"Religious Victory"

donquixote235

Chieftain
Hi,

I was playing with the CIV4VictoryInfo.xml file, and I noticed that you can set Religious victory conditions. So I made the following addition:

Code:
<VictoryInfo>
	<Type>VICTORY_RELIGIOUS</Type>
	<Description>Religious Victory</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_VICTORY_DIPLOMATIC_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	<bTargetScore>0</bTargetScore>
	<bEndScore>0</bEndScore>
	<bConquest>0</bConquest>
	<bDiploVote>0</bDiploVote>
	<bPermanent>0</bPermanent>
	<iPopulationPercentLead>0</iPopulationPercentLead>
	<iLandPercent>0</iLandPercent>
	<iMinLandPercent>0</iMinLandPercent>
	<iReligionPercent>51</iReligionPercent>
	<CityCulture>NONE</CityCulture>
	<iNumCultureCities>0</iNumCultureCities>
	<iTotalCultureRatio>0</iTotalCultureRatio>
	<VictoryMovie></VictoryMovie>
</VictoryInfo>

Now whenever I start a new game, I have a "Religious Victory" option, with 51% as my goal. My question is this: 51% of what? Is it 51% of all cities having my religion, or is it 51% of all civs having my religion as their state religion? What if I found several religions... is it 51% of all those religions total, or is it 51% of one particular religion?

-DQ

:eek: This is awesome!

In response to your question, I don't know for certain, but I would suspect that the percentage applies to number of cities with your civs state religion (+you own founding city?). Just a guess.

That's possible. I tried spreading my religion to as many cities as possible, but it didn't seem to gibe with the percent figure I was given on the victory conditions screen (it said I had 24%, where I had spread Hinduism (my state religion) to all of my cities, all of Germany, all of Mansa Musa's civ, and much of Mongolia as well as much of Egypt). But by the same token I hadn't been able to put a single missionary into Russia, which had a huge number of cities, and the Aztecs, which had the second largest number.

One thing I did notice however was that it made me want to act more war-like, particularly when I was going up against a civ with Theocracy and a rival religion as its state religion. If I couldn't pass it peacefully, I found myself more than willing to shove my beliefs down their throats, so it definitely added a degree of realism, at least in a "Crusades" kind of way.

Actually, now that I mention that, this would be a perfect victory condition for a Crusades mod; it would make a great team mod.

What a brilliant idea!

I expect to see some savory, flavory mods built around this principle. Oh, the joys of crusading and inquisition...

Does this show anything new in the "victory conditions" progress screen? I'll have to try this out sometime, although it sounds like it needs balancing. 51% of the world having your religion would be quite easy.

When you go in the prayer Icon on the upper right corner of the screen, it shows the percentage of each religion, my guess is that thats the number your aiming for.

suspendinlight said:
Does this show anything new in the "victory conditions" progress screen? I'll have to try this out sometime, although it sounds like it needs balancing. 51% of the world having your religion would be quite easy.

You can set it to any percentage... 51% just meant "the majority", so I started out with it. I got up to around 1650 and I only had 24%, so it's not as easy as it sounds. The new victory condition does indeed show up on the Victory Conditions screen, although you have to scroll down to see it (unless you remove another victory condition). It also appears in the game creation screen as a victory option you can either tick or untick.

Rhymes said:
When you go in the prayer Icon on the upper right corner of the screen, it shows the percentage of each religion, my guess is that thats the number your aiming for.

Yeah, that's apparently it... I just went into my game and found 23% there and 23% on my victory screen... the closest competitor was Christianity; it had 15% on the religion screen but only 13% on the victory screen. I don't know why those numbers are different, but at the very least they seem to be close if not exactly the same.

I just found out my own answer.

I started a new game, this time as India, and I managed to get all the religions. I converted to Judaism, and got all the other civs to convert as well. Fortunately I was able to get open borders with all civs, and as a result I spammed my missionaries all over the globe. I won a religious victory in 1625 AD with 51% of the cities in the world following Judaism.

suspendinlight said:

I'll second this question since I'm at work and can't check. Does it show in the F8 victory screen?

That's great.

As for how the percentages of religion work, that's my understanding:

Assume there are 4 cities in the world:
A - with 6 (million) people
B - with 6
C - with 3
D - with 3

Now, assume there are 3 religions in the world: 1, 2 and 3.
The religions are spread as follows:

A: 1, 3
B: 1, 2, 3
C: 3
D: None.

So, numers are these:
A: 3 of Rel 1, 3 of Rel 3
B: 2 of Rel 1, 2 of Rel 2, 2 of Rel 3
C: 3 of Rel 3

The total number of people in the world is 6+6+3+3=18

Total number of people of religions is:
Rel 1: 5
Rel 2: 2
Rel 3: 8
No religion: 3

So, religion 3 would get 4/9 of world populace, i.e. would be nearing 50%.

suspendinlight said:
Not really, as every extra religion in a city with "your" religion would reduce the percentage of your religion in the world.

What qualifies as "your" religion?
Is it...

a) your state religion?
b) you founded the religion?
c) you control the holy city?
d) some combination of the above?

-RdF

The % stat in the Religion Advisor screens shows the percentage of that religion that's present among the TOTAL population in the world, including people who don't have a religion. Which explains why the percentages don't add up to 100%.

I'm guessing the % stat in the religious victory thing means the presence of that religion among people who already HAVE a religion.

roidesfoux said:
What qualifies as "your" religion?
Is it...

a) your state religion?
b) you founded the religion?
c) you control the holy city?
d) some combination of the above?

-RdF
My guess would be that it is either:
a) your state religion the holy city of which you also control, or
b) any religion the holy city of you control, but not adding up all religions the holy cities of which you control if you have more than 1.

The second would probably make more sense, since the first would be impossible to win if you had the Free Religion civic enabled.

Em.. the % of the religions don't add up to 100%, that indicates that religions don't screw with each other. So a city with 5population and 2religion just acts as if both religions have 5 ppl believing in em.

Also, this is probably a removed option from the game? one which fireaxis thought was not good for gameplay? I wonder why..

I looked at the victory screen on the first turn, and it said for my score, "No Holy City." So, I'd say that for a religious victory you need to control the holy city of the majority religion.

Top Bottom