Hahaha, Civilization V is all about military now.

Well it doesn't happen every game. But when it's does; it's rather annoying.

But you do need a lot of units though. If you just have a few Artillery guarding your cities; that's not going to be enough.

My point is; is that if you try to play completely peaceful... The AI gangs up on you.

In that particular game; I was friends with most of the AI.

Then out of nowhere; whole world declares war. The game states it's because of different ideologies; but I don't think so. I think they just gang up on weak civs.

In fact, it seems the AI gangs up on you no matter what. You play peaceful? You're too weak. You play aggressive? You're a warmonger.

I've found a solution though; to just build a whole bunch of units.

The AI doesn't ALWAYS gang up on you. You just have to be aware of the diplomacy. You have to be involved in that aspect. Some parts of diplomacy are counter intuitive like denouncing a universally hated civ is better then staying neutral. Or agreeing to go to war with an Ally against a much weaker friend just because they asked. All these things can actually help your relationship with the AI. You just have to pick the right allies.

America thinks of itself as a super power. No war in the world goes on without America considering how it impacts them. Same with Russia in the 20th century or Britain or France in the 19th. Every international affair affected them too. You have to have the same mentality. Everytime war is declared on your continent. Consider how it impacts you. Consider how they may pull you into war.

Finally there's a few ways you can reduce your chance for war. Send trade routes in their direction. Trade luxuries with them. It will be hard to give up that income and happiness. Sometimes I make trades that are more favorable just for the sake of the AI depending on that trade deal. NEVER forward settle if you want peace. And play your religion game really carefully. If they have no religion, then make sure the majority of the cities have yours. If they have a weak one. Be particularly careful but again try to make the majority of cities your religion. If they have a strong religion or an older religion. Then don't send one missionary in their direction. Odds are the religious war won't be worth it. Let there religion live on but surround their empire with cities that devoutly follows yours so that it won't spread too far

Why build a military, I rarely do...

sell those resources, to the warmonger, agressive civ, and sick him on your neighbors. Everybody leaves you alone, as they are already busy, and your military puppet leaves you alone, for all the trades.

In fact, it seems the AI gangs up on you no matter what. You play peaceful? You're too weak. You play aggressive? You're a warmonger.

I've found a solution though; to just build a whole bunch of units.
If you have a very strong military, it makes strategizing less important. Civs worry about being hurt, and if you have a military which can hurt them, they will try to avoid war with you. You will not be picked on, and your transgressions will be tolerated to a greater degree.

Maintaining a large military has a cost. So there is a downside to using a more simplistic approach. But this approach certainly works, and can make your game easier to manage.

Again, for naysayers who think this game isn't about war.

Just started a peaceful game as Brazil.

China instantly denounces me.

I go to war.

I literally JUST MEET Ramesses II.

DoW.

Rage quit.

Game is all about war. Might as well just rush the Great Wall.

I go to war.

DoW.

Rage quit.

Well, since you're so much more knowledgeable about the game than all of the players here who have so graciously attempted to help you on so many occasions, you should take your own advice, and rush the Great Wall. Obviously, that's the answer to your problems. So just do it.

I go to war.

DoW.

Rage quit.

It's probably just that they read your posts here and have decided it'd be fun to screw with you. :D

This game is linked to your karma. If you have no luck, or worse, if you have bad luck, then you will be declared all the time. I'm watching a Madjinn LP (Poland), he fast expanded early (because the map had enough different resources), and never got declared by his neighbour ROME who had iron. It was on Deity. The guy thought it was because Rome was dependent to him on trade routes because Rome couldn't trade with others too much. Everybody can try to find reasons why they succeed, but I say you man, it's all about karma. Karma rules the world !

I go to war.

DoW.

Rage quit.

What turn are you on when all this denouncing is going on? It can't be that early, as I cannot believe someone you just met automatically denounced you. Just like that?

And what do you mean about China immediately denounced you and you went to war. Did China DOW you or did you DOW China?

You are doing something to tick off the various AIs. I know you claim otherwise, but you never answer specific questions that folks ask you. Are you stealing mutiple workers from multiple CS's? Are you forward settling and when the AI asks you to stop are you saying you'll do what you want? Are you trying to force your religion on them? In other words, you say you are playing peacefully, but are you being a jerk to the AI civs?

