Abandon City?

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
Can't find a way to abandon a city. Possible?

(No Quick Answers thread yet... the entire forum is a quick answer thread right now).

Hmm... so when you (inadvertently) gain cities via culture flip - cities you absolutely don't want... are there any options other than:

1) Giving them away to friends... with the risk of flipping them back to you again? And if so... does culture flipping an allies' city worsens relations?

2) Giving them to enemies / neutrals... as above

3) Turning off ALL culture flipping at the custom setup screen

4) Using the editor to remove the city (cheating IMO)

I'm loving Civ4, but I hope they reconsider and change this.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Looks like it is back to the bad old days. This was one of the problems with the first Civ that came out.
I hated it, they would build right on your door step as Civ has never had decent border protection (Alpha Centauri was great). Not only would they invade your territory they would encroach upon your cities resource squares (as well as road access). In the first Civ you could not even raze a city even if you took it over.

People complained about it so much they eventually gave us the raze city option in Civ II (when you took control of a city) and the abandon city option (Civ III).

I cannot believe they have gone back to this frustrating problem, maybe someone just screwed up and it was an oversight.

I am still waiting for the game to be released (suppose to be Nov 3), at least it is good to hear that there is still an option to raze a city when you take it over, so all is not lost.

Does the AI still build cities that intrude on your resource squares?

yo_gadgetboy said:
Does the AI still build cities that intrude on your resource squares?

The AI no longer knows where all the resources are on the map, so that's not going to be as much of an issue as it was. It's just as blind as the human player now, it has to explore first.

nomikos said:
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry, I can't help you. I was just passing on some info that one of the beta testers mentioned. You'll have to figure it out yourself I guess.

In my recent game I was going for a conquest victory. I wiped out every civ except the last two cities of the last civ. I owned like 55% of the land. Well I took those two cities on my last turn and figured what the hell there's no reason to raze since they'll only be one tile and I'll win this turn anyway. Only to find they had 1 little island city somewhere. It took me another 50 years to find their little island city. When I was 1 turn away from killing the lone longbowman in their last city those two cities I had taken expanded and it triggered domination. Very annoying, all because I couldn't abandon a city. I could have had domination 500 years sooner if I wanted that victory condition. Yeah I know I could have turned off domination victory when I started the game but I wanted to leave my options open. :(

But was a fun game anyway so I don't want to make it out like I'm pissed off or anything. I do think they need to patch in a way to abandon cities, though.

Shillen said:
I do think they need to patch in a way to abandon cities, though.

IIRC, Civ 3 didn't have the option when it first came out either. I believe they added it to one of the early patches. So who knows. In a way I kind of like it, though I can see that it might be a pain in certain situations.

I was wondering this myself. I'm really sad to see you can't ditch cities :( I'm in the middle of a game now where I REALLY need to burn an ally's city once I culture bomb it. In a game with such small maps where city placement really matters far more than in civ3, you need to be able to burn them. Hopefully it'll be in the first patch.

Abandon city would be ok, but only for small cites. Beyond a certain size you should not be allowed to abandon it. I can't think of many real world parallels to such an action... particularly in modern times.

Mazruk said:
is it possible to starve them to death?

No you can't, (There should probably be some way to at least move a city)

Although you can gift the city to a civ you are prepared to go to war with and then raze it.

Perhaps an option should be given to abandon a city (turn it over to barbarians)

The best way I can think of it is to allow a small city to become a settler. (if the city has no buildings and is size 1-3 it can be given a 'relocation' order..transforming it into a settler...I'm assuming that you can sell off buildings here)

You can raze a city you capture, so if you're really desperate you can gift the city, then attack and raze it. Although it would be simpler if they just added "abandon city" back into the game.

Heffalump said:
Abandon city would be ok, but only for small cites. Beyond a certain size you should not be allowed to abandon it. I can't think of many real world parallels to such an action... particularly in modern times.
New Orleans? They should have abandoned the city and start over elsewhere...

If your looking for another real world equivilent, then what about the 1 factory towns that cant support themselves when that factory closes down? The citizens move elsewhere, and the city dies.

There is historical preciedent for it but really only due to economics or major natural diasters

Heffalump said:
Abandon city would be ok, but only for small cites. Beyond a certain size you should not be allowed to abandon it.

I like this idea, but I would change it a little. I would make it so you could abandon even the largest cities, but it would take longer.

Here's my idea:

Cities less than 3 can be abandoned at any time. Cities over 3 must be "de-populated" over time before they can be abandoned. You would select an option in the city screen that tells the city to de-populate. Then, maybe every other turn, the city would lose one population point. That continues until it reaches 3, at which time you can raze it at any time. As a result, abandoning a large city (10 or above) would take a lot of time. You can't just ask several million people to just up and leave all at once.

I don't know if this is something that could be implemented or not, but I think it would be a great addition.

Runriot said:
New Orleans? They should have abandoned the city and start over elsewhere...

If your looking for another real world equivilent, then what about the 1 factory towns that cant support themselves when that factory closes down? The citizens move elsewhere, and the city dies.

There is historical preciedent for it but really only due to economics or major natural diasters

Even New Orleans hasn't been abandoned.

Nor were any of the major German / Japanese cities that were COMPLETELY destroyed during the war. Even Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still going strong today.

Abandoning a city is not something that should be easily done. In fact I don't even think razing a city beyond a small size should be allowable.

:mad:

What am I suppose to do with this settlement I took from the barbarians that can't produce culture or hammers????

I don't think abandoning a city with population >1 is realistic. Perhaps razing the city, even if it is your own...much to the horror of other civs in the game.

Or, perhaps an option to just kick it out of your civ, so that it turns barabarian...thay can have cities, now. Then you, or any other civ, can either destroy it or conquer it.

But getting rid of a city chouldn't be easy.

Top Bottom