SCENARIO: America in the Philippines; 1898-1902

El Justo

Deity
the last third of my studies as an undergrad college student consisted primarily of this exact era (spanish/american war-philippine/american war-turn of 20th century). as such, i had always wanted to put together a scenario featuring the dearth of information i've acquired for this particular time period. so, over the last several days, i've put together what i'd describe as "America in the Philippines; 1898-1902". this is very likely my last ever civ3 scenario.

ask someone what they know about the Americans in the Philippines and they may say something like "civilize 'em with a Krag!" or "Benevolent Assimilation". you may even get the Bataan death march, Corregidor, or the Battle of Leyte Gulf which are all from WW2.

America first became active in the Philippine Islands on 1 May 1898 when acting secretary of the navy, Theodore Roosevelt, ordered then Commodore George Dewey to destroy the Spanish fleet at Manila. a state of war had existed for just over a week when Dewey proclaimed "Gridley...you may fire when ready!"as a result, Dewey's Asiatic Squadron was responsible for firing the first shots of the Spanish-American War and thrusting the United States onto the 'world stage'.

Dewey's fleet made quick work of the dilapidated Spanish squadron in Manila Bay. sure, they fired their guns at the Yanks (as well as shore batteries) but they were all pretty much off the mark (a few shells got through but did little damage & no KIA). the sole American casualty was a sailor who suffered a heart attack aboard the USRC McCulloch before the battle even took place.

the Spanish were quick to realize that they were clearly outgunned. they took refuge in the old port city of Manila and the surrounding vicinity while the Americans and the Filipino rebels dug in around Manila. what our history books failed to tell us was that the Spanish and the Filipinos were just resuming hostilities against one another when war broke out vs the US and the Spanish. in 1896, the Filipinos had engaged the Spanish in open warfare w/ an eye towards independence and the eviction of the oppressive Spanish colonial regime on the islands. a cease-fire had been brokered by the time the US came into the picture. soon thereafter, by May of 1898, the USN (by Dewey himself!) picked up the rebel leaders, Emilio Aguinaldo among them, in Hong Kong and delivered them back to the islands in an effort to assist the US in their struggle for the Spanish. fast-forward to June of 1898: the Filipinos declare their independence from Spain and form what historians refer to as the "First Philippine Republic".

By August 1898, American forces had entrenched themselves around the outskirts of Manila. the initial battle for Manaila against the Spanish is a controversial one in that the event is said to have been staged as a pre-arranged mock battle. the logic was that the Spanish petitoned the American contibgent for what they deemed an honorable surrender. most improtantly, though, was the fact that the Spanish wanted absolutely nothing to do with the Filipino rebels for fear of fatal repraisals. as such, the rebel army, under the command of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo, was not notified nor briefed when the staged event began. Manila fell to the Americans in August 1898 when the Spanish surrendered all Philippine possessions. General Elwell S. Otis, the new commander of the VIII Corps, set up a perimeter around the city and ordered all rebel forces to vacate the city.

the turning point of American involvement in the Philippine Islands came in December 1898 when the US and Spain negotiated the Treaty of Paris thus officially ending the war and as a result, the Philippine Islands were ceded over to the US for the sum of $20M. left completely out of the negotiations were the Filipinos. tensions were mounting as the US began sending in transport after transport full of re-enforcements.

4 February 1899: the recently signed Treaty of Paris was waiting for Congressional ratification when an American sentry fired on a Filipino when he refused his order to halt. the Philippine-American War had begun.

little is taught or spoken of about this war. it wasn't until 1998 that the US Congress officially changed the name of the conflict from "The Philippine Insurrection" to the "Philippine-American War". this switch was done primarily b/c many Filipino historians note that since the rebels declared independence from Spain in June 1898 that the rebels were no longer rebels and that they were instead a soveriegn nation when the hostilities between the US and the Filipinos began in February 1899. however, the classification of the conflict as an "insurrection" is somewhat accurate as a) the US Congress never declared war vs the Filipinos and b) from a legalistic standpoint, the islands were a possession of the US as a result of the Treaty of Paris and for all intensive purposes, were of internationally recognized as the possessors of the islands.

