GOTM 46 - Pre-Game discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
GOTM 46: Aztecs

After an 'epic' map last month, we take things down a notch or three this month.

Civilization: Aztecs (Militaristic, Religious, UU = Jaguar Warrior - 1/1/2)
Difficulty: Emperor.
Rivals: 5 Pre-selected.

World Age: 3 Billion years.
Climate: Arid.
Land Form: Continents.
Temperature: Warm.
Ocean: 80%
Map Size: Small.

Barbarians: None.

Starting map:

Minimap:

Ooh, COTM32 (also as Monty!) was my first ever Monarch win, so this should be fun :D

A nice-looking start location, too - move to the coast? I think that's a plan. But which way - south and keep both forests, or SW to clear that forest? If this were C3C, I'd go with S, but as it's PTW, getting shot of that forest with a settler will save 10 turns of chopping. Although - is that jungle to the west? If so settling on the forest will get the jungle in the city radius.

Flood plain? That's a desert tile, even worse! :eek:, it's a small map! This will be a short game!

Is that FP 1N of game? If so move north settle on hill would give some food, might be another FP for 5fpt. Other wise move south, will leave more room on river for another city up north too.

Why not just move west and settle on the hill. You get a coastal city next to a river. Immediate access to the game forest and possibly the FP NW, plus hill defence bonus. Also if that is a jungle to the west you might get a lux.

There also seems to be a coast NE of the hills in the east. Land might be limited in that direction so moving west could give you a little more room for a city to the east.

I have never played an arid world before, I take it settler factory sites are limited? Then again on a small map you won't have nearly as many cities.

To me, it looks like this:

As the map is small with big oceans, I´d like to build a tight inner ring at rank 3. Therefore I think about settling 1N, with more cities
a) in the jungle 2W of start
b) at river delta 1S of start
c) the coastal hill 2E of start
and some more in the undiscovered north.

Then again, maybe towns should rather be placed on desert tiles then on hills.

Given Ainwood's recent attitude towards starting location bonuses, I'd assume that settler factory sites will be limited no matter what the world features are... :rolleyes:

Your fog-gazing skills are stunning. I can't see FPs, nor luxes, nor coastlines anywhere!
And never mind the defensive bonus. I only hope there is enough room and resources in our starting area to build lots of units and turn this world into a scorched waste land ;)

EDIT: If it's as Twonky said, then moving 1W or 1N is definitely worth considering

I guess the first move will be to the game anyway, so that should reveal a few tiles and clear things up. I 2, think there's FP to the N, so settling 1N should give +5 food. Whether there are enough shields for a 4-turner, is doubtful.

Am I in the right forum? This looks exactly like a Hall of Fame start...

Aztecs - check
2 forests - check
Game - bonus check
Pangea - doh!

Oh well, I guess a pre-1000BC victory is out. But I still expect to see conquest and domination victories in the BCs.

Small, 80% water? - I will play.
If another continent is reachable by galleys, I may go for AAC.

Indeed, first move is to the game. Unless it reveals something interesting, I will settle on northern hill.

D'oh, I didn't spot the flood plain. North it is then, I like the suggestion of a tight ring-3 on this map. Yep, a settler factory start, veritably gold-dust in times like this. I mean, when was the last time we could see so many goodies just from the starting pic.... ;)

I only played COTMs recently due to lack of time, but i might play this one since it is 80% small map. Sounds like a fast game, but i have a feeling that the other continent is separated by ocean though.

The start doesn't look that good to me unless there are good tiles in the FOW, there are too few shields for a settler factory and chopping takes too much time in vanilla to chop hoping to find BGs. If i find time to play i will move my settler north too.

Does Barbarians = none mean no goody huts either? that would make it less important to pump out some early jag warriors to go scouting.

I think Barbs on none means none from goodie huts as well. I don't think you would need more than at most 2 Jag Warriors.

I'm planning a queue of 2 Jag Warriors followed by a Settler. Get as many cities as I can in the start and then concentrate on military to take over the world!!! :D

Limited research since you can't keep up anyway. Lets just hope that there are a few other civs on our continent otherwise you will be hopelessly behind in tech by the time you have contact with anyone else.

@Twinky: I think NW of game is hill instead of grass.

@ionimplant: game tile will give 2.2.1 unworked under despotism, 3.2.2 worked in republic/monarchy, hoped it´ll give 3 food in despotism.

@bio_hazard: Yes, I would still pump out some warriors to explore and meet contacts

Top Bottom