New Unit J-10 January 30th, 2005

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
Requested a long time ago... and delayed partially because of the problems with learning a new program and partially because of my own procrastination, sorry for the delay.

Now this is the first unit I've animated in 3DSMax so please any comments on improvements are welcome. I couldn't have done this at all without Ripptide's help.

The J-10 is a semi-secret chinese jet in development. I say 'semi' because several websites posted pictures that they weren't sure if they were the J-10 or other aircraft from other countries, and there was some discussion as to what the jet really looked like.
File: 470kb
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/J-10_Fighter_Jet.zip

Attack Preview:

Attachments

• J10_Attack.gif
    J10_Attack.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,351
The missiles seem awfully big, but other than that, wonderful unit Kinboat.

Cool.
I notice, that the missiles are 'in perspective' (they grow as they come closer to the camera, and shrink when flying away from the camera). So, isn't this unit orthographic, or do you just grow/shrink the missiles?

I like it. And cool explosion :)

IMO the missiles are a bit big, yes, but then I don't know what missiles these should represent. Some jetfighters can carry quite heavy air to ground missiles. Other than that I only noticed that they seem to "appear" under the wings in the attack anim, while they are already there in other anims like run, default etc.

Overall a great unit :)

This is a great unit, very well done. But yes, missiles are huge :p Well for the jet size anyways. Never knew Chinese government developed fancy looking weapons :D Shiny ones too. That's good to know. Always felt communist choice of colors were pretty bland.

ITS HERE! ITS DONE! ITS CHINESE!!!
:D :goodjob: :p

thanks for taking up and finishing my angel, kinboat, im glad you finally finished! The jet looks AWWWSUM---i dont care and dont know about how accurate it is to the real version when it comes out or is out because as you know there wasnt a "decided" final outline for it in the public with great ease to find of course;
but about the --already spoken about- "large" missles, its not really large as it is that it grows as it comes towards the subject, which is not the problem in the preview as it is in the south attack view---which really grew towards you.
now i can start wrapping up my default scenario.

@kusang
its not big, it just gets bigger because of camera angle i think.

Yeah I noticed the perspective with the missiles growing. There isn't much I can do about that. I had wanted to put the camera in Orthographic projection (basicly eliminating perspective) but for some reason 3DSMax won't render special effects in that view. So I couldn't do the jet exaust or explosion effects. They may be a tad big but the original units are very squashed/cartoony with the F15 not long enough and the Sherman too tall so I didn't think the larger missiles would be that much of a problem.
I'm almost positive the missles are there in the first attack frame. I think it's an optical effect because they aren't there for a few frames before and they drop so quickly... However I'm not actually at a computer that I can double check this on so I'll check it later tonight... If they aren't it's probably because instead of the default frame for the first frame I pasted the first firing frame in the first frame and it would be an easy fix.
And I have a confession to make... I don't know what kind of missiles they are either :D I really just whipped them up on the fly when I finally get to the attack sequence... So we could assume they are high powered air to ground bunker busters or some BS like that :D

As for the color the Blue tones came from an artistic view of the jet provided by Nameless with a Blue Gradient and Dragon decals... I don't have the picture anymore or I would provide it here. And you'll see in the Fidget were the jet does a roll I tried to get a dark to light gradient here.

That's quite possibly the most eloquent way of saying 'I'm Lazy' that I've ever heard :lol:

I just checked the attack animation and the missiles are where they should be in the first frame... The problem comes in because that frame goes by so quickly and the frames at the end don't have the missiles so you don't notice them appear before they drop and zoom off again.

Kinboat said:
I just checked the attack animation and the missiles are where they should be in the first frame... The problem comes in because that frame goes by so quickly and the frames at the end don't have the missiles so you don't notice them appear before they drop and zoom off again.

Yeah you're right, I should have looked closer before telling nonsense :crazyeye: :scan: ;)

Nope... I have plenty of images to work from :D I'll do a few but they are down the list a little bit.

Very good looking unit Kinboat! :goodjob:

I've always loved the quality of ripptides' work and you have duplicated it wonderfully.

Who makes 3DSMax? I'd like to get a copy of that program.

ripptide: I quoted you in my signature. Good explanation. ;)

KUSANG said:
Never knew Chinese government developed fancy looking weapons :D Shiny ones too. That's good to know. Always felt communist choice of colors were pretty bland.

You'd be surprised to know what these 'commies' got under the hood. I bet the chinese have got some awesome 'full' secret weaps. Lets all be a little extra careful. :)

Top Bottom