The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

El Justo

Deity
The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991
for Conquests only

Tired of long wait times? Sick of seeing the game frozen while the AI moves around the map? Well, your wait is over. This is the fastest loading 30 civ scenario CFC has ever seen. Guaranteed! Faster than AoI! Try it for yourself and see what "fast-civ" is all about!

Each turn is worth one (1) month.

It is 1950 and the world is in the early grip of the Cold War. The United States and Soviet Union are locked in a bitter ideological and confrontational struggle for sumpremacy. Europe is on the doorstep of nuclear catastrophe. Asia, on the whole, is plagued with internal struggles and an increasing Soviet influence. The dust from the Chinese Civil War has barely settled and Mao is intent to hold the line against American advances in the Korean Peninsula. Can you defend "liberty" or sow the seeds of Stalin and Mao and prevent "mutually assured destruction" at the same time?

TCW 1.6 Victory Conditions & House Rules

Download Instructions

I'm afraid that all who have any other version of TCW will have to DL this new file here in order for v1.6 to run properly. I apologize for this inconvenience. It is in the best interests to have one whole, complete DL instead of a 'patch'.

you can download TCW 1.6 here.
the file is in win.zip format
unzip it into your "Scenarios" folder of Conquests and
make sure the biq file (below) is in the "Scenarios" folder also
Click on "Civ Content" and you're set!

be sure to DL the biq file at the bottom of this post!

EDIT 18 October 2005 - Version 1.6
Version 1.0 removed after 78 DLs
Version 1.1 removed after 37 DLs
Version 1.2 removed after 874 DLs
Version 1.3 removed after 56 DLs
Version 1.4 removed after 3794 DLs
Version 1.5 removed after 1013 DLs
Version 1.51 removed after 1058 DLs

click here to check out what some of the changes are for v1.6

Get TCW Huge "The Fifties" here

EDIT 10 SEPTEMBER 2005
TCW mp v1.51 by Klyden is here!

Its description can be found here
get the biq file here

EDIT 24 AUGUST 2005

psweetman1590 has created an alternate version of TCW which starts in 1976 instead of 1950. the file runs off of the standard TCW files and the biq file can be found in the link below :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5167630&postcount=3968

MaxRiga has created a "micro" version of TCW1.5. It is essentially each civ with 1 city and the map is much smaller. It is designed for those of you who have small or really slow PCs. It runs entirely off of the original TCW folders and the biq file can be found here

Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TCW Fifties Download Information

Click here to reach the DL page for TCW Fifties

Attachments

• TCW1.6.zip
    106.8 KB · Views: 19,298
Version 1.5 - 8 August 2005

There are 30 civs total and each and every one is completely playable. I have taken painstaking efforts to assure this feat.

There are 2 main alliances in v1.5:
NATO type alliance (not completely historically accurate) - US, UK, Canada, France, W Germany/Lowlands, Scandinavia, Yugoslavia, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain/Portugal, Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan, South-East Asia, Japan, Australia/New Zealand, Indonesia, Israel, Central America, Colombia/Venezuela/Peru, Brazil, and South Africa

Warsaw Pact type alliance (again, not wholly accurate but...) - Soviet Union, Arab League, Central Africa, and Cuba

not alligned: China/N Korea, India, N Africa, N Vietnam, Argentina/Chile/Bolivia

Some may question the validity of this set-up but the alternative to this would (and did as per extensive play-testing) result in a mish-mash of different civs engaging in non-historical war. I wanted to avoid Spain invading Israel if you know what I mean. Furthermore, the Arab League is alligned with the Soviets by default and to avoid the Reds from overrunning this position (also as per play-testing). China/N Korea is not alligned with anyone at all. The North Vietnam position is also unalligned and designed to be a 'proxy' location. The Arg/Chile/Bol non-alligned position, which may also be questionable, is in place to spice things up some in South America.

