The Spanish Reconquista (RCQ)

LouLong

In love with Rei Ayanami
!!! v 1.5 ready for download (cf post 2) on the 24th of November 2006 !!!

Downloading, Installing & Version History

MP & PBEM

Strategy

Help needed

Screenshots :
A Wonder : Royal Turnament
A resource : Sheep
A unit description : colonists
An improvement : juderia
A Portuguese troubadour scouting Muslim Al Andalus
Almohads ready to conquer Faro from the Almoravids

This scenario is about the fight between Christians and Muslims in medieval Spain, also called the Spanish crusades or the Reconquista (the reconquest as the Christians considered Muslims as invaders) between 1085 and 1492. However it also includes all the oppositions among Muslim states and among Christian states for leadership or to impose a certain approach of life and religion (fanatism or decadency and tolerance for instance).
As leader of the Almohads you can conquer the weak decadent states to reestablish fanatical Islam. You can also play the pirates who threaten all coasts. You can establish military orders (templars) or even national ones (Aviz, Calatrava,...) as Christians. You can ransom knights from the enemies, discover tactics and the advantages of gunpowder.

1 turn equals 2 years for half of the scenario then 1 turn per year for the other half which makes it a long scenario, usually full of surprises.

This scenario has been tested for quite some time and is definitely playable.
It is not perfectly complete yet but this will take some time. The pedia is largely done which should be of much help to choose among the many new units, improvements or wonders.

Nevertheless some mistakes, bugs, unbalances might still be in. Please mention them or any other remark you have so that the scenario can be improved.

SP simple version : 12 civilizations, of which 12 are playable :

Muslims :
- Almoravids
- Almohads
- Nasrids
- Pirates

Christians :
- Castilla
- Leon
- Navarra
- Portugal
- Aragon
- France
- Provence

Wild card :
- Valencia (el Cid)

France and Navarra are in locked alliance.
Almoravids are in locked war with Nasrids + Almohads.

These civs are not balanced one to another to respect history.

Special scenario features :

- very fast loading time and very short delay time in-between turns.
- Lots of flavor units, both naval and land ones ( Cogs, Chebecks, Camelry, many knights, crosbows, ...).
- special tech-tree over 3 ages, with special flavor-branches of the tech-tree (1 for the Muslims, 1 for the Christians).
- the importance of monasteries and warrior-colons to control, use the newly conquered lands.
- the economic importance of guilds and juderias but also the unhappiness they can cause.
- the economic importance of ransomable knights during the age of chivalry.
- lines of units upgrading. The scenario shows the evolution from horsemen to late knights, from Cogs to Galleass, from peasant levies to pikemen, from hand cannoneers to musketmen.

Credits : Lots of CFC people ! (if I forgot someone let me know).
- el Mencey for the map
Qummik for the tech-tree arrows.
- aaglo, Kinboat, Utahjazz, Dom Pedro II, Alminium for the units
- Rufus, Ukas, Arne, Mrtn (and the people who did some of the RAR mod gfx) for the graphics.
- Aeon, Yoda, Arne for testing
- lost of people (including some mentionned above) for support, advice...
- Thunderfall for CFC.

!!! Note for players who have Civ3/C3C in French, German and Spanish !!!
You can normally play this scenario but you need the following tools (I cannot provide any help on how they work though but they should).
- French : http://www.civfr.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4767
- German : http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?t=14827
- Spanish : http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131541

You need to download BOTH files !

First you need to download the "Main" file :

http://www.3ddownloads.com/Strategy/Civilization%203/Mods/Reconquista/Reconquista.zip

Unzip it Civ3/Conquests/Scenarios where it should create a Reconquista folder.

Then download and unzip the biq. Load Conquests, choose Civ-content and Reconquista v1.51.