a quick synopsis of the war:
first shot fired: 4 february 1899
american KIA: about 4,500
filipino KIA: about 20,000 (enemy combatants only)
an additional 200,000 were said to have perished as a result of the war. most were peasants who had the not-so-good fortune of being in the path of the American forces as they burned villages to the ground, bombarded cities and barrios from land and sea, and generally rendered much of the countryside usesless from an agricultural stand point.

it was not until 4 July 1902 when Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed the hostitlites over with. however, fighting raged on in some parts of the archipelago (sounds familiar, eh?). the southern-most island of mindinao wasn't completely pacified until 1913 or so.

this is a very, very fast playing scenario in that there are essentially only 2 civis: the Filipinos and the USA (the Spanish are unplayable and have the "Skip 1st turn" flag). there are no unit upgrade paths and min/max turn times for the techs are locked in at 8. the tech tree spans one full era of about 22 techs iirc (Industrial era). the time limit is 179 turns; specifically, May 1898 until July 1902. the first turn encompasses 42 Weeks bringing turn no. 2 up to February 1899. culture flips is turned on and magnified. so, build culture improvements and be careful what you garrison and where because one can loose its Asiatic Squadron if you're not careful.

download the main folder here

be sure to unzip this and place this file into the following directory:
Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios

the biq file is attached at the bottom of this post.

EDIT: VERY IMPORTANT

the 'transport carsh' issue is the result of a missing units_32 file that i forgot to add into the Art/Units folder. sorry about that. DL it here and load up your last 'Autosave' and you'll be back in business.

1st version REMOVED AFTER 10 DLs

enjoy!

Attachments

• PAW1.0.zip
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,967
the first turn of this scenario is critical.

if you're playing as the Americans, it is recomended that you go after the immobile Spanish fleet stationed in Manila Bay. use some caution though as one or two of the Spanish vessels may sink one of your ships, specifically, one of the gunboats. your assault on Manila will be painless (for themost part). garrison your troops and watch out for the Filipinos as they will attempt to dislodge you right off the bat.

click here for a more in-depth review of US strategy.

if you've chosen the Filipinos, then make sure you hold the line, especially in the central Luzon corridor from Malalos to about San Fabian. don't be afraid to entrench your troops in the earthworks around Manila. they offer fantastic defensive bonuses (better than towns and cities!). you have no real navy outside of a few transport barcas which are much like a junk.

one thing the Filipinos must face is an awful lot of corruption and general unhappiness through out their cities and towns. so if you're to play w/ this position, be ready for some unhappy peeps.

click here for a more in-depth review of Filipino strategy.

the US doesn't have as much unhappiness issues. instead, they have to worry about culture flips.

Sea units:
sea units for the US are not buildable. however, the US starts w/ every single warship of the original Asiatic Fleet from the Spanish-American War w/ the USFS Olympia (United States Flag Ship) leading the way. the Olympia is a hellva ship, too. there's a wonder available to the US that autopro's "Gunboats" which are heavily armed, small warships that the US used as coastal artillery and amphibious landing suppport. historically, they wreaked havoc on the insurgent coastal defenses.

the Filipinos have no warships. their only sea unit is a transport (Barca).

Artillery:
the US can build 3 types of land-based artillery: the Hotchkiss 1.65" mountain gun, the 3" Hotchkiss, and a 155 MM Siege Gun.
the Filipinos: 20 pounder field cannon

Infantry:
USA: Sentry, Volunteer, Regular, and Marine
Filipinos: Militia, Irregular, Regular, Guerilla, and Moro Rifleman (mindinao only)

Cavalry:
USA: Cavalry Troop, Scout
Filipinos: Insurgent Cavalry, Moro Raider

Flavour Unit:
Boloman (cruise missile flag)

to be cont'd

Credits:
units~Wyrmshadow, Aaglo, Bebro, CivArmy, Wheel Gator
map~emperor (aka Lord Parkin) --- with slight modifications by El Justo
city placement: El Justo
city gfx~MaisseArsouye
techs~Ukas
city improvements~Ukas
terrain~warpstorm

Attachments

• PAWDewey.JPG
    PAWDewey.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,710
the geography of the P.I. is very unique. it is made up of over 7,000 different islands. of course, it's impossible to include all 7K+ on a civ map but most, if not all of the majot islands/provinces, are included. here is a map which identifies almost all of the major island province by name.

below is a shot of the map. it is originally done by Emperor (aka Lord Parkin). on the far right corner is San Franciso and the surrounding area. this may seem a little out of scale but it's the only option, really, if i want to include any part of the US.