The following civi has been added for v1.5:
North Vietnam

The following civis have been merged for v1.5:
Iran with Pakistan & Afghanistan

Below is the intro screen with all of the civis...

Attachments

• TCW1.5civis.JPG
    TCW1.5civis.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 20,506
The feature that sets this scenario apart from other Cold War era scenarios is the multitude of different units. There are 491 (TCW 1.4 had 249) of them in total! Every single unit in this scenario has a specific purpose. There are dozens of UUs. As a matter of fact, every unit is a unique unit just about.

For the complete listing of v1.5 units, click here.

Below is a comprehensive breakdown on all of the unit lines for TCW:

Foot Units
There are now two (2) tiers of infantry-type units for v1.5: a 'Postwar' variant and a 'Modern' variant. This includes all 'Infantry', 'Marine', and 'Paratrooper' type unit.

Below is the complete composition of foot units:

Infantry, Amphibious (Marine), Airborne Infantry, Special Forces (US, UK, Soviet, Israeli, Australian only), Spys, Workers, Civil Engineers

Mechanized Units
Towed Artillery, Self-Propelled Artillery, multiple MBTs per civ (upgradable), APC's & Mechanized Infantry, Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Rocket-Propelled AAA, Tactical Nukes, ICBMs, Cruise Missiles & Chemical Warheads

BOLD = unbuildable & autoproduced by specific small wonders

Air Units
Bombers, Fighters, Fighter-Bombers, Ground Attack Aircraft, Utility Helis, Attack Helis, Satellites, and Spy planes

Sea Units
SSs, SSNs, SSBNs, Destroyers, Amphibious Assault Transports, Cruisers & Carriers

A note on v1.5 sea units:
Each civ now has a complete line of unique sea vessels. Gone are the generic subs, destroyers, and frigates. In now is whole unit lines spanning from 1950 through the early 1990s. Most enhanced were the submarine lines for all civis.

Ultra Unique Units - (UUUs)
These are the units that are autoproduced by the civ-specific wonders that are either pre-placed or can be built once a certain tech is researched. I have taken tremendous efforts to ensure that only the applicable civ can build any non pre-placed wonder. Here is the list...

Dutch Infantry
Cuban Revolutionary
FARC Guerilla (S America)
Viet Cong Guerilla (Warsaw Pact)
ARVN Infantry (SE Asia)
Republican Guard (Arabs)
Palestinian Guerilla (Arabs)
Mujahideen Guerilla (Afghans)
North Korean Infantry
Polish Infantry
South Korean Infantry
Revolutionary Guard (Iran)

Attachments

• TCW1.5WP.JPG
    TCW1.5WP.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 24,769
No doubt that this Civilopdia is the most extensive and informative to have ever been assembled. There is an entry for every single unit, improvement, small wonder and great wonder. So please, whatever you do, read the entries because it took a longgggg time to put it together. There are also a few secrets tucked into it!

For more information on the Cold War, see the CNN Cold War website. It's chock-full of all kinds of cool stuff.

The Cold War has three (3) total eras and 504 total turns (though it's not locked on 504):

"1950-1959"
"1960-1975"
"1976-1991"

Every civi starts off in the "1950-1959" era.

Each and every tech unlocks either a unit, improvement, wonder (small or great) or a combo of the four.

Just about all of the default civ3 improvements are buildable. A few alterations have been made but overall, the improvements that you know and have built during your epic games can be built in TCW.

There are also a multitude of Small Wonders that can be built, They range from "ICBM Plant" (applicable civs only), "Officer Training School" to the space ship parts needed to build the "Ballistic Missile Shield".

The Great Wonders available also provide a variety of different effects. Wonders such as "Rock-n-Roll", "Lunar Landing" & "Music Television" each offer specific bonuses. There are also the 'pre-placed' wonders that autoproduce the ultra unique units (UUUs).

