GOTM 44 Final Free-For-All

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Final Spoiler For GOTM 44

The only requirement for participation in this thread is that you have submitted your game.

I think it might be worth mentioning in these final threads what I saw the focus of the game to be when the map was designed, to generate a bit of discussion, and perhaps use this to improve maps inthe future and get a good mix of issues / nuances in future games.

In this particular game, I wanted a sharp contrast between this game and the previous two (COTM and GOTM) that were difficult deity games. "Warlord" is not a level we play often - I think there's only been one GOTM and maybe on COTM at this level before - generally this is because its seen as fairly easy, and the world can be over-run fairly early into the middle-ages - a lot of the strategy such as effective trading and alliances is not required, simply because the AI is so useless.

To try and reduce this somewhat, the players were given an isolated start that was a straight early-handicap to allow the AI to establish themselves whilst the player tried to get off their miserable rock. The mainland was clearly visible to reduce the 'luck' element of sinking galleys or flip a coin to see which way to explore.

Once they got to the mainland, they were required to continue to expand via military means, with resource constraints. However I wanted to give them a choice: "Difficult" conquest against the greeks (with short supply lines), or longer supply lines against easier targets.

The biggests risk (from a design perspective) were that some players could get an early leader and rush an FP on the mainland, greatly accelerating the development of a mainland core. This was accepted, as the Palace Jump was an equally viable method of getting the second core running quickly.

The only other real risk was that those going for 20k cultural victories had a less than ideal starting location - however, beating the AI to wonders in warlord is often easier, and leader farming could help. It will be interesting to see if those who tried for a 20k city in (say) paris could use the ideal city location to 'catch-up' on those who used babylon.

BTW - that's just an insight into what I was thinking when I designed the map - this thread is first-and-foremost a end-game submitted spoiler! :)

20k victory in 2001, Firaxis 488, Jason 1474. Hopefully low enough to grab the shield, but I'll probably be outdone.

I had never done an OCC game before, and this was no exception, but I was at least trying to get along with just two cities. Claimed the ivory early so that I'd have one less lux to trade for, although building a pair of harbors slowed that up a bit.

CivAssist didn't start loading autosaves until about 1375 AD, so I missed out on a few opportunities. I probably should have sold a temple or my colosseum to slow the date down a bit, as Space wasn't really even in the picture yet, and I had control of the UN and that vote wasn't happening.

My CivAssist culture screen (Note: Palace is off the top, has 2 cpt and 958 accumulated.)

Wall street came so late because I didn't have 5 cities until my late Middle Age/Early Industrial age conquest of Korea. That was one of my 3 "real" wars - I had two others against India, one early to grab iron and horses from some islands, and one later on after I had marines to take their 1-tile-island-capital after a city flipped. I had a fake war with the Iroquois where I never sent any units, but France and Greece ended up losing a bunch of military on landings.

Ending map:

I had some lucky resource flips: Coal appeared shortly after steam power, and I had uranium on the grassland 1S of Babylon for about 6 turns as well(although later on it flipped to the unreachable forest on the north of the island).

Most of my city acquisitions were late in the game, with the exception of Korea(early IA). Hopefully this kept my score low enough - people who did OCC will probably have lower TERRITORY scores but also probably had a later date. Once again, I probably could have held off Space until 2040 at least. With my Indian and Korean acquisitions (and a FP in Seoul) I managed to outresearch the AI even at 25 turn research. Free techs helped too: I got different than Greece each time:

Middle ages: Me Engineering, Greece Feudalism
Industrial Ages: Me Medicine (uck), Greece Steam Power. I went 8 turns at full steam on Steam Power then bought it from Greece for Medicine.
Modern Ages: Me Rocketry, Greece Ecology.

This being my first PTW GOTM I was suprised that I got different techs than Monotheism and Nationalism. I believe this has been addressed before but it didn't make too much of a difference in my game, the only big difference if I had been playing Vanilla would probably have been that Babylon's Mass Transit and Solar Plant would have been in a lot later. Except I used the solar plant for a UN prebuild so that DID make a difference.

EDIT: ainwood, might be a good idea to allow you to change the interface colors in CivAssist. With my current system scheme the blue text is nearly invisible.

To speed up the game, I avoided autosave, manual save, utilities, and turn logging. So all I have is a victory save and a GOTM submission email.

Game: Classic GOTM 44
Software Version: PtW 1.27f for Windows
Entry class: Open
Game status: Cultural 20K Victory for Babylon
Game date: 1962 AD
Firaxis score: 269
Jason score: 1195
Time played: 00:26:42

Attachments

• 1962ad.gif
    1962ad.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 672
Domination in 1852, Firaxis 1025, Jason 4016.

First GOTM, not that great of a result because I just like building, and spent lots of time on infrastructure that I didn't need.

For techs I got Feudalism into the MA, with two others getting Engineering and one getting Mono. Into IA I kept Korea and Greece in the game just to get their techs; I got Medicine, they each got Steam Power. I was able to trade Steam Power from Korea for Printing Press, Magnetism, Music Theory, Econ, and Military Tradition. I wasn't worried about military trade because they had no economy and no resources. In fact, when I attacked them they only had one defender for their two cities, even though they weren't in war ?!?

Went after India just into the IA, but had to stop for a bit after they got rubber. Built up and removed that option. Iroquios were contacted very early on via America and the GL, and they were a powerhouse throughout.

India got reduced to a couple of cities, including the one next to Delhi, so I had to wait for military to take that.

