Unit: Paddle-wheel Ironclad (13th Oct, 2004)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi,
this is a transition unit between sailing ships and steam-powered ships - it has both sails and steam engine. Plus paddle-wheels.
This unit is quite fictional, even though it is based on many different designs of 19th-century ships.

The files:
Paddle-wheel ironclad

Attached are demo of some animations and a civilopedia pic.

Attachments

• PWXL.gif
    PWXL.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,433
Sweet Jeebus, That was quick!

It looks a little small compared to some of your other work but perfectly in line with the civ-scale units.

Excellent :D And fast... You put me to shame...

Nice work aaglo. Another unit I can fit into my mod. I think it will replace some graphix for existing unit or 2. Thanks.

Yum.
Anyone now of a steam powered early transport ship? Like a paddle boat without cannons. I'm no boatologist, but I don't think everybody still used sailing boats to cross the ocean after the steam engine was invented. If you're looking for another boat project I think that would fill a gap in the civ 3 lineup no-one(and by no one I mean you) has filled yet

Thanks, aaglo!

This is exactly what civ units should be. Not totally realistic, but not fantasy either. An entertaining "might-have-been". I love it!

excellent! A+ :goodjob:

that's beautifull

The "Old Ironsides" or a ship of that name, (maybe the USS Galena too IIRC) were wooden ships converted to have Iron siding and still had sails. If they had a paddle wheel or not, I dunno... but I know they had sail and steam power.

I know at least one ship did, it was almost the Union's first Ironclad (one of the first designs I know for sure). I'm just not sure if Galena is the right name.

Good job btw.

sela1s1son said:
The "Old Ironsides" or a ship of that name, (maybe the USS Galena too IIRC) were wooden ships converted to have Iron siding and still had sails. If they had a paddle wheel or not, I dunno... but I know they had sail and steam power.

I know at least one ship did, it was almost the Union's first Ironclad (one of the first designs I know for sure). I'm just not sure if Galena is the right name.

Good job btw.

Yes Galena was a wooden ship with iron added and was built at same time as Monitor and New Ironsides were being built. Monitor won the launching race and got to go to Hampton Roads. She was an unsuccessful vessel and the armor was removed before wars end.
Most every ironclad in the world except for the river ironclads (monitors and the others) had sails for another 30 or so years. This brings me to another point. Why are ironclads in Civ4 confined to coast? Most of the ironclads built outside the US were ocean going. The monitors and other river ironclads were built for the unique conditions of the war, namely the Mississippi and tributaries. Lissa in 1866 was fought by ocean going ironclads. If I had any programming skills I'd change them to ocean going and use the nice icon by aaglo.
Hadsund:scan:

Ok, since you provided useful information, instead of just saying "nice unit", I'm not going to nag too much. (It's bad to bump 2 year dead threads)

Good Job on your Paddle-wheel Ironclad unit.

Top Bottom