability to unlock a new Military Tradition, but not be consumed by it, allowing them to save them to build up for an era.

I'm not sure how I feel about upgrades not staying with upgrades: it feels like there should be some benefit to outdated Military Tradions, but I'm not sure what.

Perhaps the Heroic Epic could unlock a free Military Tradition when built.

I like this idea. I hate getting GG and GAs because I don't want to build forts and rarely need to repair a large chunk of my fleet. Both are terrible great people!

Top Bottom