Don't know how to recommend map stuff since this is only the 2nd complete game in about a year, but it did get me started playing civ again, so there's a plus :)

Hi,

I think its the first time im writing. I dont keep notes and simply dont have the time. Either i play or write. Unfortunatelly, its quite like that. This time as i played a much shorter game than usual i have some spare time.
Thanks for the map and the opportunity of resting a bit after the Deity games. My game was very straightforward. I initially thought of milking it and try to go for the Cow. As it was Warlord, reaching the Domination limit wouldnt be that hard, and i also gathered that i would have real possibilities as many of the top players who still need the fast Dom award for their Epthatles would be seduced by the fast Domination/Conquest (didnt know of the Iroquois) dates. I settled on place and built 3 more cities in the little island on 3 tile ring. Built a granary in babylon after the first settler and then pumped out settlers and workers. The other cities produced barracks, warriors,sometimes workers(these would be needed to improve tiles on the new world) and prebuils for galleys when the time came. I knew i would have to get out of there when Mapmaking came, and with raging barbarians and 7 civs on a small Pangea i knew military force would be needed. As the turns passed by i kept, ever more anxious, looking at those 2 or 3 tiles on the other side of the sea ( one of them with ivory ) fearing that at any moment the AI would claim them. As there was no reference to an "atypical" map i had the strong belief that that was the gateway to the Pangea. Around 1300bc a greek warrior approached on the other side, he was alone, no settler :) I made contact, couldnt trade anything though. 2 or 3 turns later i got MapMaking and managed to trade for all contacts, and tech parity. I got their world maps as well and realized that the Pangea was probably big enough for the Domination limits. Only one civ was missing, so they should be on a small island like mine. After all, it had to be 80% ocean and that land mass sounded just like 20% or so... Now i had a problem, but then again it couldnt be all roses... The greeks were blocking me. Not the Athens peaceful traders and philosophers but the Spartan Hoplites. Even on Warlord i knew that Bowmen, wich i hadnt built yet of course, wouldnt be a match for the best AA defense unit. I had to upgrade the warriors wich was my first idea after all. I was also not interested in a despotic GA. I saw a iron source already inside greek territory. I settled next to it and... now it was on my territory. I had shut down science to get some money for the upgradings, and, after building a barracks in my front city i assembled 10 or 11 swordsmen in a few turns. I signed ROP with Greece and took a bit of a gamble trusting the Warlord level to be easy enough. Divided my force to attack Athens and their second city ( the one near the 2 wheats ) wich would be my settler factory. I also realized that Athens was in a perfect location to be the new capitol. I would place a 3 tile ring around it and that would be my unit production center. Well the ROP rape didnt go so well but i took the cities. The problem is that my army fighting ability virtually disappeared. I took heavy losses. So, i now faced a dilemma. Either i would start building bowmen, to support the remaining swordsmen ( and those i could upgrade every 2 turns) and i would have a despotic GA quitting the Cow award and going for Domination or i would stand still just killing the few greeks that showed up waiting for the cultural flips :mischief: and ending up on a frustrating peace treaty that would stall my expansion. Here i took my decision. I was going for Domination, I would not research anything else but, eventually, Monarchy ( if i couldnt take it from one of my enemies), and my conquest would be based on Horsemen. At Warlord level the max it could happen was to finish very late so only pride was at stake here. I had already sent a warrior and a settler to the northern horse, i could have made better use of him, cause Athens had Horses right under it :mischief: So, now the goal was to finish the Greeks and then going for France wich had already a 7 sized Paris. I left the greeks with 1 or 2 cities, signing a very good peace treaty as they were tech leaders by then. I got a more complete World Map that revealed the entire Pangea and two 1 tile islands that could be very important both in a positive way ( for domination tiles ) and a negative one( enemy cities could be placed there and i was not going to wait for marines). I also got some techs including Code of Laws and Philosophy. These would be useful to negociate further ROPs. When i established an embassy with France i noticed they were missing some turns to complete the Pyramids ( this would be essential...). I waited and prepared a two-front-war that would include the attack on India. Meanwhile the capitol changed to Athens, i joined 1 or 2 of the workers i had produced on the home island, the cows surrounding it and the military units provided the size and enough points for a successful jump. Everything was quite easy. India even accepted a ROP without me giving anything else. My army was about 12 swordsman strong wich attacked the near cities and 15 horsemen who went further into enemy territory. As allways i tend to attack their main cities first so as to weaken their fighting ability. Paris was taken 1 turn after the completion of the Pyramids, Marseilles fall also on the same turn i think. This is early Ads ( im sorry but i dont have the precise dates). The French had 2 cities to the NE defended by mountains and jungle so i signed a provisional :D peacetreaty. The indians werent so lucky and falled soon. They had already settled on the one tile island but i managed to get it on a provisional peace treaty ( i love this expression :lol: ) The GA had been as profitable as a Despotic GA can be. I produced a lot of horsemen and after my workers improved the main tiles around my 5 or 6 productive cities they were sent to the front to build roads ( this would be the key for a fast win ) When i ROP raped puny Korea my workers were already on the Spanish borders. In fact the only defense Korea had was its terrain. Meanwhile i made contact with Iroquois with a sole galley. Strangely Spain ( or America, i dont remember...) had gone for Monarchy and the Iroquois went for Republic without having Currency or Construction. I managed to get Republic from the Iroquois for all available contacts ( wich they valued greatly) and Polytheism or something like that. As by now i had enough cities i opted for Republic and continued to rush horsemen. In fact, in retrospective this was a mistake. I produced far too many units. I should have rushed more settlers and temples. I could have finished 3 or 4 turns earlier. I guess my mind was still on Deity mode where units are never enough. The Americans had some big sized cities but there were very few units to defend them. They went down in 3 turns. A settler remained somewhere but by now i wasnt very concerned about that. The Koreans were laughable. One unit per city for the exception of the Capital. Although a runaway settler managed to settle on the unroaded jungle to the far east wich was a pain for about 10 turns since my units were already on Spain. Spain was attacked in mid 300s and was a super power compared to the others. They even had 3 swordsmen. Madrid was defended by 4 :eek: spearmen. Well, it took a while longer, mainly because there were still no roads to their far north tundra cities. BTW, i found the american settler... But now i was not fighting the AI any longer, i was terrified that maybe there werent enough tiles to Domination. The Iroquois island was not that small and there was still another island about the size of my homeland. My home continent was conquered, but there were lots of "black spaces" on my mini-map, the coastal cities were not fully developed in cultural terms, and... i was short 200 tiles. On the other hand i had about 50 military units :mad: If only i had produced temples and settlers instead of military parades... In the last 2 or 3 turns there were many cultural expansions mainly on coastal cities but still after defeating the Spanish I had to wait 10-12 more turns for Domination wich was triggered in 500AD.
As i said before it was a fairly easy game. I understand your intentions Ainwood, and greatly appreciate them, but Warlord is simply not competitive at all ( for most players i guess) Even so, it was very useful as, beeing much more relaxed than in higher levels, i could notice and analise my shortcomings when it comes to planning in the mid/long term. These are crutial to the not-so-good results i get when going for Domination on much higher levels. I have to change this :)

