Civilisation mod won't update correctly?

Rew3re

Chieftain
I've starting creating this mod which adds a Heian era japanese civ to the game, odne mostly using Kael's and other supplements.

I cannot find a solution to this specific issue but I cannot. It appears as if some of my files are not updating the database and some only partially.

When I run the mod and select the civ this appears:
Spoiler :

From what I can gather, the text won't update, and it's updating the civ with an old version (?) My original civ did use Elizabeth's portrait when I first tested it, but I since changed it to Oda but it has not updated. Also I have since changed the trait since I last tested it with my own custom trait, The Tale of Genji, below is the XML for that trait and it's refferal in the civ XML.

Spoiler :
<GameData>
<Traits>
<Row>
<Type>TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI</Description>
<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI_SHORT</ShortDescription>
<GreatPeopleRateModifier>50</GreatPeopleRateModifier>
</Row>
</Traits>
<Trait_ImprovementYieldChanges>
<Row>
<TraitType>TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI</TraitType>
<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_LANDMARK</ImprovementType>
<YieldType>YIELD_CULTURE</YieldType>
<Yield>5</Yield>
</Row>
</Trait_ImprovementYieldChanges>
</GameData>

Spoiler :
<Leader_Traits>
<Row>
<LeaderType>LEADER_FUJIWARA</LeaderType>
<TraitType>TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI</TraitType>
</Row>
</Leader_Traits>

The UU and the UB have updated correctly it seems (without text). Also when ever attempting to load the civ into a game or see the civ list the error message of:
Spoiler :

And others reffering the various sizes of images, despite files with these names not existing and not being referred to in the XML.

Could someone let me know what is going on and how to possibly fix it, this is my first Civ V mod so very inexperienced here.

Have you checked your logs? If that doesn't help, feel free to attach your built mod so we can help fix it. You haven't provided enough information for meaningful help to all the problems you're having. In general, though:

1. Re: the TXT_KEY errors, either you've added a duplicate TXT_KEY entry, or there is a syntax error in your game text XML causing it to fail before the entries in question are added.
  2. Re: the Elizabeth -> Oda change, it sounds like you forgot to "Build" the mod in ModBuddy after you made your changes.
  3. Re: missing images, the game looks for various size image files with the numeric suffix added which you are required to supply.

This thread provides a good base for making a new civ after you get the basics from Kael's wonderful but somewhat outdated guide.

I've attached the bult mod for reference.

The broad suggestions have fixed some problems but still the text one persists.

Attachments

• Heian Civilisation (v 1).zip
    73.7 KB · Views: 28
TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OSAKA exists in the base game, so you'll be getting an error along the lines of "key already exist" in database.log, which will be causing the ENTIRE xml file to be rejected, which will cause all the other missing text entries

I changed that and gave them unique names but the text problem still persists, as does the image issue.

What is the difference between the ALPHA_ATLAS and the regular ATLAS? Also, how do civilopedia entries work?

Thanks for all the help so far btw.

None of your art is imported to VFS, which is why the custom art is showing up as a red box.

All the issue are fixed, so thanks for all the help on that, however, the text problem persists.

When I run the game, the database.log states
Spoiler :
[6133.522] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[6133.522] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[6133.522] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with values (TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI, The Tale of Genji, ).
[6133.522] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file XML/NewText/Heian_GameText.xml.
[6133.522] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[6135.815]

However, I have no idea which tags are not unique as I changed the city names to include _MOD in all their titles.

Whoward69 is right. (whoward's always right. ;) little rule of thumb)
we can see here that it's defined twice:
Spoiler :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Created by ModBuddy on 4/20/2014 3:55:19 PM -->
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MEACO">
			<Text>Heian-kyo</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_EDO">
			<Text>Edo</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OSAKA">
			<Text>Osaka</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_HEIAN_ADJECTIVE">
			<Text>Heian</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_HEIAN_DESC">
			<Text>Heian Empire</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_HEIAN_SHORT_DESC">
			<Text>Heian</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_HEIAN_HEADING_1">
			<Text>History</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_HEIAN_TEXT_1">
			<Text>
				During the Heian period of Japanese history, the Hokke managed to establish a hereditary claim to the position of regent, either for an underage emperor (sessh&#333;) or for an adult one (kampaku)[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]. Some prominent Fujiwaras occupied these positions more than once, and for more than one emperor. [NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
				Lesser members of the Fujiwara were court nobles, provincial governors and vice governors, members of the provincial aristocracy, and samurai. The Fujiwara was one of the four great families that dominated Japanese politics during the Heian Period (794&#8211;1185),[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
				and the most important of them at that time. The others were the Tachibana, the Taira and the Minamoto. The Fujiwara exercised tremendous power, especially during the period of regency governments in 10th and 11th centuries, having many emperors as practically puppet monarchs.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
				The Fujiwara dominated the government of Japan 794&#8211;1160. There is no clear starting point of their dominance. However, their domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate (i.e., Kamakura shogunate) under Minamoto no Yoritomo in 1192.
			</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_FUJIWARA_HEADING_1">
			<Text>History</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_FUJIWARA_TEXT_1">
			<Text>
				In the ninth and tenth centuries, much authority was lost to the great families, who disregarded the Chinese-style land and tax systems imposed by the government in Kyoto. Stability came to Heian Japan, but, even though succession was ensured for the Imperial family through heredity, power again concentrated in the hands of one noble family, the Fujiwara.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]

