Pace Mod

jwallstone

Chieftain
This is a set of mods to change the core pacing of the game, giving more building and unit production while slowing research.

Can be found on the ModBrowser under PaceMod.

Changes:
Version 3

At Marathon speed, production has been boosted while research slowed.
-Building speeds are 150% of Standard (Hurry adjusted to match)
-Research is slowed as normally (300%)
-City growth rate is 50% of standard
-Unit training costs reduced to 100% of Standard
-Improvement build time 150% of Standard
-Barbarians spawnrate adjusted to Standard

At Epic speed:
-Building speeds are 100% of Standard (Hurry adjusted to match)
-Research is slowed from 150% to 200% of Standard
-City growth rate is 75% of standard

At both Marathon and Epic, deals last 45 turns.

At all speeds, Research costs are gradually increased over the Eras, giving more time in the later eras.
+10% increase per Era

I have also written a file, which is NOT included, which:
-Increases the build time on wonders by 50%
-Increases the build time on national wonders by 20%
The goal of this is to create a bigger disparity between Wonders and normal buildings, to make them a greater accomplishment. However, I am just playing around with this privately and have not included it, given that some claim that Wonders are weak. Maybe I'll include it in a mod that boosts Wonders or just as a standalone mod.

Attachments

• Pace Mod (v 3).civ5mod
    1.8 KB · Views: 2,150
You could make wonders build at marathon speed while regular buildings get your "standard speed" reduction.

Looks great though!

Now if only something can be done about unit maintenance.

I messed with buildspeeds too in the game pacing.

Reducing unit build speeds alone made the game a bit cluster-:):):):)y. One could not spend time doing anything but building units, because the other players were too, and unit losses were replaced so quickly that losing units no longer mattered much. It became a "who can produce fastest or make the most clever move?

Also, because of the speed of builds, units were so available that defending became the primary advantage (for the city shots).

It completely reversed the game. I was surprised. I was really thinking that more units and quicker build times would fix a lot of issues, it just creates the opposite.

i made the same changes like the op to my game as well. you might increase the unit maintance cost though to compensate for unit spam. i my opinion the game plays much better with those adjusted gamespeeds.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yeah, I have to do more testing myself to get a better feel of how it typically plays out, but I think maybe a slightly smaller tweak may be better. I'm thinking the units and buildings should be still slightly higher than standard, but still significantly lower than the research times.

This is a set of mods to change the core pacing of the game, giving more building and unit production while slowing research.

At Epic speed:
-Building speeds are 100% of Standard (Hurry adjusted to match)
-Research is slowed from 150% to 200% of Standard
-City growth rate is 75% of standard

Hi, trying to understand :

when you refer to "Building speeds are 100% of Standard " does that mean if a building on standard takes 10 turns, it will take 20 turns with mod

if research on standard is 10 turns, it will be 20 turns with mod

if city growth on standard is 10 turns, it will be 17(.5) turns with mod

thanks...just trying to "picture in my head" what these percentages represent

Hi,
I like this mod very much and switch it on in all my singleplayer games. I am about to start a small multiplayer / LAN game with my friend and I would like to make this mod work. I know there is no out of the box way to trigger mods in MP, so I wonder if I could do the same changes your mod does but manually.
Could you please help me with this? I would need to know: what game core files are changed by this mod? What content do they overwrite?
Thanks.

I've long thought that reducing building time of city improvements and training time of units would be a massive upgrade of marathon. Problem is figuring out the right balance. I think this mod is going too far, as I quickly ran out of improvements to construct and ended up spawning a lot more units than I needed.

So I know zero about modding. My naïveté led me to simply assume that I could adjust percentages to my liking in jwallstone's paceadjust.xml file, but doing so rendered the mod effectively inactive and reverted gameplay back to default marathon.

Would anyone care to share with me how I can make these changes myself and have them work? I'm a mac-user, btw.

Top Bottom