PTW Predator – Going for the spaceship

Sometime around 1300, I hit the IA, having recently conquered France. Now that I had my entire core area secure, there was nothing left to do but research and milk. And build wonders, of course, I succeeded in snagging Newton (1415) in Sparta to create a super science city, ToE (1445), and Hoover(1570), in preparation for the space race, and Bach (1535), for scoring purposes, and Universal Suffrage (1610) for no discernable reason other than having lots of shields and being vaguely afraid of being dragged into war. I also absorbed the Koreans during this time for a few more cost-free points. I disregarded the Spanish, however, because even having to run 10% luxuries would slow down research.
Economically, I managed to keep the cash flowing in and the research at 4 turns for most of the IA. Lincoln and Hiawatha remained useful trading partners to the very end. Once the MA hit, I saw my research drop back to 6-8 turns, so I beelined for miniaturization, getting SETI in Sparta for a super-duper science city, and the Internet for free research labs. The free labs put my research time back to 4 turns, and I proceeded to gobble up the rest of the spaceship techs and build the parts from prebuilds.
The final finish date was 1808, which doesn’t really say much. Was it late because it was warlord, or was it late because I blew the early middle age? It did (barely) beat my launch date for GOTM 42, but in 42, I messed things up pretty bad when I suffered a bout of temporary insanity and attacked my main tech trading partner because their culture was crowding me. So the real lesson is that a bungled warlord spaceship beats a bungled emperor spaceship. I have a vague desire to go back and play this game again to see how many years that lapse cost me, but then again, I’ve got better things to do.
As for map randomness, I did get a leader against the Greeks, and ended up rushing a palace in the mainland. There’s a real cost to this because you lose most of your production from the island cities and have to start over. Then again, it’s quite an advantage. I can’t imagine anyone doing well (except in 20k) keeping the capital on the island. No, the real bonanza would be FP Athens, palace in Paris. I think that luck is unavoidable in vanilla/PTW due to the way the FP works. An early leader will give you a massive advantage if you rush the FP in a distant city due to the second-core effect.
Actually, I think the big random factor on this map was the American scout that popped up during the ancient ages. Anyone who establishes contact with America (or anyone else) early on can get a major leg up in tech. The map would be much less random if the continent were simply a couple more squares away. There's some skill (and faith) involved in thinking t park a warrior on the wheat to watch the peninsula, but unless an AI unit shows up, it's all for naught.

Finish Date: 1808 AD
Firaxis Score: 1703
Jason Score: Somewhere in the 6000s
Time played: 10:17:37 (At first I thought this might be some kind of record for a spaceship, but then I saw Ballywog’s 3:33:22 spaceship from GOTM 40. Oh well.)
Oddest wonder build: Shakespeare, 1764 AD, after SETI. By this date, Shakespeare wrote all his plays on a laptop and disseminated them over the internet. Either the AI was smart enough not to care about Shakespeare or incompetent enough to lose him anyway.

Has anyone else gone for the spaceship? Anyone manage to launch before 1700?

Due to the two previous exhausting GOTMs and the nice weather, I did feel like doing it all nice and easy.
I skipped the deity COTM and did this GOTM a relaxed 5CC.
Under 4 hours playtime and a 20K in 1890. Iirc Jason 2250 and Firaxis 499.

I also suspect that DaveMcW avoided contacts, wars, units, and other fiddly things that really aren't that important :crazyeye:

Diplomatic victory in 1904 AD. 1086 Firaxis, 3295 Jason. Over 24 hours clocked in. Meh.

At last the Industrial Age, where Babylon recovers from the disgrace of a failed invasion, shows the world the power of artillery, and rises to a commanding lead to win!

