Intra-team Pitboss Game?

Lord Parkin

aka emperor
I was browsing through Civstats, and just noticed that SANCTA has recently started up an intra-team pitboss game between some of their members. (Link) This is in addition to the Mad Scientists, who set up their own intra-team game a month or so back. (Link)

So, I thought - why don't we see if we can't start up our own intra-team pitboss game? It's easy, it's fun, and it helps in team bonding. Plus, of course, it allows the opportunity for all of the team members to learn successful strategies first-hand from other players - and we all become more skilled as a result. Basically, it's all good. :)

If you'd be interested in playing such a game, just between us folks belonging to Team Saturn, then please post below. It doesn't matter how "good" or "bad" you think you are - the point of this game is to have fun, and learn new things from each other while we do it. So go ahead and join up... don't be shy! ;)

Better still, if you have a server that could host the game (you just need a computer with Civ4 and an internet connection which can stay turned on 24/7), then let us know! You don't need to have had any previous experience with setting up a pitboss game - I (and others) can help you out there. So if you have a computer with Civ4 and a 24/7 internet connection, let us know! :)

Map size and other settings and such can be decided once we know roughly how many players we will have - but feel free to offer any suggestions if you'd like to!

Players interested so far:
1. Lord Parkin
2. plako
3. Scuum
4. Dux_
5. Joshua368
6. Toch
7. hell_hound
8. DMOC
9. Elucidus (host)
10. Amethyst224
11. Clamburger
12. Hercules90

Map type:
Huge Size, Medium Sea Level. Big_and_Small, Normal Continents, Islands, Islands Mixed In.

Game settings:
Vassal states off. All other settings defaults.

Ecellent idea. I would definately participate. After demogame started, I've lost most of my intrest to play against AI and hoped that some pitboss game would start, but haven't seen any.

I could consider setting up pitboss server. I don't know if my network is suitable, but I could try. How powerful machine is required? I've old computer that I could commit for this. I wouldn't use this machine for anything else (e.g. playing civ) so would this setup require another BTS license/disc?

I could consider setting up pitboss server. I don't know if my network is suitable, but I could try. How powerful machine is required? I've old computer that I could commit for this. I wouldn't use this machine for anything else (e.g. playing civ) so would this setup require another BTS license/disc?
You wouldn't need another BTS license or disc, because it's still for your own use. It would only be a "problem" if you were installing it on someone else's computer (and even then it doesn't really matter).

As for the computer, it does need to be capable of installing and loading up the main menu of Civ4, but that's all. I'm almost 100% sure that the server doesn't need to be able to actually load up a game (although of course it might be handy). All of the loading of graphics is done on the individual players' computers when they log into the game, so the server doesn't need to be a very modern machine.

I'm interested too!
But i cant guarantee that i'll be available for turns every day .. :(
So will there be a turn timer? How fast do you want to play?

I'm interested too!
But i cant guarantee that i'll be available for turns every day .. :(
So will there be a turn timer? How fast do you want to play?
Yes, there'll be a turn timer. 24 hours in real time seems the most sensible setting. Any longer and the game kind of drags.

You don't have to be available for turns every day in order to play, by the way. If you're away, you can always queue up your moves (workers, movements etc). Alternatively, if you have a friend that plays Civ, you could get them to log in and play your turn for the day. Otherwise, if all else fails, you can always set the AI to play for you temporarily until you get back. Nothing wrong with that. :)

These kind of games are the most fun when there's the most possible players - so if you think you'll be around even part of most weeks, there's no reason why you can't join. ;)

I would be interested, should be fun, but how do you log into pitboss hosting computer?

yeah..the queue-up is a good idea! I'm kind of an inet-addict, so i'll be around most of the time.

I'm in!

I would be interested, should be fun, but how do you log into pitboss hosting computer?

There are step-by-step instructions in the Demogame lobby "A guide to playing a pitboss game".

I would certainly be interested in playing, though I can't set up a 24/7 dedicated server.

Definately want to be a part but as I said before I am at a very low skill level (though I hope I am improving). Would be great to learn how to improve in an actual game.

Cool, barely 14 hours and already 7 potential players. Looks like we won't have a problem with numbers, for sure. :)

As plako said, there are instructions around. Basically, once the game has been set up, you just need the host to send you his IP. Then you can log straight into the game quite easily. :)

plako: When do you think you'll have a chance to do a test run with your computer (installing civ, setting up a test game to log in to, etc)? I'd be happy to help you walk through the process, if you need any help. :)

The machine had hard drive failure long time ago. I'm now replacing it, but can't make any promises about schedule.

The machine had hard drive failure long time ago. I'm now replacing it, but can't make any promises about schedule.
Okay. I do have a friend (from a different website) who could potentially host the game if no-one on our team is able to. Although of course, it's usually better to have the host also playing in the game. (That way, whenever the server has issues or goes down, the host catches it quicker and there isn't as much down-time.)

Okay. I do have a friend (from a different website) who could potentially host the game if no-one on our team is able to. Although of course, it's usually better to have the host also playing in the game. (That way, whenever the server has issues or goes down, the host catches it quicker and there isn't as much down-time.)

After installing Windows to new hard drive I couldn't get network working. I've some ideas how to continue, but this will delay setting up the server. I'll try again during the weekend. Could we start the game in your friends computer and then transfer it, if it seems that my configuration is good enough.

Okay, I'll talk to my friend. Actually, thinking about it, he could just join up to our team, then play in the game with us. That'd make things a heck of a lot easier. :)

I don't want to rush the start too much though - there are several active players who haven't yet replied to this topic (DMOC, for one). Let's not leave anyone out by starting too quickly. ;)

I'll be interested in joining. The only problem is that I rarely have access to CIV on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (and, judging from my extremely slow deity game here, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as well). Of course, there will be exceptions (such as president's week in February where I'll have access every day).

I guess I'll have to learn how to queue up things...any tips? Especially on worker movements.

Also...if I queue up my scout's movements in anticipation of NOT playing the next day, but I do find the time, will I be able to stop the scout's movements the next day before it moves into the "queued" direction? A barbarian might be in the way (coming from in between turns).

I'll be interested in joining. The only problem is that I rarely have access to CIV on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (and, judging from my extremely slow deity game here, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as well). Of course, there will be exceptions (such as president's week in February where I'll have access every day). I also have internet 24/7.

I guess I'll have to learn how to queue up things...any tips? Especially on worker movements.

Also...if I queue up my scout's movements in anticipation of NOT playing the next day, but I do find the time, will I be able to stop the scout's movements the next day before it moves into the "queued" direction? A barbarian might be in the way (coming from in between turns).

I'll be interested in joining. The only problem is that I rarely have access to CIV on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (and, judging from my extremely slow deity game here, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as well). Of course, there will be exceptions (such as president's week in February where I'll have access every day).

I have barely any experience queueing movements and builds so I can't help you there, but what kind cruel job/school/etc do you have that would keep you off of a computer game for just five minutes of a day, even late at night? :mischief:

Top Bottom