Attachments

• PAWmap.JPG
    PAWmap.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 3,245
order of battle:

blue = USA
white = Philippines

US

1st columm from left to right and top to bottom:
US Scout
1.65" Hotchkiss mountain gun

2nd columm:
US Volonteer
US Regualr
3" Hotchkiss mountain gun
US Marine

3rd columm:
Gatling Gun

4th columm:
Macabebe Scout

5th columm:
US Cavalry Troop

Filipinos

clockwise from left to right:

Insurgent Regular (pointy NVA-VC type hat)
Maxim MG (they had only a few of them)
Insurgent Irregular
Insurgent Regular (again)
Moro Rifleman (mindinao)
Moro Radier (mindinao)
Boloman

not pictured: Insurgent Militia, Insurgent Guerilla, and Insurgent Cavalry

cool trenches, too! the insurgents were said to have constructed very impressive earth works (according to reports).

Attachments

• PAWoob.JPG
    PAWoob.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 3,294
I´ve downloaded the .biq file only... but it´s good! So crowded around Manila!
qué mal español :shakehead ;)

AlCosta15 said:
Woo-Hoo! It's here. YEAH!!

Edit: What's the ideal civ choice?
i guess there really isn't one good one and one bad one.

each of the 2 have their pluses and minuses.

the filipinos have some cheap albeit not so good ground units.

the US has a bunch of different units but most have to be shipped across the Pacific.

the good news is that the AI US does ship their units across the pond. i saw a lot of that while testing w/ the filipinos.

AlCosta15 said:
ok, im about to start my first game with the ..... Americans.
AlCosta15,

be sure to re-DL the bq or...go into the editor and delete the stack of 155 mm arty and the filipino cavalry units 2 clicks from Manila. i forgot to delete them in the original upload. it's now fixed...sorry!

post a report if you could. thanks!

ok, i didn't re-download biq, started game.
Is the map supposed to be revealed? Because its not.

AlCosta15 said:
ok, i didn't re-download biq, started game.
Is the map supposed to be revealed? Because its not.
no. it's not supposed to be revealed. you'll have to explore w/ your ships or land troops and start exploring. very little was known about the philippines in those days. it is alleged that pres mckinley couldn't even find the P.I. on a map when the S/A War began. also, the US Army inherited old spanish maps of the islands and they were all way off; ie roads, villages, etc. iow, alot of exploring is needed by the american position.

I started a new game. Right now Im on turn 4 as Americans. Took Manila and Guam. Filipinos took Carivsto to eliminate Spain. Holding all units in Manila and sending them off on anti-insurgency runs surrounding cities to sustain minimal losses. Meanwhile U.S. transports have dropped off 20 units on big island in North to "liberate the south from Filipino terrorists."

I know i shouldn't call them terrorists, but that's what they would be called by U.S. government. (In my mind.)

AlCosta15 said:
I know i shouldn't call them terrorists, but that's what they would be called by U.S. government. (In my mind.)
in today's day and age, yeah...but back then, they referred to them as insurgents, rebels, and ladrones (thieves).

you see, the US never actually declared war. instead, it was deemed a rebellion against a legally recognized possessor of the islands (ie Treaty of Paris). so, anyone who opposed US authority was branded as an "insurrectionist", hence the name "Philippine Insurrection".

however, be the 1990s (why so late?), the US Congress actually re-classified the conflict as "The Philippine-American War".

no biggie though...just thought i'd shed some light on the classifications (confusing as they may be).

New Report: Turn 5, Rebels are surrounding Manila, using sea units to bomb, them, evacuated artillery, just in case it gets captured by some miracle. American troops in east have started a campaign to drive all rebels to North or big island in North.

It does look great, but I keep getting a CTD.

The first time I double clicked on Honolulu.

The second time I was moving troops into a troop ship near San Francisco.

There was no message box.

Emperor Martyn said:
It does look great, but I keep getting a CTD.

The first time I double clicked on Honolulu.

The second time I was moving troops into a troop ship near San Francisco.

There was no message box.
this is odd as i experienced this as well on my laptop. however, i've run it w/out a single crash on my PC. :confused: i'm not sure what this is...

Top Bottom