When last we left off, the Greek cities, now turned new homeland of Babylon, had shaped up somewhat through the Middle Ages and were now contenders with the AIs in production and population. The AIs all had food bonus tiles around several of their cities and had multiple size 12 cities. I had twice as many cities, but most were still at size 6-8. Aqueducts were finishing up in most of my cities that didn't have one yet, so soon I would surpass the other civs.

For the last couple of centuries, I had been massing units to attack France, Babylon's closest rival in culture and technology. Knocking France out of the running and adding the French homeland would propel us far forward, and now that Babylon had a strong cavalry force, it was felt the French musketeers could be overcome successfully. But we had to move fast before the French could field riflemen that would stop this invasion in its tracks.

In 1400 I declare war on France and send in the cavalry! They take Avignon in the same turn. We capture Lyons in 1410 only to have it flip back to France next turn and destroy a rifleman as well as a half-dozen MDIs on garrison. Joan drafted a rifleman in Lyons. Uh-oh. In 1450 I retake Lyons and keep it for good.

Spain reaches the Industrial Age around this point. The window of opportunity for French conquest is starting to close....

American archers are wandering in my territory, sitting on my iron. Bad Lincoln. I issue a boot order in 1440 and he declares. I kill the archers before they pillage and sign a MA with India right away to keep America busy; this does the trick as I only see a single American cavalry for the rest of this "war". Guess they were busy on a wonder, Washington builds JS Bach's in 1470. America baits Korea into the war, and Kon declares against me and India—then Lincoln backstabs Korea and takes P'yongyang in 1545. India takes the city from America next turn.I started the French War with ten cannons, and by war's end I had twice that many, but they did me little good. I spent the next hundred years after the recapture of Lyons bombarding Paris and Tours, accomplishing little more than structural damage and frightening the citizenry as my cannon divisions can't hit the broad side of a barn. Both cities had at least 5 defenders and more conscripts were popping up faster than cannons can redline them.

France, America, and India have all got Nationalism now, and Joan's churning out riflemen like mad in her Golden Age. I sue for peace in 1530 and fall back. So much for knocking France out of the game, but at least I set France back with the loss of two French cities and destruction of all the improvements in Paris and Tours.

I turn my attention to assisting India against America. In 1570 India captures Boston after my cavalry kill most of the defenders, and the war between America and India comes to a end next turn. I sign peace too; I need a break from war weariness.

I keep to myself for the next century and carry out another buildup, switch over to Democracy, construct factories in my cities, build a rail network, and soon I'll have a mean modern war machine in Babylon. Next time there's a war, it WON'T come out to a stalemate.

France and India seem to be taking different paths through the tech tree and trading with each other. I'm just barely keeping pace with them, but pulling away from the other AIs.

In 1620 I get Replaceable Parts. Now I'm glad I put Ellipi on that one-tile tundra island south of my starting island. There was rubber there! Riflemen get upgrades, and I cough up one-third of my treasury to transform my disappointing collection of 20 cannons into...

...the ARTILLERY STACK OF DOOM! I then notify my troops that after evaluation of previous performances, any artilleryman who cannot learn to hit the broad side of a barn with the new long range bombardment guns will be used for target practice.

Also in 1620, I finish Smith's Trading Company in Athens. America, Spain, France, and the Iroquois are all fighting over that forsaken island up north. Spain, America, and the Iroquois go to war and cities get razed up there. Eventually the Iroquois take control of most of it, but two French villages get left alone.

In 1665 Spain builds Shakespeare's Theatre in Madrid. Hmm, Hamlet in Spanish...?

The Iroquois reach the Industrial Age about this time.

In 1705, Gandhi's vile treacherous streak emerges! He sneak-attacks Samarra with 4 cavalry, and loses three of them but wins the battle, killing two infantry units and seizing the city.

He will rue the day. :mad: I arrange military alliances with America, Spain, and France. Samarra is immediately retaken in 1710 and the drums of war sound throughout Babylon!

Corinth was so blessed as to have both iron and coal in the city radius, and in this year finished the Iron Works. Infantry and cavalry start rolling off the assembly lines, and the ARTILLERY STACK OF DOOM is set in firing position two tiles west of Madras, with three infantry for cover.

KABOOM.

Madras is shelled down to size 4 from size 12, all the improvements are destroyed, all the defenders are redlined, and cavalry steamroll the town, capturing it. This scene repeats itself at Karachi in 1720, in Bombay in 1730, and in Calcutta in 1745.

In 1750, Babylon finishes Universal Suffrage. Kish is settled in between the ruins of Karachi and Jaipur. This city won't grow much, but I need to put something there to fill in culture before another AI grabs the iron.

The time scale changes to 2 years per turn. I split off a few artillery from the growing ASOD, now 25 artillery deep, and move them towards Indian-occupied Boston. In 1752, the larger half of the ASOD is in range of Calcutta. KABOOM. Gandhi drafts away Calcutta's population as fast as I can kill it off through shelling and the city ends up size 1 before I take it in 1758. Meanwhile, shelling of Boston continues, and in 1760 Boston is captured by Babylonian forces as well. Gandhi sues for peace, I give his emissary the finger and march on to Lahore. France backs out of the war.

In 1762 the ASOD is reunited on the incense hill southeast of Boston. With India's saltpeter cut off now, there'll be no more annoying cavalry making hit-and-run attacks to pick off my weakened cavalry units. India got Replaceable Parts in the last couple turns and is drafting infantry. I disconnect the rubber near Delhi to put a stop to that.

