Best Mods for Civ 4 - 2016 ?

AncientSion

Warlord
I just reinstalled my Civ 4 Complete from disc. I would like to know which mods are best to use, no total conversions. I remember way, way back i had a mod that altered textures of the map and ressources, and also some mods that add more techs etc.
Can someone advise on whats good 2016 ?

BUG, BAT, BULL and Blue Marble can all be found here:

Buggy

Basically, unaltered gameplay mods. BUG/BULL in Custom Assets (SP mode) are fairly standard here on the forums for forum games. BAT includes BUG/BULL/Blue Marble and a graphics mod - it is fantastic (i use it for all personal games). Blue Marble is probably the texture mod you are referring to. It is installed in Custom Assets and pretty much works with anything that is not standalone, i.e., stand-alone mods often have their own graphics(possibly BM itself) and just ignores it.

If you are looking for something more, you can find many mods here:

Modpacks

I don't play with large mods often, but would recommend Rise and Fall (RFC): Dawn of Civilization. A modmod of RFC. The updated RFC is fine too. Fall from Heaven is another classic if looking for fantasy, and has many good modmods. There are several other large and popular modpacks as well, but I don't have much experience with them. Many of them have altered or enhanced tech trees.

Vincentz VIP-terrain graphics pack is a good alternative towards Blue Marble, though the current Tundra textures need to be reworked, because they're very similar to Plains. You can find info and links on it in this thread that also tells about way how to enhance CIV in general on a modern PC.

...Rise and Fall (RFC): Dawn of Civilization.

RFC: Dawn of Civilization is good but I prefer A New Dawn because I think the tech tree is better. Otherwise they're similar mods.

The 600 pound gorilla, everything including the kitchen sink mod is Caveman to Cosmos . You can start in 20,000 BC and your first tech is fire or you can have an accelerated start at 10,000 BC to found your first settlement. Warning: This is an immense mod which needs a minimum of 4GB of RAM and 1GB of video RAM. A dual or quad processor helps. I played this mode twice, Noble/standard map/standard speed took me almost 70 hours to complete and Monarch/huge map/standard speed took me about 100 hours and I won!

The link for A New Dawn is down. Are their any other download links for it? Or can anyone upload it somewhere?

Try getting it directly from the sourceforge repository:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/anewdawn/
The green download button on that page should get you the current official version.

And/or see the mod's download thread here.

Note that this is now Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn 2, which has had a fair amount of development since the original RoM:AND done by the AND Resurrection Team (the original AND stopped being developed, but it was restarted a couple of years later).

Best mod imo is the mod that makes way AI smarter without changing game play mechanics, so imo best Civ4 mod is "Better AI" - http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245

Another intresting mod is "Blue Marble" mod that doesnt change gameplay mechanics but changes stuff like terrain textures

Not really a mod but a different game with alot simmiliarties to civ4 is Civilization 4: Colonization

Best mod imo is the mod that makes way AI smarter without changing game play mechanics, so imo best Civ4 mod is "Better AI" - http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245

Another intresting mod is "Blue Marble" mod that doesnt change gameplay mechanics but changes stuff like terrain textures

Not really a mod but a different game with alot simmiliarties to civ4 is Civilization 4: Colonization

Isn't "K-Mod Far Beyond the Sword" the best standard flavour AI mod for Civ 4? It took the "Better AI" mod and improved it further.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=407049

Isn't "K-Mod Far Beyond the Sword" the best standard flavour AI mod for Civ 4? It took the "Better AI" mod and improved it further.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=407049
I havent tryed K-mod, but i tryed BetterAI mod with Agressive AI turned on and it makes AI really different compare to normal unmodded AI

Like - AIs razing more citys instead of conquering them, building more units and settlers.Controlling units way smarter i.e. pillaging improvements instead of doing suicide vs bigger army defing city. Also using different building order, and different buildings prio, spending more gold on upgrading old units

I mean i havent tryed K-Mod, but "Better AI" doing really great and worth to try. That mod really simple to install

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297810

if you like Better AI, you should try Better BAT AI. It's better AI but includes the graphics of the BAT mod. No gameplay changes, just better graphics and it includes blue marble too.

you can get it here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=421897

After years I start playing Civ4 Beyond the Sword again.

I remember I played with a mod, called: PSYX's Modern world 4.6.

The download link here in the Civ4 Modpack site is dead!

Is there any chance, that somebody can reupload that great mod?

K-Mod is great but I wouldn't call it "standard" - it plays very differently from BTS.

In what way? It does make some minor gameplay changes - Serfdom grants extra commerce from farms/plantations and less commerce from towns; Vassalage decreases city maintenance; the techs for Sid's Sushi and Cereal Mills are swapped...

There's a 150+ page discussion in the Mods forum, Karadoc has spent an amazing amount of time on it and there are an enormous amount of changes. As examples - the way culture operates, religion can die out, AIs don't automatically convert to a religion. I'm not saying these are good or bad - just the cumulative effect is very different from a standard BTS game.

There's a 150+ page discussion in the Mods forum, Karadoc has spent an amazing amount of time on it and there are an enormous amount of changes. As examples - the way culture operates, religion can die out, AIs don't automatically convert to a religion. I'm not saying these are good or bad - just the cumulative effect is very different from a standard BTS game.

I mean, how do the changes make playing it different - what strategies no longer work; what goals are no longer prioritized? Compared to the many mods which add lots of new units/techs/buildings...

My understanding is that the biggest change in K-mod, and the reason Kardoc developed it, is the way AIs behave. Under K-mod, they're much more "human like."

RFC and FFH are still going strong, with modmods for both being developdd to this day. I recommend Dawn of Civilization (along with my own modmodmod linked in my signature :mischief:) and Magistermod respectively. If you are into sci-fi Planetfall and Final Frontier Plus are both very good too.

I'll have to chime in and give a shout out to a couple of my personal fav's as well.
Vincentz Infinite Projects (VIP Mod); Great graphics, good AI challenge, and the barbs are just down right evil, even with RB unchecked. If your into RB, be prepared to lose at least half of the AI's.

Realism Ivictus; Absolutely stellar mod. They just released the 3.3 version recently, and it rocks the house.

My understanding is that the biggest change in K-mod, and the reason Kardoc developed it, is the way AIs behave. Under K-mod, they're much more "human like."
Better AI mod also makes AI more human like from my experience (especially if only Conquest victory turned on and aggressive AI turned on)

Better AI have zero changes to original BTS gameplay mechanics, expect only 1 thing is that BetterAI allows Player to tell his AI Vassals to prepare for war with another AI)

Also BetterAI mod includes AutoPlay mod(optional to use) which makes AI control your civ for you from any turn including from turn 1, for any amount of turns, useful for looking how AI in BetterAI mod works.

Dunno if K-Mod is better since havent tryed this one yet, but even if K-Mod is better, BetterAI mod still one of best mods ever made in Civ series and worth to try,mainly because it improves AI without changing original gameplay mechanics at all.

Dunno if K-Mod is better since havent tryed this one yet, but even if K-Mod is better, BetterAI mod still one of best mods ever made in Civ series and worth to try,mainly because it improves AI without changing original gameplay mechanics at all.

K-Mod is based on BetterAI, but have taken the AI several steps further.

Top Bottom