One Screenie

Alan_Bernardo

Chieftain
Here's one screen shot, since some wanted a bigger one than what someone else had offerred.

All I did was start the game, select "Play Now", and here's the first screen after all the options were selected and the game was ready:

Looks like a good starting location, though I'd probably settle on 3

Sweet. I'm impressed with the level of info shown. Out of interest though, what do the various buttons at the middle bottom do? At a guess, they're disband, guard, skip turn, attack and go to, but what's the final one?

Yea that looks like a "decent" place to start...i say that because it looks like you have the mountains to your east for some protection, but from the way Sullla was talking you need decent resources, and pickins' seem a little slim there.

Is that a goody hut about 3 tiles to the southwest?

@azure....could that last button be "fortify"?

Thanks, fortify seems to fit, even if it's a hell of an obsecure icon (to me at least ; )

Haha! Thankyou Alan. It wasn't fortify after all.

There is what looks to be some resources on the 7 and there is something in the water so settling where the warrior is doesn't look so bad. Sulla demonstrated amply how important resources are in his walkthrough.

I do have one question though about this particular screenie, for all you veteran civvers.....

If those are, in fact mountains to his east, are they impassable to which units in Civ 4?

I thought i read somewhere that certain tiles were impassible to certain units.

I'd settle on 6. I assume the rocks on 7 are stone, since it's that or Iron and I doubt he can see iron right now. A city on 6 gets the hammers from the stone, the clams right nextdoor, and what I suspect will turn out to be some more resources to the east you can't see yet.

jmc: Yes, mountains are impassible this time. Not sure I like that either. However, those are definately not mountains; they're hills.

Mountains are impassable to all units - I think planes can fly over them but not preforma any action

The buttons are labelled, although the arrowheads are pointing the wrong way.

I would guess that those are Hills off to the right.

Yea upon further looking at it...those do look like rocky hills.

3 would be bad because the resource is out of range.

THose to the east are hills, Mountains are unmistakeable and unpassable. Hills can be travelled through and mines on top of them.

But he'd lose the only grassland in sight if he moved east, wouldn't he, and seeing as there aren't so many food resources nearby, I'd think that the grassland tile would be quite important...

Kind of useless discussion though, since he's probably got a thriving civ up and running already (hopefully for him)... :D

crazybeard said:
The buttons are labelled, although the arrowheads are pointing the wrong way.

I would guess that those are Hills off to the right.

Here's another screenie, to satisfy CB, who seems to be a bit particular about his arrows. :)

This is the same start, this time using highlands as the map:

I can post more, if you guys want something special. :)

Alanb

Top Bottom