Civ 4 sales.. your opinions?

garric

Emperor
How much do you guys think Civ 4 is going to sell (copy wise.).

This is the current tally (I'm not sure if these figures are correct, my friend who'se a big civ junkie told them to me.)

Civilization 1 - ~2.0 million
Civilization 2 - ~3.0 million
Civilization 3 - ~1.0 million

Imo, Civ 4 won't break 1 million units, I don't think.

Actually the numbers are mixed up - 1 sold a million, 2 sold two and 3 sold three. If that's any indication 4 will sell that many million as well. ;)

I have said it before and I'll say it agian, Civ4 will be the best selling Civ yet!!!! Easly 4 million :dance:

I think that if they put forth a great game, then people will not hold back in purchasing it. But I have a feeling half of the people who normally would just go and get it the first day are going to wait for the reviews.
Civ 3 was only worth getting until after 'conquests'. But somehow that didn't stop everyone from getting it right away- Today's gamers are a bit more cautious I believe.

I, for example, have evolved teeth better suited to my new diet (Coke and pizza) and an enhanced sense of smell.

Oh, and an extra arm.

But why the angry smiley in the title? I can't see the reason for it.

garric said:
How much do you guys think Civ 4 is going to sell (copy wise.).

This is the current tally (I'm not sure if these figures are correct, my friend who'se a big civ junkie told them to me.)

Civilization 1 - ~2.0 million
Civilization 2 - ~3.0 million
Civilization 3 - ~1.0 million

Imo, Civ 4 won't break 1 million units, I don't think.

Another 'basher/troll' in disguise I think. Judging from the so-called 'figures' in this post I think the idea is that Civ2 is the only Civ game that ever mattered, and any deviation, especially to anything new and improved in it like Civ3 had, is bad, Bad, BAD.

*yawns*

Personally I think Civ4 will beat the sales of any of the previous titles.

Any links to sales figures?

edit: Testing the new inline editor. Very sweet...

it would be funny if only like the 52 regular posters on this forum bought it.
(did a search on "PC game sales figures" and got nothing- but those numbers first listed seem to tidy )

troytheface said:
it would be funny if only like the 52 regular posters on this forum bought it.
(did a search on "PC game sales figures" and got nothing- but those numbers first listed seem to tidy )
Read the post, it's what my friend told me.

And the reason I don't think that it will breach one million is because PC gaming is on the decline, and the game will also be pirated. Civ 4 is going to hit the brick wall of the XBOX360, just like all PC gaming will (And will eventually die.)

Look at these sales:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc_game_sales

I say 5 million will sell, no kinding.

garric said:

Sales Chart

US PC Game Software Sales

* 1998 - $1.8 billion
* 1999 - $1.9 billion
* 2000 - $1.78 billion (84.9 million units)
* 2001 - $1.75 billion (83.6 million units)
* 2002 - $1.4 billion (61.5 million units)
* 2003 - $1.2 billion (52.8 million units)
* 2004 - $1.1 billion (45 million units)

Note that these statistics do not include revenues from online game subscriptions which may significantly change these figures.

well maybe that has something to with it huh

I wish they had actual numbers with this, but CivIV presell showed up as the highest ranking pc game sale on Amazon. pre-orders for the non-collectors edition rank 11th.

On EB Games, it is listed as the Best Selling pre-release, which are ranked separately from the sales of games already out there.

At least the initial rush looks promising for a strong sell...

ps- just had to try out the edit function- pretty sweet!

garric said:
Read the post, it's what my friend told me.

And the reason I don't think that it will breach one million is because PC gaming is on the decline, and the game will also be pirated. Civ 4 is going to hit the brick wall of the XBOX360, just like all PC gaming will (And will eventually die.)

Look at these sales:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc_game_sales
Yes but strategy genre is owed by the PC, and consoles cant compete with any real multiplayer geared game game like Battlefield 2, and their's no why they will be able to do a MMO. Also consider that just a few years ago computers were still really spendy, now they have really come down in price. Now look at the price of the new Xbox 360 (about $300) you can almost buy a low end computer for that, and there are so limit to what you can do as regards to expanding your gaming experience through mods and editors that really i believe maybe it wont be long before people stop buying consoles. I don't think PC gaming is going to die, more and more people are getting more proficient with computers and more likely to use them for everything including games.

Top Bottom