TCW Credits & Facts

Primary Credits
v1.5 would never have been completed without the help of two of my CFC friends, Klyden and I_Batman. Each spent a whole bunch of their free time not only playtesting all of the different version we had floating around but also endured me spamming their email boxes, requesting their opinions, devising stats for all of the new units, hashing through upgrade lines, and helping determine which units to add and which ones not to. These guys are selfless individuals who i am happy to call my friends. Thanks a million fellas!

vingrjoe was also a great help both in playtesting and unit creating. He single-handedly refurbished the Soviet fleet with his awesome, rich textured units. Also, he constructed a units_32 file just for v1.5. However, it's Admiral Vingegar's wit that sets him apart from all of us other civers. :lol: Thanks dude.

A special thanks should be made to Wyrmshadow for him personally notifying me when he's updated his gfx and for furnishing me with his most recent stuff. Thanks hombre.

W.i.n.t.e.r. ought to be thanked as well as he has supplied TCW 1.5 with all of those kewl-ass flavored infantry units. Well done mate!

Arvln, JG_Korab_99 and Drivebymaster also contributed with play-testing, research, bug hunting, and tasteless humor :p

Units: Balou, Smoking mirror, dog, Boulboulgadol, Ekmek, Kal-El, Kinboat, Kindred72, pesoloco, Rufus T. Firefly, Steph, sween32, utahjazz7, vingrjoe (& the Unit32!) & Firaxis

Three unit makers in particular, Ripptide, Bebro & Wyrmshadow, are credited with close to half of the total units in this scenario (@ least 100 of them :eek: ). They are each unbelievable gfx artists and I am extremely grateful for their talents. This scenario would've never been possible if it weren't for these guys. :thumbsup:

Techs
Ukas & Firaxis

Improvements/Wonders
Ukas, Rufus T. Firefly & Firaxis

Map
Rhye

TerrainBuildings.pcx
Pounder; made specifically for TCW. Thanks again!

Terrain
warpstorm

Leader names (some of them)
The guys in the Q&A thread, Mistfit and Ozymandias

Other Miscellaneous Credits and Facts
This scenario would have never come to fruition had it not been for Rocoteh. He not only provided me with all kinds of information regarding troop stats/composition/placement, he provided nearly every single unit stat for TCW. Yes! Close to 300 of them :eek: :eek: :eek: Rocoteh also helped me weed out the unnecessary & tedious elements of the scenario such as insignificant units, which civs to include or not to include as well as actual play-testing of his proposed (& quickly approved!) unit stats (he tested Air Defense stats for naval vessels vs. air units). You can't imagine how much time this saved me in the process of making this beast of a scenario. Thus, without this fantastic base of support, The Cold War would not have been.

Thanks guys for all of your time!

Production Time
Early Sept 2004 to about early August 2005

Hours Spent
I'm not sure I wanna' go there :mischief:

Known Bugs
As usual, having multiple UUs in a scenario that have similar resource requirements, the silly 'link overflow' problem in the Civilopedia (Resources) occurrs. Specifically, a 'Windows'-type dialouge box appears (I forget the exact message) and it seems as if the game freezes. Well, it doesn't. I've held down the 'Enter' button for 15 seconds or so and the dialouge box closes. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about this but don't panic if you encounter this. Simply hold down 'Enter' and your problem will be solved.

Missing Components of TCW
Flags as Leaderheads.

hIdDeN_eViL said:
lookin good...
i'll download when i cn
how big is the rar?
it's 80.29 MBs...however, there is not a single un-needed file in the folders.

i skimped mostly on .wav files though there are several victory .wav's that are civ-specific (in the applicable language).

i used existing civ 3 sound files instead.

With URSS on august 1961 i got the error file not found,
..\Combat Engineer\AmericanFTVictory.wav

morfeuz said:
With URSS on august 1961 i got the error file not found,
..\Combat Engineer\AmericanFTVictory.wav
i must say that i've not seen that error. as a matter of fact, there is no "Combat Engineer" unit.

could you be more specific?

thanks.

Top Bottom