New unit: Roman Auxiliary Infantry (Apr 1st, 2005)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi!
In addition to the Roman archer I did earlier, I was requested to make an infantry unit looking like that too. Okay.

This unit doesn't have the almost-standard roman infantry attack: throwing of the pilum. Why? Because 1# I was requested not to (because I've been told that the roman auxiliria did use spears too) and 2# almost every roman unit has that pilum-throwing attack, and none has a spear-attack. I hope this isn't too much historically incorrect thing :) . Okay, Enjoy :)

Here are the files:
Roman Auxiliary infantry

Attached are some animation and civilopedia previews.

Attachments

• RomAuxInfCivilop.gif
    RomAuxInfCivilop.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,316
  • RomAuxInfDemo.gif
    RomAuxInfDemo.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,432
I like it! But, if we are to stick to history, the Auxiliary infantry is anyway mostly composed by Archers or Barbarians (and therefore, not dressed that way)... But who cares about history, when the unit is good ;) !!! It can replace spearman!

AWESOME, and unexpected!

as for historical accuracy, you did it perfectlly; the AUxullia were meant to be an unorginized "heavy skirkisher" style of infanty; they coudl fight on th emian line, but werent specialized for it like the legionaries; instead, these guys woudl runnignt hrough the woods, leading a flankl attack, fighting in a similer style to the unorgized opponenets they were facing

@holy emperor- "auxilla" were comprised of non citizens; this DOSENT mean barbarians, this just means inhabitents of the empire who are freemen, but not citizens; that is until the reign fo caracalla, where all freemen where citzens anyway, and it was the armys choice more or less, where you ended up, based on need. moreover, ANY soldire that was not a legionary, or of the cavalry contigent attached to a legion, or fo the imperial body guard was automatically dubbed an auxilliary, and these troops were just as important as the legions for fightign for the empire.

@aaglo- have you ever thought abotu making a warhammer troll?

HolyEmperor said:
But, if we are to stick to history, the Auxiliary infantry is anyway mostly composed by Archers or Barbarians (and therefore, not dressed that way)... But who cares about history, when the unit is good ;) !!! It can replace spearman!

Thanks :) . I did the auxiliary archer earlier (which is called just a "roman archer"), so this must be the barbarian :D . This unit was based somewhat on this picture ;)

But that pic may include some artistic freedom from the illustrator though. Yep, who cares about history ;)

[EDIT]:
@Xen - No, I haven't thought of making a warhammer troll. They look sooooo strange and weird :lol:

YAY! FINALLY, after all these years, we have a Roman Auxiliary graphic! :bounce: Looks great, aaglo! I'm putting him to work immediately!!

(ahem: sorry about using all them exclamation marks!)

aaglo said:
This unit doesn't have the almost-standard roman infantry attack: throwing of the pilum. Why? Because 1# I was requested not to (because I've been told that the roman auxiliria did use spears too) and 2# almost every roman unit has that pilum-throwing attack, and none has a spear-attack. I hope this isn't too much historically incorrect thing :)

Exellent work aaglo :D .
As far as I know Roman auxiliary infantry were primarily armed with large shields (scutum) and basic spear.

Spear was every army's choise for those who were not trained that well since in formation there were not much choise than point it towards the enemy and thrust. And pilum was actually heavy short range javelin not designed for close combat. Organized formations actions in the heat of combat were essential to every leader and getting done two simple things suchs as throving pilum (accurately!) simultaneusly and preparing sword for close combat requires actually quite a bit training, not to say winning the engagement at hand. Same rules apply in modern combat too ;)

I finally registered after more than 3 years of viewing & downloading from this site just to say thank you for this excellent unit. Whilst your fantasy units are excellent I was shocked (and very, very happy) to see you produce another historical unit after the Roman archer. Grovel …. Thank you …. Grovel. Please make more. :)

Once again I have but one word...BRILLIANT!!

Steel General said:
Once again I have but one word...BRILLIANT!!

Steel General: BRILLIANT!
Goldflash: BRILLANT!
Steel General: BRILLIANT! Would you like a Guiness?
Goldflash: No, they taste like Burnt Motor Oil!
Steel General: More for me then! BRILLAINT!

Actually, I don't know if you like guiness. But...

Oh yeah, this unit is BRILLIANT!

[Thread hi-jack]
@Goldflash - Actually I pretty much don't like beer period, and your opinion of Guiness matches mine. But I do like the guiness commercials, remind me of Monty Python animation. :D
[/Thread hi-jack]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled unit thread.

Very nice, Rome would be proud.

One question, do you use blob objects for hands/feet etc.? I'm guessing they render faster than sphere sweeps (hopefully much faster).

Good animations. Except for the run. Looks lke he has a load in his pants. If you're delving back into world of historical units, could you consider a janissary?

excellent work as always!! Thanks!

Someone in this thread doesn't like beer ... ?
Is that some kind of April Fool's joke?

Top Bottom