Building orders in the early going

ConsulValentine

Chieftain
Hello. My question is this... In the early going of the game, when I have roughly 7 cities, sometimes I'm not sure what to build in certain ones. If I am next to a rival civ, I generally have 2 that have barracks and pump out units, one for workers and one for sttlers, and then temples in all of them. But I don't really know what the others ought to be building, especially since they're affected by corruption (though my cities tend to be fairly closely packed). Any ideas? Thanks.

Early on, build little besides military, settlers, and workers, unless going for 100K victory or 20K victory. A couple granaries are nice, too, but other than that, EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND! That means settlers to form new cities, workers to road to and improve the new (and old) cities, and military units to protect all the cities.

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
Early on, build little besides military, settlers, and workers, unless going for 100K victory or 20K victory. A couple granaries are nice, too, but other than that, EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND! That means settlers to form new cities, workers to road to and improve the new (and old) cities, and military units to protect all the cities.

Arathorn

Short and Sweet :goodjob: , but right on the mark! ;) . The newest players
should live by this advice on ALL difficulty levels.

In the *really* early game, don't build spearman, unless you are on the front line with a hostile civ. Instead, build warriors. They are cheaper, and you can spend those extra 10 shields on something more worthwhile. Also, you don't need to build cities in a strict pattern to eliminate wasted tiles / big culture gaps. As long as they are nearby, go for food bonuses and especially luxuries when settling!! Luxuries are great trading tools later on in the game.

Welcome to CFC!

If there is still room build settlers and expand. If there is no room, build military and expand. If you can't do that, build markets and hope for the best.

Tomoyo said:
Welcome to CFC!

If there is still room build settlers and expand. If there is no room, build military and expand. If you can't do that, build markets and hope for the best.

Thank you. :)

So, is it worth the cost of building a barracks in many of your cities to pump out units (i.e. paying for all the barracks and all those units)? What if the rest of the land is crap, such as all desert, and is moderately far from the capital? Is it still worth building settlers?

more land equals more score. PLUS - later on in the game, that desert may well reveal a rather handy resource like oil!!! grab any bit of land, if its not yours then it will be someone elses! TAKE ALL OF IT!! if you dont then you know what will happen (all of the world supply of oil will end up in that desert and it will cost you more than the proce of a settler to take it off a rival civ when they're defending their cities with riflemen instead of warriors

Expand until it is absolutely silly, (i.e. never) and building barracks and military is always worth it if you plan to use those nice shiny barrack-produced vets.

Build barracks in your core cities, close to your capital, preferably with good production, so you can build your units quick.

Build workers, harbors, temples, etc, in your outlying cities to expand your borders and fill in culture gaps.

And yes, veterans DO make a difference.

I'm a big VET Fan....... nothing like marching up to an enemy city with a big shiny stack of Vets and clobbering a few regs.....

Though i must say that later in the game, Conscripts seem to defend against the odds every second/third time (my friend and i respond by saying 'he's on steriods')

just some ramblings to pass the time....

bingen said:
Not all cities deserve a barracks early on. Cities without barracks are nice for building catapults.

Question- don't Vet Catapults/Trebuchets/Cannons/Artillery have more chance of successfull bombardment?

I don't build Barracks EVERYWHERE........ And yes, temples rock.

kill everyone, get all the luxieries and built marketplaces (forget temples - sorry guys). Also, even though i tend to get barracks everywhere, you only really need two or three. Get all of your units built over a time from those few cities for their veteran status, and when your units (including you defending units) are obsolete, move them into those cities, upgrade then and then move them back. You can do all your units in just a few turns when you have roads and railroads and you will not have to pay loads for lots and lots of barracks all over the place!

Question- don't Vet Catapults/Trebuchets/Cannons/Artillery have more chance of successfull bombardment?

No. They don't. Conscript/regular/vet/elite only matters for hps, retreat and promotion chances. Since artillery doesn't care about any of those (except, minorly, h'wacha about promotions), regular vs. vet doesn't matter at all.

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
No. They don't. Conscript/regular/vet/elite only matters for hps, retreat and promotion chances. Since artillery doesn't care about any of those (except, minorly, h'wacha about promotions), regular vs. vet doesn't matter at all.

Arathorn

My friend says that bombers are a different story.....is that true?

Tomoyo said:
Expand until it is absolutely silly, (i.e. never) and building barracks and military is always worth it if you plan to use those nice shiny barrack-produced vets.

How much military? is it in ratio to no. of cities?

With military you can get away with fewer in your central cities ie less chance of attack and nearer to your Capital so less likely to cause you any snags. Have a range of forces in outlying cities ie attack/defence/bombardment.
I always build walls in far outlying cities when there is no further to expand and you have one of the aggressive civs / human opponent as a neighbour! Definitely temples!!

Top Bottom