Spies

tide15

Warlord
I was recently playing a five hundred turn game as George Washington against the Aztecs, Maya, and Iroquois. During the entire game my spies in Washington and New York where supposed to do counter intelligence of course. It never happened!!! The Maya and Iroquois robbed me blind of techs. and non of their spies died. The reason I find it disturbing is that it never happened like that before. My spies in the City States rigged the elections just fine and performed their own missions in the other capitols.
I have G&K installed also. I was wondering if it' happened to anyone?.

Thanks In Advance
Tide15

Probably bad luck. When spies steal a tech, they level up (to a max of level 3), making them less likely to get caught next time (since your spy remains at level 1 if they don't kill).

One thing you can try to do is steal a tech from another civ. If successful, your spy will level up and have slightly more chance of catching spies. However, your spy could possibly be killed (takes a few turns for a new spy to replace the slot), and of course that spy won't be guarding your home city while trying to steal.

I've had games where my defensive spies didn't do diddly, and then games where they were pretty effective at stopping enemy spies from stealing.

I must of had a good run of luck. I've had spies kill enemy spies three time in a row or just a couple in a game. I guess I'll see what happens next game :)

For spies to work more effective you can use constabularies and police stations. These buildings help the spy during counter espionage. Luck also plays a factor, I recently had 2 kias from 2 failed coups with a 85% success rate. I couldn't believe it.

All constabularies, police stations, the national intelligence agency, and the great firewall do is slow down the rate at which techs can be stolen.

Constabularies and police stations slow down the rate at which spies steal technologies. The great firewall gives a 99.9% reduction in effectiveness of enemy spies while all other cities get a 25% enemy spy effectiveness reduction in all other cities.

Just a follow up gents. I'm almost done the new game I started last evening...well I still have ninety turns left but so far three out of five Arabs and one Persian died stealing the techs. I have The Great Firewall and have been getting all the police stations in my empire up and running. The last tech stolen was Combustion. Maybe the spies I recruited where double agents for the AI in the game that sparked this thread :)

Top Bottom