1764. KABOOM. Two turns of shelling and Lahore is turned into wreckage and captured in 1766.

War weariness is starting to kick in. I send cavalry at Delhi to clash with the conscript rifle garrison; my forces take moderate losses but pick off most of the defenders. Most of the ASOD goes to work on Delhi. A few artillery units shell Kolhapur, on the 1-tile island offshore, and kill some of the population so the capital doesn't jump there when Delhi falls.

In 1768 Delhi is captured, and Gandhi flees with the Indian government to Hyderabad, on the island in the middle of the ocean way off to the east. That and Kolhapur are all that's left of India after 58 years.

America and Spain make peace with India after the military alliances run out.

The recent conquests have left a big gaping culture hole in the middle of what was eastern India. I found Nippur 4 tiles southwest of Boston to plug it and rush temples and cathedrals in the surrounding cities. In the meanwhile I shell Kolhapur to size 1 and blow up all the improvements; with no harbor it can't grow and it stays at size 1 the rest of the game. It has quite a bit of culture so I can't flip it anytime soon, and I can't take it over without marines. India launches a caravel of boat people from Hyderabad, but I sink it with an ironclad.

Unable to do any more damage to India without an overseas invasion force, and war weariness mounting, I demand peace. He forks over his map and all of 3 gold, and Babylon turns again to rebuild the territory gained. Unlike the past age after the Greek conquest, Babylon now has sizeable coffers and a strong worker force. The captured Indian cities soon come into their own as valuable production centers.

In 1784 Babylon builds the Intelligence Agency.

Peace is fleeting in the Industrial Age. A mutual protection pact signed with the French in 1792 in exchange for their dyes and 118 GPT from France was to be peace's undoing when Lincoln and Joan began squabbling again next turn.

Babylon was at war again, this time with America. Once again the ASOD is set in motion. Now 35-deep, it rumbles up to the hills south of Washington with three infantry escorting as Babylonian cavalry exchange fire with their American counterparts. Most of my cities are set to build cavalry to keep up with the casualties. Losses are moderate on both sides as my cavalry encamp on the hills and mountains around Washington.

The KABOOM-ing begins in 1798. Over the next 5 turns I shell Washington to the ground as American cavalry try to unroot my own. They get a leader in 1804. :shakehead: Washington is reduced to size 1 and everything in it is destroyed but the Palace and the city's Wonders. But Washington now has at least 6 infantry defending, two of them elites, a one-unit cavalry army, and the city is on a hill!

Even with a 35-deep artillery stack I can't do more than leave all the units with 2 HP before I run out of shots. Without a barracks, in a city all the units still recover 2 HP back. The damage is just getting spread out too much.

The first sign of France taking action in the war is in 1810 when they take P'yongyang, which the Americans had took from the Indians in 1550, which the Indians had just took from Korea in 1545.

In 1810 a great triumph in production occurs with the completion of the Hoover Dam in Corinth. Now we can crank out units like never before! Perhaps now the siege of Washington would make headway. A bold plan was launched....

In 1816, Babylonian forces make a daring raid! After the round's bombardment that leave the defenders all with 2 HP, nine Babylonian cavalry battalions make suicide charges at the city. It's a bloody battle, but seven of the nine retreat on their last HP and live to fight another day. They succeeded in picking off three defenders, though, and that makes all the difference.

1818 sees all the surviving garrison redlined for the first time. I pick off another defending infantry, but lose four cavalry in the process. Much of my cavalry force is back in friendly territory recovering from last turn's heroics. Refining reveals we have lots of oil, including one source on our start island, and one source near Washington that will soon be ours as well. Research starts on Motorized Transportation, done in 4 turns.

In 1820, with half the garrison gone, the ASOD succeeds in redlining all the defenders of Washington again. The cavalry that survived the Raid of 1816 descend on the city to finish the job.

The final battle costs me four more cavalry, but Washington falls, and the rest of America will soon feel the wrath of the ASOD. Soon tanks will follow!

In 1826 Motorized Transportation finishes and the first tanks roll off the assembly lines. Atlanta is bombarded to a husk, captured, and disbanded after it hits size 3 again. I don't like where it's situated and will refound Zariqum one tile northeast of the ruins in 1838 after the war ends.

In 1830, the French send out forces from Chartres, an isolated French city on the far tip of the eastern peninsula, and capture Chicago out from under my nose.

The last American city, Philidelphia, takes a while to reach since jungles get in the way of our troops and slow us down. The ASOD slowly moves into position to finish off the final American stronghold, but the fearsome power of the ASOD is shown up by a greater power: the power of tanks! Two of the new technological terrors rumble up to Philidelphia, blitz the riflemen before bombardment can commence, and capture the city mostly intact. Lincoln is forced into early retirement. After the fall of Philidelphia in 1836, I get right to work rebuilding the captured cities, and start a Palace prebuild for the U.N. in Corinth. Should take 13 turns with Corinth producing 82 shields/turn. I build Wall Street in Babylon in 1842, +50 GPT is always nice.

I finish researching Flight in 1848 and reach the Modern Age first, getting Rocketry as my free tech. I've definitely come a long way this age, knocking one rival civ out of the running and another out of the game entirely. I still don't have much of a tech lead, but I've pulled ahead a little and the AIs are 3-4 techs back now. The Iroquois have come from second-to-last to tied at second with France in the tech race. Behold the power of booze.

