New unit: Fell Bat (apr 14th, 2005)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi!

Here is a flying undead bat - Games workshop call it a fell bat. No, it has nothing to do with fells (i certainly hope so), I actually haven't got a clue what the "fell" in "fell bat" means. Included is a bombard animation if you wish to use this as a bomber-unit (air unit with a bombing run option). Enjoy :)

Here is some civilopedia copied from the games workshop website:
Also known as Vampire Bats, the blood drinking bats of Sylvania grow to monstrous proportions, some with wingspans of twelve feet or more. They are nightmarish predators of the dark, silent and deadly. They exist solely on the blood of the living, that of Men being their favourite. The scholars of the Old World speculate that perhaps an ancestor of these beasts drank the blood of a Vampire and thus joined the ranks of the Undead.

Here are the files (~896 kb):
Fell Bat

Attached are previews of fidget&attack animations and civilopediaAlt

Attachments

• FellBatCivilop.gif
    FellBatCivilop.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • FellBatDemo.gif
    FellBatDemo.gif
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,729
Haha, freaky, but cool!

Your "fell" ponderance made me look it up, as I've heard it referred to other creatures, e.g. the Nazgul ride Fell Beasts, but always just accepted it. The only thing dictionary.com says about it as an adjective is that it relates to fall (what I would call autumn). That seems silly.

Nice job, Aaglo. Great animation! :)

As for what "fell" means, it means of an inhumanly cruel, dangerous, and dire or sinister nature. So basically, bats on evil vampire steroids. :)

Wow! Aaglo, I almost always comment about how good your units are, but I think this is right up their as one of your best. Great job :D

Gomurr said:
Nice job, Aaglo. Great animation! :)

As for what "fell" means, it means of an inhumanly cruel, dangerous, and dire or sinister nature. So basically, bats on evil vampire steroids. :)

As opposed to nice vampire steroids? ;)

Awesome animation on this guy... :D

Those wings must have been one serious pain in the eye to animate, great part is now you'd have no problem doing dragons, ornithopters, ginourmous bugs etc.

Keep at it aaglo!:thumbsup:

Excellent! Great modelling and amazing animating. I thought I had all the units for MoM 2.0, but this may change things a bit. ;)

Nice unit!! Beautiful batlike-anims.

'fell' is probably some Old English (Probable that JRR brouth it back to life). In Dutch, 'fel' is still a used word, meaning 'fierce'

very nice. great indeed

"Fell" isn't Old English, it's just rather antiquated English, and means what Gomurr said.

Excellent animation on this one. It's always the animation that really "makes" Aaglo's units, which is just as it should be.

Thanks everyone, your words warm the old heart of mine :) . And thanks also for the description for the word "fell" (the imperfect (?) from the verb "fall", nor the northern mountain "fell" did not compute well :lol: )

@Orthanc
Actually, no. Those wings were quite easy to animate. All it took was a little bit of common sense thinking (altough the idea how to make wings had been haunting me for a couple of nights, and my experience on modelling with povray might have helped :mischief: ). But no, the wings were the easy part - the attack animation movements were a bit harder than all the wing anims :) .

@LizardmenRule!
I use pov-ray ( www.povray.org ) - it's completely free and a fun program (yeah, right :rolleyes: - it has a text interface: you type everything). Orthanc uses it too with his ships. And kinboat did his earlier work with it (and with Moray - a modelling tool for pov-ray).

@Olorin0222
I asked if the bombing animation should be "dropping rocks" or "dropping guano" (bat poop), the request was for dropping rocks... :)

Nice work aaglo as usual. Now to see how it looks in the game.

Top Bottom