Bizarre problem installing Zonealarm Pro

Bozo Erectus

Master Baker
Ive had the free version for awhile. I bought ZoneAlarm Pro 5 just now (I figured what the heck its only $14). So I get home start to install it, and it says what I just bought is an older version of what I had installed, I have to uninstall the previous version, and it exits. I uninstall the old ZoneAlarm, restart the computer, put the CD back in, and now the only option it gives me is 'Uninstall ZoneAlarm'. WTF is that:confused: I went into the registry to delete zonealarm stuff hoping that would help, but its had no effect. What the hell could be the problem?:mad:

ZoneAlarm puts itself into a lot of nifty places. I'm not sure about the full version but you can take a look into the WINDOWS\system32 folder and delete the ZoneLabs folder if it exists.

No there was nothing there, but I did a search and found a folder for Broderbund (I have no idea what that is, but its part of the registration process) and deleted it, but it didnt do anything. I went back into the registry and found more zonelab entries, deleted them, no effect. Its no big deal, Im only out $14, but its so frigging annoying. Its weird because I was a big fan of the free version, never gave me any problems. You think installing the free version again might help at all with this prob, or might make it worse?

If you get the free version to install then it's worth a try.
Install and then unistall from the software menu, reboot and try installing the full version.
If it doesn't work after that screw it and get a decend firewall ;)

You must have missed something in the registry. You need to use the find command (Ctrl + F) to search for every possible entry.

If the neither version will install again after trying this then you will have two options left:
1) Reinstall your OS.
2) Get another firewall.

The problem was the auto setup that executes when you put the cd in. Just when I was about to give up on it, I looked in the cd and checked the Install folder, inside there was zapsetup.exe, I crossed my fingers, dbl clicked and it installed. Phew! Its up and running just fine now. You know how many people must buy zonealram pro,because they like the free version, encounter this problem, and just give up? No wonder the guy at the register told me I couldnt return it if theres a problem. Every other day somebody must show up demanding their money back.

For as long as this stays on the first page here, for anyone with the same problem:

Open the cd, dbl click on the install folder, and dbl click zapsetup.exe

erm. If you bought zonealarm pro - why did you get a cd? You should only need a license code afaik - and then you would have the latest build and no trouble. Also - I uninstalled the free version the other day, and it left me no harm when I tested reinstallation...

Paalikles, I got a cd because I happened to see it at Staples. Since I like the free version and the Pro version was only $14, I figured why not buy it. I have no idea why I experienced the problem I did.

Top Bottom