My Palace prebuild has 6 turns left on it in Corinth. Set science to research Fission, 5 turns at 80% science. With only about 150 turns left in the game I'm starting to feel like I'm racing the clock.

I get Fusion in 1858 and start on Ecology; 5 turns at 80% science. Turns out there's uranium on our little starting island. Guess that's another good reason for not abandoning it. I timed my prebuild in Corinth almost perfectly; U.N. will finish next turn. I bribe both Isabella and Kon to Gracious with luxury and tech gifts and a ROP to win their votes. No amount of gifts or agreements will make France or India stop being furious, though.

The United Nations is unveiled to the world in 1860 and the first election for Secretary General is called!

Inconclusive vote. Something has to be done to tip the balance. There are six civs left in the game, and I can secure three votes as long as I don't make any heinous diplomacy blunders.

As I found out a few turns into the Modern Age, the island where Hyderabad sits has oil, aluminum, AND uranium on it. With these, Gandhi might eventually be able to make a nuisance of himself again—or at least trade these to someone else so THEY can be a nuisance—so that settles it. Gandhi, you gotta go bye-bye now.

I spend the next 15 turns being VERY nice to everyone who doesn't already hate me while quietly building up a very large attack force. If this U.N. thing doesn't work out, I'm going to sweep the continent and go for Domination. At this point I had doubts if my rate of research, 5-6 turns a tech at 80%, was enough to finish the tech tree and build a spaceship before 2050. I have to slow down a bit to build up cash for upgrades; I had negative GPT at 80% science.

In 1868 Ecology is done, I start Amphibious Warfare since I need marines for my Master Plan™. 4 turns at 40%. Most cities start Mass Transit for pollution control.

1876 and Amphibious Warfare is done. Synthetic Fibers in 6 turns at 60%. I start a few Marines and assemble the main invasion force in Boston as transports are dispatched to pick them up. While I'm preparing the invasion of Gandhi's frozen island refuge, the second U.N. vote is proposed. I call off the election for now.

The invasion force is ready in 1886, and two transports carrying six tanks and six artillery launch from Boston with a battleship escort. Another transport stays behind in port in Delhi, which holds a few newly-built marines. ASOD goes to Lahore to prepare to bombard Kolhapur and...huh? It's undefended! Funny, I could have sworn there was a rifleman or two there a couple turns ago. :confused:

Synthetic Fibers finishes in 1888. Recycling in 6 turns @ 60%. Too late to call the invasion force tanks back for upgrades. Oh well, Gandhi only has riflemen; he's got no rubber for infantry. In 1890 I declare war on India with the invasion fleet just outside his maritime borders, sign up everyone else in the world with a military alliance against Gandhi so he can't get them to turn against me first, and land the troops.

In 1892 Hyderabad goes KABOOM and falls in one swift decisive stroke. Next turn in 1894 the marines set out from Delhi. I'd...kinda forgotten to launch the previous turn. The transport moves a few tiles over, reaches a strangely undefended Kolhapur, unloads the marines into the city, and our favorite warmongering pacifist is out of the game.

Recycling done in 1900. Computers in 9 turns at 40%, need some money for future upgrades, and hopefully research won't matter now. The French and Iroquois exchange Flight and Radio and trade each other into the Modern Age themselves.

I continue playing nice to Spain and Korea to keep them gracious and wait for the third vote, all the while continuing to build up troops to blitz France off the map. By now I have 50 Modern Armors, 92 Infantry, a quaint little air force of 10 bombers and 4 jet fighters, and I'm making a beeline to Robotics for Radar Artillery. The mighty ASOD is 50-strong now, and when turned into Radar Artillery it will END THE WORLD.

The third U.N. vote is called in 1904.

And with that:
Spoiler :

At this point I submitted my save. Quite a learning experience with this game. :blush: For fun, I reloaded my last save in 1902 from before the U.N. vote, called the election off, and immediately proceeded to carry out plan B—sweep the continent for a Domination victory, just to see how it might have went.

Diplomacy went haywire suddenly. I declare war on France right away in 1904, activate a MPP and the Iroquois declare on me. Spain declared war on Korea in 1906, called France into it, and overran Korea by 1914. Good thing I got their vote while I could. :eek:

OK, since I'm going into overtime I'll make it short; here's the timetable:

1906: Chicago, Chartres, and Marseilles captured.
1910: Rheims and Tours captured. Great Leader Agum appears (my first leader all game!).
1912: Paris captured.
1914: P'yongyang captured. Spanish destroy Korea.
1916: Orleans captured.
1920: Heroic Epic built in Athens (finally). Spain enters Modern Age.

With France reduced to three overseas fishing villages I let Joan simmer a few turns while sinking Hiawatha's warships with my artillery and bombers. France makes peace in 1922. The Iroquois won't talk until I make a landing on that disputed colony island and raze Seattle in 1936. I delay the attack on Spain until Robotics, researching the next few techs at 50% to save up gold for upgrades.

1959: Robotics finished. 60 Artillery upgraded to Radar Artillery. World ends...soon.
1961: Seoul, Wonsan, and Pusan captured.
1962: Seville captured.
1963: Toledo captured. Great Leaders Sargon and Sumuabum appear. (I immediately used Sargon to rush The Internet.)
1964: Zaragoza and Madrid captured.
1965: Barcelona and Murcia captured.
1966: Ciudad de la Luna, Valencia, and Santiago captured. Great Leader Ashurbanipal appears. Spain destroyed.