A nice update is the tech-tree arrows (red for Christians, green for Muslims) that you can find here :
http://www.3ddownloads.com/Strategy/Civilization 3/Mods/Reconquista/Advisors_g.zip

biq v1.51
Minor update (replacement of a tech to fit with the tech-tree arrows that you can download separately (link just above).

biq v1.5 removed after 193 views
Major update. More graphics, units, improvements, complete Muslim tech-tree.
biq v1.2 removed after 1788 downloads
biq v1.1 removed after 132 downloads
Changed some locations, changed movement down to 3 tiles on road, added pedia for wonders and some units and techs.
Corrected the Muslim pikeman in Leon bug.
Pirates made playable.
biq v1.0 removed after 63 downloads
Corrected some bugs (unit-spawning wonders, ...) and changed some stuff. No need to change the main scenario install.

Attachments

• Reconquistav1.51.zip
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,971
Strategy

SP Simple Version

A few facts :

- Christian powers are very much alike. They start weak but with time they can research techs that can give them better units than the Muslims.
Most of them are in direct contact with a dangerous Muslim power (pirates and Almoravids, especially the huge latter one). Their chance is that Muslims are busy fighting one another so they can try to gather their strength before attacking. Try to organize an alliance with other Christian states so that the conquest is effective and that another Christian power does not stab you in the back and destroy you (the Christian states are kind of small at start and movement rate is high).
A large part of the tech-tree of the second Age depends on Arabic Science. Albeit this can be researched it is hard for the Christians to do so and takes a very long time (too long to be efficient). This forces Christians to be at peace with Muslims sometimes, if only to exchange (or extort) this tech that influenced a lot European science.

- Almohads or Nasrids :
You are fanatical and in locked war with Almoravids. Build the Djihad and conquer as much Almoravid land as possible. Worry about the possible Christian actions against Almoravids as you don't want them to expand too much. If your conquest is successfull you will have to research decadency to be able to develop your new cities.
Your Ansars are very good and important but you cannot build them. Protect them !

- Pirates : annoy everyody, rule the seas, capture and pillage some coastal cities.

- Almoravids :
resist both the fanatics from the South and the possible Christian attacks. A good strategy is to make the Christians fight one another so as to keep them busy and "weak". Be careful that these wars do not generate a super Christian state that could be even more dangerous.
Your Ansars are very good and important but you cannot build them. Protect them !

- Valencia : try to resist both Chrisitans and Muslims and grow quietly until you feel you are ready to expand. Weird situation, weird location....but ready for opportunities.

At the moment this scenario needs testing more than anything else.
So please if you try it, write down a small report including level, civ, and what happened (techs, treasury, strategy, wars, improvements built,...).

In a not so distant future, the scenario will probably need some more gfx for improvements, wonders and for the citrus fruits resource.
If you want to help, let me know !

- improvement : garden (Muslim), if possible with a fountain
- Wonder : Huerta Technics
- Wonder : Toledo blacksmiths
- improvment : Franciscan monastery

If you need more infos I am ready to answer all your questions.

A wonder : the Royal Turnament

Attachments

• AwonderRoyalTurnament.JPG
    AwonderRoyalTurnament.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 6,548
A Portuguese troubadour scouting Muslim Al Andalus (while France is being destroyed by Castilla, Provence and Aragon)

Attachments

• TroubadourscoutingAlAndalus.JPG
    TroubadourscoutingAlAndalus.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 6,538
Wow, it looks very good, I must say...

It looks great! And very complete! :)

I can't wait for the DL to be available. But with so many details, I fear it might be one of those BIG downloads... :sad:

I just came home from a vacation to Andalucia today! I think I know what I'll be doing tonight;)

edit: Oh the download isn't there yet.

Hi,

I recommend you to have Aragón and Provence in a locked alliance because a local dynasty ruled until 1113, when the House of Barcelona gained control and brought about the highest period of Provençal literature and culture. They have close relationships for at least 200 years or more, with constant Catalonian intervention in the internal affairs of Provence, they have a common enemy: France.

Top Bottom