GOTM 46 - Pre-Game discussion

Hmm, I'm thinking stay put, though I haven't run all the options through to the 2-3 town stage. I guess my questions are these:

1) The capitol city has to be used to make the first settler. That usually means that it won't get over 3 pop for many turns. Why go for the dyes for the capitol?

2)Even if that is FP up there, the only reason to move the settler up to N hill is to start using it right away, right? It would take the worker 2 turns to get there and 4 turns irrigate to get it to 3.0.1. It is not advantageous. Most ppl would still use the game at least for those 6 turns. The worker could improve the game/forest in 6 turns to a 2.2.2 tile. Then move to the hopeful FP and irr in 5 turns. Wouldn't it be better still, to wait for cultural expansion to get the hopeful FP?

I'm newish to this, so I'm not sure if I correctly assess these things.

Well, I did a little more working on it, and whether to move north or not turns out to be of equal value, FP or no, except that going north gives the city a better defense and room to put a new city south on the coastline. So maybe it is advatageous, after all, to move north. However, if they are not FPs, then the advantage may be to move west on that hill to get defense bonus and on the coast. My only concern is that it is possible that to the east, there would be cattle on gl that would be missed by moving. Just the chance that there may be a bonus grassland might be worth considering.

Well, I'd really need to know what other tiles are around -and convinve my lazy self to do some calculations... :D

But I would definitely go after extra food first.
So, yes, if there is nothing better I'd probably be using the forest+game during the first 5 turns (the first one is used to move the settler and the worker), but I wouldn't spend worker time to road it: by heading straight to the FP you get to pop 2 earlier, which is always a nice thing.

Actually, by sending the worker to the hill first you will have a nice view of the surroundings, which will help decide whether to move the settler or not.

Actually, I'm hoping for three cows in the same BG tile (is that too much? :D ).

Small map, 80% water. Hmm, I might even try to play this one, if only as a break from my current highly addictive SGOTM thread-watching.

I don't have any doubts about the flood plain. There's a desert next to a river. That makes a flood plain unless ainwood has done some very strange things with the editor. I feel a move north is in order, hoping to build a decent ring at radius 3.x.

Let's see. Small world, Aztecs. I think I'll go for another spaceship.

Just kidding. Time to practice my archery skills.

Hmm I just finished my first CoTM... SO thinking of going for this one... Emperor! Yikes...
Have a question tho... should I just instll the GoTM full installer Mod that is found on the GoTM site? The go ahead and play?

DaveMcW said:
Am I in the right forum? This looks exactly like a Hall of Fame start...

Aztecs - check
2 forests - check
Game - bonus check
Pangea - doh!

My thoughts exactly. But I insist on a cow for a tiny map conquest attempt.
I presume Ainwood has made attempts to scupper very early war attempts, as they involve lots of luck: fine in HOF where you can just take a deep breath and load another start, but not so hot in GOTM.

Bans said:
Hmm I just finished my first CoTM...

... should I just instll the GoTM full installer Mod that is found on the GoTM site? The go ahead and play?
The All-in-One GOTM Installer is only required for vanilla players.

You clearly have Conquests, so you also have the Play the World (PtW) executable. You should therefore play the Classic GOTMs using PtW and not vanilla version 1.29f. If you use PtW you don't need any add-ons.

AlanH said:
The All-in-One GOTM Installer is only required for vanilla players.

You clearly have Conquests, so you also have the Play the World (PtW) executable.

Yeah I've Civ3, PTW and Conquest all patched up...
Uhh so i't means I am ready to play :)

Nice and thanks for ya quick answer!

Yuo just need to ensure that you don't load the game up in Conquests. If you play it in C3C it will be rejected when you come to submit it, which would be sad :cry:

Offa said:
I presume Ainwood has made attempts to scupper very early war attempts,.

Yes, I'm thinking our nearest neighbors are Greece, Carthage, and Rome, making a jaguar rush very difficult. :p

I don't know, Wardance. That tactic's been overused lately. I'm thinking we don't have any resources nearby. Jags are ok at the start, but are nothing against swords.

I'm not sure what to do yet. I tried my first GOTM last month with the Russians and finally quit without really getting anywhere. I didn't even bother turning it in.

I need to be more careful and thoughtful in this one.

I am thinking that the hill to the north with the flood plain is the best move, but I will move the worker first to the hill to see what it opens up, and will only move the settler if it truly is a flood plain.

If it is not, I may consider moving west, (but are there really dyes there, you are very good to be able to see that).

Wow. I usually don't like having to move at all with the settler. I like it even less on Emporer and a Small Map to boot - the AI has enough bonus without giving it another turn as a head-start.

Early war will be imperative. Being Militaristic will give cheap Rax, which is nice, but a Despotism GA is also very likely, which is not so nice.

I'm thinking that I will go for the early war in the hopes of getting a Leader to be used to rush the Great Library. Maybe even try a pre-build of some sort in an attempt to get the Colossus. I'll need Masonry ASAP for that (Palace pre-build).

Hmmmm.... I've never done a 20k.... maybe this is the map. I'd defininitely move north to get the food for a support city, building the wonder city to the south, unless something nice turns up.... but, wouldn't 100k on a small map on emporer be fun too? I have a few days to decide while I finish up COTM15.

i'll also try for 20k. emperor, and being militaristic, i don't know whether i should focus on developing my culture city or instead building up my military to get great leaders....

I like settling in place. Bonus grasses are needed for a proper settler factory or a proper jag rush, and settling in place would add three possible bgs to the capital. A move north only guarantees a shot at one.

Should be a short fun game; I'm going to try to play.

Renata

I am playing GOTM 46 (just to see how quickly I can lose), and I keep getting an error: Civ3 causing error in JGL.dll. I am using Windows ME. Can this error be fixed? I'm concerned because if I have a bit of luck with this game and submit it, it may look like I saved and reloaded too many times.

Top Bottom