I rushed temples/cathedrals in the captured Spanish cities as they stopped resisting. Domination victory triggered in 1968 after all the culture boundaries re-expanded. Looking at my final domination save I think Space Race was quite doable after all with only two techs to go for all the spaceship components to be available, and I could have even achieved a 100k culture win sometime around 2010 even without the Spanish conquests.

Entered MA in 210BC
We got Feudalism, gave free techs to Greece and Korea, they both get Monotheism, this is a sign I have to go for Chivalry.

Wars
70BC - Attack Greece with 7 MI
10AD - Chivalry, stop research
30AD - Peace with Greece, conquered 4 cities including Athens, now I have 2 horses
170AD - New attack to Greece, time to trigger GA
270AD - Attack India
300AD - Terminate Greece, Attack France
410AD - end of GA
430AD - India terminated, France terminated
440AD - Attack America
460AD - Attack Korea
490AD - Korea terminated
500AD - Attack Spain
570AD - America terminated
600AD - Spain terminated
650AD - Domination

It took 35 hours of play for this game, I guess it will be one of the longest game in this GOTM.

I build very little in this game, I decided to sacrifice cities growth to quick military ... I hope it was the right choice.
In my 61 cities I just built:
12 barracks
4 Granary
5 Harbors
53 temples needed for domination

I finished the game with no contact with the last civ

Just one regret, despite many battles I got no GL. I would have used him to build FP in Athens. The boost in production could have saved me few turns.

Ok: Game was going rather slowly for me after a couple of setbacks so Entering IA my status was:

15 cities, 3 lux, had needed to rebuild my entire SOD after a nightmare flip 4 turns after capturing Paris, by which time my opponents had Riflemen and my stack was largely useless. I guess I could have turned the game into a grind but I'd rather wait for a real edge before I go back to warmonger mode.

I beeline to medicine (hospitals), then Steam and Industrialisation. For some reason I have bugger all workers compared to usual so Rails are slow to appear. Sci Method gives me ToE from a prebuild, I get Electronics and Replaceable Parts (IIRC) as free techs and soon get Hoovers form another prebuild. RP is what I have been waiting for though. I start upgrading my cannon, get bored halfway through and sign an RoP with France (whistling innocently as I pick up the pen...)

Paris has Leonardo's, do I upgrade to Arty before I attack, or take advantage of the Wonder , I settle for parking my SOD outside Paris with about a third of my 40 cannon upgraded and open fire (rape!) I use the Cannon first, redline the defence fairly quickly and capture Paris (6 Wonders by now!), then use the Artillery to hit Rheims, which I capture the same turn and gain Magellan's Voyage.

2 turns later I have control of the last major French city (Lyons? I don't remember.) And the world Dye supply. It's getting later in the game than I'd like from a scoring point of view so I immediately send my stack to India.

It's a bit of a grind, since most of the cities are 6-12's but India falls at about a city per turn. A peace treaty is agreed when they are reduced to 2 cities, their (new) capital on the mainland and Jaipur, on the 1 tile island just to the South of Pangae. Ghandi gives in for my demand that he relinquish Jaipur and India becomes the first Civ to be exterminated next turn (mean aren't I?) (Greece and France both have 1/2 cities on the Northern island.)

There is a brief hiatus in the proceedings as I Rail the rest of my holdings, I use one of the captured Indian cities as a 1 turn worker factory to assist, everywhere else is building courts/police/factories for production.

Still no GLs :mad:

The last 2 Indian cities experienced the newest terror of warfare, the Tank. I declare on America with 25 of the things and have to batter New York (all the American cities are Metros) for 2 turns with my 60 Artillery to redline the defenders, I am taking advantage of 2 attacks per turn to promote tanks whevever possible. Korea declares on me in the inter-turn, like I care, they are still Medieval!

Around this time i enter Modern Age. Rocketry is free, no-one else is close.

Philodelphia falls after another 2 turn bombardment. Washigton, Chicago and Seattle all go the same way and another opponent is finished. While they die they really **** me off by attacking and disbanding 2 stacks of workers on Auto-pollution who stand somewhere stupid without me noticing :mad:

Still no GLs :cry: I must have made about 30 attacks with Elite tanks alone so far.

Halfway through rolling up the Americans I send a stacks of tanks and my left-over Elite cavs (all 3 of them!) to Korea, who put up as much resistance as a tub of warm butter. I declare on the Spanish as well while i'm at it, in the hope that i'll get more enemies to attack with my Elites.

The final french city on this continent, just on the end between America and Korea, falls without putting up appreciable resistance, I capture another Korean city and... pinch myself to make sure i'm awake...

I GOT A LEADER! Cue partying in the street. [party] :beer:

Rush leader to a city and make an army, finish my turn with the last few attacks and OHMIGOD I GET ANOTHER ONE! I Send him to Paris and rush FP at last.

Korea is finished a few turns later. I decide to take out Spain asap, expecting to hit Domination soon.

Spanish resistance is feeble, especially when I upgrade 20 vet tanks to Modern Armour (beeline to Synthetics). New leaders seem to be flooding in after my dry spell and I have rushed Iron works in (Kolhapur?) and built another army.

Soon Pangaea is mine.

Hang on this has to be domination limit, surely?

Build temples. I do this everywhere anyway, but now I need to. In the meantime I rush a Battleship (for escort) down in Jaipur, where I have a Transport, send a load of troops, including an Army full of Elite Modern armour there and head off to one of the small (Spanish) islands to the East. More units, and another tank army detour to my other transport, which has been doing Ferry duty since it was a galley in the year dot, over near Babylon, and get these moving to the other (Spanish) island to the NW. I wait for 1 turn so that I can get a simultaneous attack, and land right next to the last 2 spanish cities for a 1 turn Coup-de-Grace. End turn.