We would all love a screen shot to see why they are hating you, or a posted game, but I know better than to ask; as you always refuse to do so.

I don't know how anyone can help you if you won't listen to advice or give more info.

Good luck.

If the game boils down to any one thing, it's not War. It's Diplomacy.
High level play boils down to exploitation of silly diplomatic mechanics (making the AI fight each other.)

What turn are you on when all this denouncing is going on? It can't be that early, as I cannot believe someone you just met automatically denounced you. Just like that?

Believe it or not, this is one part of the OP's far-fetched tale that is actually based on reality. I once met Egypt within the first 5-10 turns of the game and got denounced the very next turn for no reason at all. Alexander has done similar things (unsurprisingly).

The rest is just about either the OP not understanding how the game works despite all this time and advice or this is a gigantic troll-fest. Since it seems impossible for someone to be told the same things over and over and still inexplicably fail to understand basic concepts of the game, I'm heavily leaning toward the latter.

^^I've also been denounced when I first meet a civ at the beginning of a game, and it is rare. Annoying though, I agree. And like you said--Liz or Alexander are usually the main culprits. Or Shaka.

Besides needing some defensive units, I bet his folly is related to having no clue as to why everyone attacks him. Civ V, especially with BNW, is far less militaristic than ever.

CivAddict2013: Open up the diplomacy screen and hover your mouse over your current status with every civ. That will tell you why they are attacking you, except if you are extremely weak on military.

Believe it or not, this is one part of the OP's far-fetched tale that is actually based on reality. I once met Egypt within the first 5-10 turns of the game and got denounced the very next turn for no reason at all. Alexander has done similar things (unsurprisingly).

The rest is just about either the OP not understanding how the game works despite all this time and advice or this is a gigantic troll-fest. Since it seems impossible for someone to be told the same things over and over and still inexplicably fail to understand basic concepts of the game, I'm heavily leaning toward the latter.

I'm also leaning towards the latter myself. The sheer number of threads like this with no visible progression or improvement (I guarantee you that his earliest threads will read just like this one), the consistent refusal to post screenshots (how many times has he said "I might do that. How do I do that?" when asked to put up a screenshot?), etc. make any other possibility rather unlikely at this point.

But I don't mind, actually. These threads are always amusing. And the advice posted is pretty good.

I once met Egypt within the first 5-10 turns of the game and got denounced the very next turn for no reason at all. Alexander has done similar things (unsurprisingly).

I've also been denounced when I first meet a civ at the beginning of a game, and it is rare. Annoying though, I agree. And like you said--Liz or Alexander are usually the main culprits. Or Shaka.

Are you both sure that very early (before you met Egypt/Alex/Liz/Shaka) warmongering was not a factor? I have met civs that were immediately hostile, but I have not gotten near-immediate unprovoked denouncements.

There have been a few games where I warmongered early only to discover latter that we were not so isolated. My victim had met civs that I had not.

I just had a game where I won a Science victory and never built anything more than a Scout an Archer and a Trireme. Oh, and I never upgraded the Archer. On Immortal.

I wasn't isolated, I was on a small-ish continent surrounded by Carthage, Bolivia, Armenia and The Buccaneers - and I managed to be part of no wars in that 300+ Turn game. It's very easy to avoid wars.

Pro-tip, when you have it to spare just gift 5 GPT or 5 Horses/Iron to a Neutral player. They'll accept it and they'll be extremely greatful.

Are you both sure that very early (before you met Egypt/Alex/Liz/Shaka) warmongering was not a factor? I have met civs that were immediately hostile, but I have not gotten near-immediate unprovoked denouncements.

There have been a few games where I warmongered early only to discover latter that we were not so isolated. My victim had met civs that I had not.

Absolutely. I wanna say it was something as early as turn 3 that we met, didn't have a chance to go to war with anyone, and boom, denounced.

Granted, that was probably while playing Gods and Kings which definitely played by different rules, so I'm not sure that could be duplicated. Might explain why I only had it that early just once.

^^Roughly the same for me. And it probably was Gods & Kings. In fact, Alex was the first civ I met and a turn or two later he denounced me.

Top Bottom