Final Fantasy Skin - Red Mage (1/05/06)

Dual

Gun Mage
This is a reskin of the explorer unit to look like the Red Mage character class from the very first Final Fantasy videogame.

A Red Mage is able to cast both healing and attack spells (although only the weaker spells), and is also a competent swordsman.

View attachment Red_Mage.zip

EDIT:

Here's a alternate version without the sword, as was requested in post #10. I think it looks better with the sword myself, but it wasn't too hard to edit out with the alpha channel. This makes it look like the Red Mage is laying the smackdown with his bare fists. :lol:

View attachment RED_MAGE_SWORDLESS.zip

Here are some pics:

redmage1.jpg

redmage2.jpg

If you are wondering why the lower half of his face is red, that is a cloth handkerchief kind of thing. Like what they always show train robbers in the old west movies wearing. ;)

Now you have made me want to go play Final Fantasy again. ;)

The screenshots aren't showing up :(. Try just uploading a pic as an attachment.

Really weird looking, but noce. I never played Final Fantasy though

Looks great! You mentioned the abilities of the red mage. I was wondering what the stats for the new unit is.

Marquez said:
Looks great! You mentioned the abilities of the red mage. I was wondering what the stats for the new unit is.

In my game I've added a line of magic techs, with the Red Mage being from a tech that takes roughly the same amount of time to research as Iron Working. So the stats I'm using reflect that the Red Mage is a slightly more powerful swordsman:

Strength: 7 (1 extra damage because he can use magic)
Movement: 1
Cost: 45 (Slightly more expensive than a swordsman)
- Starts with March (To represent the healing spells)

Please note, I don't want to confuse anyone into thinking the zip file I posted has these stats for the unit included. The file is just the graphics, so you'll have to edit in any stats you want for your new unit.

Have you considered removing the sword? I understand it is possible to remove weapons from units, but no other parts of the model.

I think the Red Mage would be more like a Red Mage if it didn't have a sword ... that way one could assume that all he did was cast magic.

I like the red handkerchief around his neck ;)

Well, I like the sword myself. But it might be possible to make it not show up by editing the alpha channel.

Maybe I'll mess around with it in a couple days. If I can get it to work I'll post a swordless version.

Ih8backstabbers said:
Can you show a screenshot of the magic techs?

Sure, here's a sample of the magic techs I've edited in.

I'm going to release a mod based on Final Fantasy (along with some other anime/sci-fi sources) sometime in the future. But it's going to be quite a while before it's ready. I need the SDK to do a lot of the changes I want to do, and I'm still in the process of learning to use Python.

MagicTechSample.jpg

Ih8backstabbers said:
Thanks for the screenshot. So what tech do you need for the Red Mage?
P.S. I like to play FF1!

Well, can you add White Mages/Wizards and Black Mages/Wizards? The Mages could promote to Wizards with a new tech, like Alchemy?

That Grey Magic tech is the one I have giving the Red Mage. I've already added White and Black mages to the White and Black Magic techs, and I'm planing on adding wizards somewhere along the way. Right now I have Black Mages promoting to Necromancers, and White Mages to Summoners. Everything is in the early stages though, so things might get shuffled around a lot.

Oh, and Alchemy is going to be in the mod. The tech and unit is going to be a mixture of ideas from the FF alchemists and the anime Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm not going to be keeping strictly to FF, I'm going to be making additions from all sorts of the different fantasy/sci-fi stories and games I like. :mischief:

Shqype said:
Have you considered removing the sword? I understand it is possible to remove weapons from units, but no other parts of the model.

I think the Red Mage would be more like a Red Mage if it didn't have a sword ... that way one could assume that all he did was cast magic.

It varies depending on what final fantasy you're talking about, but red mages pretty much always used rapiers/light swords so the unit I think is good with them.

Shqype said:

I edited the first post to include a swordless version of this skin. It looks a little funny during battles, because it seems like the Red Mage is brawling with his bare fists. :lol: But some people might enjoy it.

Ih8backstabbers said:
Soo... what is the last era of magic?

The magic techs are going to stretch through all the eras a' la final fantasy. Including a new future era I intend to add.

Like I said though, my work is all in the very early stages. It's likely going to be months after the SDK is released that the mod will be ready.

Top Bottom