[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

Crap, wrong game. I guess it did not save that other game. I really wish it had saved the Doviello one, though.

When you say blocked in, you mean you did have access to the ocean right? There should be no maps that are actually blocked in. Doviello are programmed to start way up in the mountain tops, since on this map that's where the tundra is.

New version 1.03 is up. All I did was clear forest and jungle in a 1 tile radius around start plots. That should help a little for those civs starting in forest, but this will make those plains hills starts(Dwarves) more relatively weaker than they were already. Also, the civ preferences allow the forest starts to be allowed so I set the elf starts to not clear them.

This works really well so far cephalo. It takes a little getting used to with all of the mountain ranges, but they serve a purpose. And I forgot to add additional civs so it's slow going meeting people. :)

This works really well so far cephalo. It takes a little getting used to with all of the mountain ranges, but they serve a purpose. And I forgot to add additional civs so it's slow going meeting people. :)

Make sure you get the latest version, as I've shrunk the map a couple of times by now. The last game I played seemed like a good size, with barbarian cities taking up a bit less than a normal civ at the end of the expansion phase. That seems about right to me.

Can you make the script to have the option to make larger maps that support 33players+ 2 spots left for the extras?

Can you make the script to have the option to make larger maps that support 33players+ 2 spots left for the extras?

I know that alot of people like to play with alot of Civs, so I made the 'Huge' mapsize proportionally larger than the others so you can pack in 18 without too much trouble. If that's not big enough, you can go to the getGridSize function and set them to any size your computer can handle.

cephalo,

Like the addition to clear an area around the starting location.

What do you think of also adding a little more tile diversity.
Currently, there are whole areas that is all plains or all grasslands.
This is good, and I like it, give you a real feel for the different locations, but it really cripples a starting city.

Any way to make 2 or 3 tiles in the city radius the opposite tile.
If all plains, then make two or three grass and if all grass make some plains?

Keep up the good work!

Any way to make 2 or 3 tiles in the city radius the opposite tile.
If all plains, then make two or three grass and if all grass make some plains?

It's very hard to do that in a subtle way. I don't want to be able to detect a BFC before the city is even placed. I would rather have the player suffer than make my map look bad. :lol: Also, this mod has a few in-game options to deal with such a scenario. Usually if you start in a plains area, you should have some sheep or some fish to get you to the agriculture civic, at that point you get 3 food on a plains farm which is plenty. You will have to find some grass soon to have a robust economy, but it's very workable to start in plains.

Unless you play dwarves or Hippus, you really should not be stuck in the plains very often. If so, it's probably because you like to play with lot's of civs and there's not enough green to go around. In that situation you might play around with the map variables to make a little more green. There are enough hills on this map that even if you are on all green, it is almost certain that you will have a couple of hills, and even if not, you can just use the native forest to get some production.

I don't use the terrain normalization functions on any of my maps because I feel that is too brute force and artificial looking.

I actually like that your script places terrain in the more realistic and separated way.

For all of the things I really like about this script I simply can't get used to being so surrounded by mountains. Sometimes there's only one way to explore and it almost feels like I'm playing a scenario. :( I understand isolation, but can you create a separate script with less mountains or less isolation?

For all of the things I really like about this script I simply can't get used to being so surrounded by mountains. Sometimes there's only one way to explore and it almost feels like I'm playing a scenario. :( I understand isolation, but can you create a separate script with less mountains or less isolation?

Maybe I can make a map option that randomly erodes peaks so that more paths open up. Personally, I think it's fun to have a little backyard sanctuary, or to send troops into a wild valley and clear the barbarians before the settlers arrive. I'm still not sure how much the AI is liking it though, :lol: I have not yet seen an AI settle in a different valley system on the same continent when you can only get there in boats.

it almost feels like I'm playing a scenario.

Not bad for a random map eh? :goodjob:

That would work. I don't mind lots of chokepoints. :D

Also, so many peaks does make for some useless tiles when founding cities.

And your generator is indeed perfect for making scenarios. People should use it for that certainly!

Awesome map script, my friends and I are absolutely loving it.

One important thing to note for multiplayer, however: The Python randomizer does not seem to sync properly. Those who are getting OOS errors as soon as the game starts need to go into the script and change the first line,

UsePythonRand = True

to read

UsePythonRand = False

That should fix the turn-1 OOS errors. Might want to note this in the first post, actually, since I'm pretty sure that multiplayer use of this script is impossible without this change.

Awesome map script, my friends and I are absolutely loving it.

One important thing to note for multiplayer, however: The Python randomizer does not seem to sync properly. Those who are getting OOS errors as soon as the game starts need to go into the script and change the first line,

UsePythonRand = True

to read

UsePythonRand = False

That should fix the turn-1 OOS errors. Might want to note this in the first post, actually, since I'm pretty sure that multiplayer use of this script is impossible without this change.

The map is supposed to detect a network game and turn off python rands, but I think I found a bug in my logic. I'll go ahead and fix that so nobody has to worry about it.

1.04 is now published.

It should now properly detect network games and avoid OOS errors.

I added a tuning variable(SoftenPeakPercent) to diminish the number of peaks so that fewer peaks can be used, BUT I set the variable with a default of zero because through testing I discovered that the peaks not only create the strategic chokepoints that I like so much, but they are also crucial in selling the illusion that the different valleys have different climates for a reason. When valleys with different climates touch each other without massive peaks to separate them, it really looks bad in my opinion. In any case, you now can decide for yourself whether there should be all these massive peaks everywhere.

Top Bottom