Your Cultural Borders are expanding...

You have won a Domination Victory.

Thank you Temples. :)

1975! :( too damn slow. Firaxis score 893 IIRC. Jason... can't remember but probably a little better... lowest score badge anyone?

Offa said:
Did you automate your worker as well? Did you find time to do any trading?

I guess he put all builds in queue, so that the only thing he was doing was hitting enter ;)

brennan said:
1975! :( too damn slow. Firaxis score 893 IIRC. Jason... can't remember but probably a little better... lowest score badge anyone?

Open [civ3] v1.29f

Nope - I got 322! (Jason 908) I made too many mistakes...

Well, I won, 2027 AD, Diplo. (Shield, here I come)

When I started, I was too optimistic, went for something crazy like Warrior Code... BIG MISTAKE! Those 5 or so turns may have let me establish one more city on the mainland, and might have made my game, a bit more enjoyable, as diplomatic victory is not very fun for me.

Once I discovered I WAS on an island, I flipped research to beeline to Map Making. I also decided right off the bat to go for 20k or Diplo As I'm setting up my base, I see a problem:

Thank god it wasn't Persian, but the Greeks still became the reason I couldn't win in any form of culture of conquest.

I eventually get to the mainland and squeeze a city or two in. I'm building temples galore in all of these cities. (Unfortunately, all it did was delay the loss of it.)

I then discovered that Greece and France were fighting each other. I then decided to join Greece's side, they being the main power, once they did some damage.

Now I was ready to attack France. Culture was working for me for now. I was about to not be in last place.

The campaign was doing well. I was on my way to a good hold on the end of the penninsula, and was preparing to strike the capital. What sucked was that I lost Nineveh to Greek... CULTURE.

After a long fight and Marseilles flipping back and forth, I managed to defeat the French, and develop my new core city - Paris. I also managed to go from Chivalry to Military Tradition with the help of the Great Library (Where it subsequently expired). However, international situations were looming over the horizon (Some big mistakes on my part...)

Why did I? Fortunately, there was no fighting, and as soon as the MPP expired, I sued for peace. Later, I managed to get Lincoln up to Polite after that. Stupid me however kept the one with Greece later on.

I later declared war on Korea, as they were weak and backward. They had an MPP with Spain, so they declared, but didn't fight. Stupid me forgot to declare war before attacking, and I forgot that a ROP was still in effect. CRAP! I wouldn't be able to hold onto my ROP with Greece, which was almost necessary to my survival. Culture flipping had already claimed my two original cities on the mainland and a third on the penninsula. I managed to take a Korean city and found one in a gap. The settler went to waste, as in a few turns, his city became Greek. Later on, so did Orleans.

Fortunately, my falling behind tech-wise was not too much of an issue for diplomatic victory. Unlike then Theory of Evolution earlier on, I wasn't beaten to it by one turn. Due to the restrictions of UN voting, it was me vs. Greece. Having bribed everyone the turn before, and everyone hating Greece, everyone but Greece voted for me.

Two issues stuck out like a sore thumb: Culture and Technology (or lack there-of).

I'm pretty sure I'm a good candidate for the shield.

1.29 [civ3mac] Open
AA spoiler is here.
MA spoiler is here.

20k OCC in 1884 - Hammurabi The Pathetic - Firaxis 428, Jason 2181

Entering Industrial Times building Newton's - and completing it 1500AD. By now the AIs are so far ahead, that there is no chance for any additional Great Wonder. The only culture building available to OCC is the Intelligence Agency which I start 1790AD after trading for espionage; completed 1802.

After that is was just watching the AIs fighting. America and Spain are destroyed, Korea survives with 3 cities. In the end, the AIs are in Modern Times.

Babylon built some infantry and artillery, and nobody ever attacked it. In 1882 exactly 20.000 cp were reached and the victory announced next turn.

IIRC this was the 1st GOTM I completed without ever going to war.

I wonder why the tech pace was relatively fast in my game. Maybe I traded too much in the Ancient Ages.

Well, I intended to milk a GOTM for the first time. :eek:

So I just took the AI's out one after the other, while settling a lot. France went with horses in AA.
My new capital Paris was a 2-turn settler factory in GA, which was triggered in the Greek war.
Greece was handled with horses, swords and MDI, the rest with knights.
Then I forgot to check mapstat after taking 2 Iroquois cities and accidentially triggered domination in 820AD. :crazyeye:
Maybe it's better this way than losing patience somewhere in 1500s, which probably would have happened :lol: .

Attachments

• klarius_g44_m1.gif
    klarius_g44_m1.gif
    90.6 KB · Views: 571
First GOTM, I normally play warlord.

I wanted to do so much peace and win the diplomacy victory, that I didn't build enough of an empire and lost most of my empire to the greek and the french from war and cultural flip.

I started rebuilding my empire in the 1950AD when the greeks eliminated the Spanish and I send tons of settler to take the most territory of the spanish territory.

But in the end I lost a space victory ;( while being myself early in the industrial ages, never able to get in the race for technology

Software Version: PtW 1.27f for Windows
Entry class: Open
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 2044 AD
Firaxis score: 478
Jason score: 1376
Time played: 09:28:28

Top Bottom