Ideology and warmonger diplo hits

Nelsonius

Chieftain
I played a peaceful game and only dow I made was against a CS around midgame. I conquered it for its coal for factories and idiology (freedom). Everyone called me a warmonger (fine, I'm a bully.) I was friends with literally everyone for the entire game (even after CS capture) until two went autocracy. The next turn I get denounced then dowed on by both. Should differing idiology instantly overpower 10+ diplo points? Seems like diplo only matters before idiologies and just go with the flow after. It doesn't work well in game and even the states will support an autocrat or make trade deals with commies. I supposed the AI is stuck in the '50s?

Yes, differing ideologies affect diplomacy quite a lot, though if you were ultra-friendly to a loyal leader in the past, and now they chose different path, they should stay nice anyway. I think the ones that turned against you weren't friendly - they were "friendly", aka deceptive.
And I actually like how much ideology matters diplo-wise - it makes perfect sense and is virtually the only use for tourism other than culture victory.

Everything is on the same continuum, so your ideology just subtracts/adds points like anything else. You can have diplomacy that's good enough that a change in ideology doesn't flip it (but it's still gonna hurt). Just like you can have good enough diplomacy that being a warmonger or anything else doesn't flip it (though you'll have a hard time having it good enough that you can get away with both).

I think the reason people don't get this is that you don't get to see the positive/negative numbers spelled out for you like you do for Happiness.

Top Bottom