XML Problems: Complete steps to fix this problem (it fixed mine)

CivAlby

Chieftain
Solution is the following (important you execute all of the following steps in order):

1. Go to Start-> Settings -> Control Panel -> Reginal and Language Options -> and set to English (United States)

2. Update your xml parser with the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a3ad088-a893-4f0b-a932-5e024e74519f&DisplayLang=en

Download 'msxml3.msi' and use that file to install the new parser

3. Reboot your computer

4. Go to My Documents/My Games/Civ 4/... (I forget the full path), there is a directory in there with cached XML data. It is essential that you clear that cache to make sure the XML actually gets parsed again. Try to search for the file crc.dat under the directory mentioned above. I remember it was something like:
My Documents/My Games/Civ 4/.../XML
(I will update the full path after I get home)

5. Startup Civilization 4 and you should have no more problems with XML parsing and will be able to see all text in the game

I also am having problems at the Checking XML stage. I have downloaded a couple things from microsoft (from a couple suggestions here). That did not help.
FINALLY getting to talk to someone at the customer support, she gave me a link to the same things I already downloaded (see above). I tried again, rebooted (did that a few times). Again same problem.
Seems to be a common problem yet I can not seem to fix it. I have pretty basic computer knowledge.
I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could walk me through a solution via instant messenging. I am on MSN messenger under name BLTurner@Hotmail.com
I am in Los Angeles (West coast) of USA. I will be online some tonight and most likely most of the day Sat and Sun.

PLease help

Urk! I am still waiting for my copy but I have serious thoughts about cancelling my order. Why? I have a strong feeling this problem will hit me too. You wonder why? Feel free to interpret! :mad: Let's just say I have a very strong feeling that my copy will have problems on my computer and I really don't wanna reinstall windows to get it working as I also use this machine as a digital recording studio... it would be a ***** to reinstall and configure all the software for that!

Are there no official replies from the dev's about this issue? It seems quite a few ppl get this problem!

Well I am happy to say, I got CIV 4 working now. The magically trick ( for me) was to create another user on the computer then start the game from the new user's page. IT worked just fine for me.

Pretty weird and I certainly do not understand why, but it worked

veryfinemale said:
Well I am happy to say, I got CIV 4 working now. The magically trick ( for me) was to create another user on the computer then start the game from the new user's page. IT worked just fine for me.

Pretty weird and I certainly do not understand why, but it worked

yeah, this trick kinda worked for me... I created another user and used the Run As option. but then, if I try to run as the new user it gives the same error, but if I try to run with the adm account it runs...

any ideas?

I had the bit where it wouldn't proceed past the 'checking xml' thing too. I tried EVERYTHING on every thread on these forums, nothing worked. So I uninstalled the game, then reinstalled. HUZZAH!!! It works! And it's awesome! If you've tried everything and still can't get it to work try the uninstall/reinstall. I am one happy girl now, let me tell you. Time to get back to the game!:D

Solution is the following (important you execute all of the following steps in order):

1. Go to Start-> Settings -> Control Panel -> Reginal and Language Options -> and set to English (United States)

2. Update your xml parser with the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a3ad088-a893-4f0b-a932-5e024e74519f&DisplayLang=en

Download 'msxml3.msi' and use that file to install the new parser

3. Reboot your computer

4. Go to My Documents/My Games/Civ 4/... (I forget the full path), there is a directory in there with cached XML data. It is essential that you clear that cache to make sure the XML actually gets parsed again. Try to search for the file crc.dat under the directory mentioned above. I remember it was something like:
My Documents/My Games/Civ 4/.../XML
(I will update the full path after I get home)

5. Startup Civilization 4 and you should have no more problems with XML parsing and will be able to see all text in the game

In step 4, You can double-click C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini ,

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini ,

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Warlords\CivilizationIV.ini to open them,

disable the xml cache by setting Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 1

After xml is reparsed, set Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 0

I can see all the text and it is work fine for me.

I am having the same problem. Ori pointed me out to this thread. I will try it out as soon as I get home.

Top Bottom