Family administrations now became public institutions. As the most powerful family, the Fujiwara governed Japan and determined the general affairs of state, such as succession to the throne. Family and state affairs were thoroughly intermixed, a pattern followed among other families, monasteries, and even the imperial family.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]

As the Soga had taken control of the throne in the sixth century, the Fujiwara by the ninth century had intermarried with the imperial family, and one of their members was the first head of the Emperor's Private Office. Another Fujiwara became regent for his grandson, then a minor emperor, and yet another was appointed kampaku (regent for an adult emperor). Toward the end of the ninth century, several emperors tried, but failed, to check the Fujiwara. For a time, however, during the reign of Emperor Daigo (897&#8211;930), the Fujiwara regency was suspended as he ruled directly.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]

Nevertheless, the Fujiwara were not demoted by Emperor Daigo but actually became stronger during his reign. Central control of Japan had continued to decline, and the Fujiwara, along with other great families and religious foundations, acquired ever larger sh&#333;en and greater wealth during the early tenth century. By the early Heian period, the sh&#333;en had obtained legal status, and the large religious establishments sought clear titles in perpetuity, waiver of taxes, and immunity from government inspection of the sh&#333;en they held.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE] Those people who worked the land found it advantageous to transfer title to sh&#333;en holders in return for a share of the harvest. People and lands were increasingly beyond central control and taxation, a de facto return to conditions before the Taika Reform.
				Fujiwara no Michinaga (966&#8211;1028)

Within decades of Emperor Daigo's death, the Fujiwara had absolute control over the court. By the year 1000, Fujiwara no Michinaga was able to enthrone and dethrone emperors at will. Little authority was left for traditional officialdom, and government affairs were handled through the Fujiwara family's private administration. The Fujiwara had become what historian George B. Sansom has called "hereditary dictators."
			</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_FUJIWARA_LIVED">
			<Text>966 - 1028 AD</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_FUJIWARA_NAME">
			<Text>Fujiwara no Michinaga</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_FUJIWARA_SUBTITLE">
			<Text>Head of the FujiWara Clan</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_FUJIWARA">
			<Text>Fujiwara no Michinaga</Text>
		</Row>
		[B][COLOR="red"]<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI">[/COLOR][/B]
			<Text>Great People generation is boosted by 50% and Landmark improvements yield +5 [ICON_CULTURE] culture</Text>
		</Row>
		[B][COLOR="Red"]<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI">[/COLOR][/B]
			<Text>The Tale of Genji</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_UNIT_METRO_POLICE">
			<Text>Metropolitan Police</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_UNIT_HELP_METRO_POLICE">
			<Text>This unit replaces the swordsman an gains a 15% defensive bonus in friendly territory.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SHOEN">
			<Text>Shoen Estate</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SHOEN_STRATEGY">
			<Text>Replaces the Granary and as well as the usual benefits, it boosts [ICON_GOLD] gold output by  15%</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_SHOEN_TEXT">
			<Text>Sh&#333;en, from about the 8th to the late 15th century, describes any of the private, tax-free, often autonomous estates or manors whose rise undermined the political and economic power of the emperor and contributed to the growth of powerful local clans.</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>
I made the same mistake in my first mod. In fact, the thread I opened to solve the issue was my first ever post in the C&C forums. Ah, memories...
At any rate, the one that just reads "The Tale of Genji" (which would be a good new GWoW) should be changed to TXT_KEY_TRAIT_TALE_OF_GENJI_SHORT, since that's how you defined it in the Civ_Heian.xml file. (Remember, Copy and Paste are your two best friends)

Top Bottom