how much more slowly is BNW playing?

Gori the Grey

The Poster
Just thought I'd gather some anecdotal evidence.

Would like answers in the following format:

In GnK I used to get a [victory type] victory by [turn] on [difficulty level]; now that same kind of victory tends to take until [turn].

It's a lot slower. I can't provide those specifics, but I've tapered off of epic because my games are ending later, and taking longer(with most of that time being me pressing 'end turn').

Got cultural victories in G&K in about 260-280 turns, the BNW culture victory seems to take about 100 more turns for me...
Emperor player, always standard speed & size.

Indeed, I used to be able to end games shortly into the Information Era, but now it seems like everything drags on into Future Era. Which is nice, actually. Now I actually get to see those techs happen.

The game definitely feels much slower now. I got a culture victory in 2003 in standard speed on King. At this point the AI had barely started going for a science victory. Usually in the late game I'm ahead of actual history but in BNW both me and the AI seem to be well behind it. It feels odd but I prefer it being a little slower.

I play marathon speed, and I've noticed that it takes more turns to finish the game. However, I obviously play on Marathon because I like long games, so it doesn't bother me much.

it doesn't bother me much.

My question isn't intended to be a criticism of the game. I like the new longer lasting games, too (even though I play on standard). I'm just trying to adjust my mental benchmarks. I know that when I've played a dozen games I'll intuitively have new benchmarks, but I thought I might accelerate that process a little by hearing about other people's experiences.

Yes, it's definitely taking more turns for me. I've disabled Time Victories because of it. In my current game I'm reaching turn 450 and the tech leaders are only in the Modern Era. Before BNW, I'd be finishing up a science victory by now.

Top Bottom