Game of the Year

You could always go for the dark horse 1993 Sega-release of Action 52. That would be a real Shyamalan move.

1993 will be the hardest year for me (DOOM, Master of Orion, Ultima Underworld II, and Frontier: Elite II).

Anyway, my 1991 choice is Zelda: A Link to the Past. I particularly love its graphics, which were (and are) so lovely and polished. Furthermore, the light/dark world thing is neat, its soundtrack is excellent, and the puzzles are tricky :D

That Snes game is from 1991? (i thought it came a couple of years later). Yeah, a great game indeed :) (my first ever rpg, and i loved it)

Yeah... patience. We'll get to later years, let's keep nominations to the year at hand?

I might recommend speeding the voting up a little bit though - 2 weeks is a long time on the internet.

For 2010, I can't really decide between Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption.

I don't know about RDR, because I never got to play it (screw you too Rockstar), but I'd say Alpha Protocol wins out over Mass Effect 2 for 2010. I loved ME2, and it was a much more polished game, but AP's dialogue choices mattered a lot more.

Although Amnesia: The Dark Descent was an excellent and actually horrifying game.

And then there is Metro: 2033 which was definitely my favourite for 2010... excellent gunplay, atmosphere and so on.

Bad Company 2 was super fun and the destruction was great but it suffered from more maps that mostly had more cons than pros.

This is why I don't like having to choose one single "GOTY", games are often quite different from one another (at least usually when they are worth considering for GOTY) and its not very easy to really compare a two very different games that both excel in their own niches or genres.

2010: the year of Civilization V, Epic Mickey, Kirby Epic Yarn, Sam and Max: the Devil's Playhouse, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Red Steel 2,

Also released that year: Super Meat Boy and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.

...and of course: Victoria 2.

2010 will be interest, to test Civ 5, to overwhelm the thread with Victoria 2, to test StarCraft II, to see how many fellow players of Telltale's take on Sam and Max, to see how many have heard of Sin and Punishment and to test Epic Mickey.

Ok I tallied up the 1990 votes. Loom wins by a tiny margin. The guy who split his vote prevented a tie and Loom ends up winning.

So I guess we can move on to 1991! Can you guys do me a favor though? Post whatever you want, but to make it official can you please do Nomination= title and Vote= title for future rounds? Then I can just ctrl-f instead of reading every post. If you do that I'll definitely count your votes, otherwise no guarantees. Thanks!

Examples:
Nomination= super mario world
Vote= mega man 3

More thoughts and details when I have a moment, but off the bat my two big nominations for 1991 would be
Nomination=Civilization
Nomination=SimCity

1991:
Nomination=Turrican II: The Final Fight (much better than the first one)
Vote=Civilization (obviously)

1990: Red Baron and Wing Commander, both of which I spent far too much time playing.
1991: Lemmings.
1992: nothing I remember playing a lot. Dune 2 for being genre-defining.
1993: Syndicate/Master of Orion
1994: UFO: Enemy Unknown

1991: the year of Civilization and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also the year of Ailedhoo's birth! :D

Also was released this year be Final Fantasy IV, Street Fighter II and Neverwinter Night.

I will vote Civilization for being the first game of one of my favourite franchisees.

Ok I tallied up the 1990 votes. Loom wins by a tiny margin. The guy who split his vote prevented a tie and Loom ends up winning.

So I guess we can move on to 1991! Can you guys do me a favor though? Post whatever you want, but to make it official can you please do Nomination= title and Vote= title for future rounds? Then I can just ctrl-f instead of reading every post. If you do that I'll definitely count your votes, otherwise no guarantees. Thanks!

Examples:
Nomination= super mario world
Vote= mega man 3

What is Loom? Seriously, no one even posted so much as a description of wtf it is, let alone any real reason to vote for it as a GOTY.

That's the problem with this thread in general. There are fifteen people voting, at max, trying to decide what is worthy of being game of the year in a year most people on this board didn't even exist.

That's the problem with this thread in general. There are fifteen people voting, at max, trying to decide what is worthy of being game of the year in a year most people on this board didn't even exist.

...and that the nature of some games: Point & Click and Platforms are of considerations. The greatness Super Mario World and Secret of Monkey Island bought in innovations are to consider. Can there be only one game of the year? Considerations have to be bought with care.

Top Bottom