New Civilization: Vietnam (Vit Nam)

My very first mod! :king: :goodjob: After many hours of frustration and having to learn everything from the bottom up, I am very pleased with the final result and hope that the Civ community will find it enjoyable as well! There will be an update to this mod so be on the look out as it will come out soon!

vietnam.gif

CIVILIZATION: VIETNAM (Việt Nam)
LEADERS: Ho Chi Minh Traits: Organized, Philosophical.
View attachment hcm.bmp Favorite Civic: State Property

UNIQUE UNIT: VIET CONG (Replacement for infantry)
20 Strength 2 Movement Comes with Woodsman, Ambush promotion
Required Techs: Rifling, Communism

Very, very special thanks to Anima Croatorum and Srdjan for making such a beautiful unit and ending my exhausting search for a unit for the Vietnamese that I could live with!

(A note on the cities: I chose to use "Saigon" rather than the official "Ho Chi Minh City" because I felt that 1. This was the name most around the world are familiar with. 2. It has been called "Saigon" for the vast majority of its history and 3. Ho Chi Minh and every other Vietnamese leader I may include would have known HCMC as Saigon. I want to be clear that I meant no political statement by making Ho Chi Minh City as Saigon)

ADDITIONAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
1. Unique Diplomatic language for Ho Chi Minh :cool:
2. Fully cited Civilopedia with references for Ho Chi Minh, Viet Cong and Vietnamese Civilization
3. Should work in all languages. However, the Vietnamese-related material will be in English.
4. Simple "how to install mod" instructions included.

DOWNLOAD HERE: VIETNAM V1.25

My goal was to make this a high-quality mod. I am serious about pursuing this goal. To that aim, please do not hesitate to provide any comments/suggestions/feedback. They are all welcome! :goodjob:

ENJOY!

I plan on updating the mod in the near-future. Here is what I have already planned.

VIETNAM VERSION 1.5 TO INCLUDE:

-More Leaders
Possibilities include
Vo Nguyen Giap (famous military general, hero of Dien Bien Phu)
Con Truong Pham (commander of South Vietnamese forces)
Ancient Vietnamese leader?

- If the demand is there, I may have another Vietnam version that is geared more towards the ancient history of Vietnam with a new flag, new leaders, new units, etc but only if the demand is there.

- More Unique Diplomatic language for Ho Chi Minh

As always, your suggestions are most welcome! I am especially interested in hearing what people think about the Viet Cong unit - did I make it too powerful, too weak, or just right? I debated this for a long time and I think what I came up with is pretty good: the base strength for the Viet Cong is the same as the regular infantry but I gave it 2 free promotions, 20% withdrawal and +1 movement bonus.

AND I am interested in hearing about which leaders people like me to add! I am especially interested if anyone wants a pre-modern Vietnamese leader as I don't know much about that history of Vietnam but would be willing to check it out.

ON THE WISH LIST:
Authentic Vientamese sound! (This would be fantastic, but I would definitely need some help!)
3-D Leaderhead! (Ditto. Would love to have it, but would need help.)

Hey, thanks for this mod. I downloaded the Thailand one last night and I'll add this one tonight. I'm well on my way to populating an all Asian scenario.

As for the future, I believe there would be demand for a more ancient version of the Vietnam civ. Like most Americans I know Vietnam from its recent, communist, history but they had a long rich history before that.

Roger Bacon

Nice choice for a Civ. The Vietcong unit is an interesting one. I would have tried to work a new gameplay concept for it such as being able to conscript them from towns that you culturally influence / are occupied by opponents. This would be a big advantage but could be offset by an issue such as -25% defence on open terrain types such as grassland. If this unit could be conscripted from an occupied Vietnamese town it would reduce the % of Vietnamese left in that town but not the amount of non-Vietnamese. It would appear next to the town and could potentially take damage or start on low health (20% chance per unit stationed in occupied city).

Was it with archers that they defeated Genghis Khan? Perhaps they could have a jungle and forest bonus of 100% as well as more movement. This would make regular archers as good in defence as keshiks are in offence.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Appreciate it.

As for the ancient mod, I'll give it some thought. Does anyone have any ancient/pre-modern Vietnamese leaders they'd like to see?

@ Vietnamese Guy - Thanks for the tip about the archers! I'll keep it in mind.

@Senor Freebie - Interesting idea but I don't know if that's even possible and I'm not sure how I feel about concept either...maybe when SDK comes out. How do you find the Viet Cong unit right now? Too powerful/weak/just right?

@ Roger Bacon - Yea, I'm happy to see some Asian civs too! :D Singapore actually just came out so I'll have to try that one too.

One of the motivations for me in making this civ was that I highly doubt Firaxis would ever include Vietnam in one of their expansions. In fact on their poll it wasn't even on the list of nominated civs! So I'd personally rather focus my energies on civs/mods that are not very likely to be made rather than ones that are.

The Q-Meister said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Appreciate it.

As for the ancient mod, I'll give it some thought. Does anyone have any ancient/pre-modern Vietnamese leaders they'd like to see?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Vietnam#Dynastic_Period

plenty of leaders there, thanks to wikipedia.

Lý Công Uẩn should have a mention because he did start the "golden age" of ancient vietnam, as well as Trần Hưng Đạo for defeating the mongols.

Nice one, downloading it now. As for ancient leader, i 'd recommend the following:
-Sisters Trung Trac und Trung Nhi, led the surprising against the Hans in 40 A.D. After two years of fighting, the Trung sisters were defeated and committed suicide by drowning themselves
-Ngo Quyen: defeated the Southern Han at the famous battle in Bach Dang river and established the first dynasty in Vietnam in 938 A.D. The same tactic was successful used by Tran Hung Dao after about 300 years against the Mongols
-Tran Hung Dao: defeated Kublai Khan and Genghis Khan 3 times. But his most famous battle (also in Bach Dang river) was just a copy cat version of Ngo's
-Ly Thuong Kiet: attacked and razed some Chinese cities.
-Le Thanh Tong (Le the Saintly Emperor): Conquered Champa and Khmer kingdoms
-Emperor Quang Trung: the greatest vietnamese military strategist in my opinion. In his short reign, he managed to unite North and South Vietnam and defeated Siam's navy as well as 300.000 Chinese Qing troops in a blitz-krieg attack. He died at the age of 40 while preparing to conquer chinese provinces Guangdong and Guangxi, once vietnamese territories. He was the only one among the Viet to have dreamt of the conquest of China. He was also the only one capable of succeeding, for his military genius was unmatched. Here's an article about him: http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/crawdad/204/nguyenhue.html
-Vo Nguyen Giap: Hes still living in Hanoi at the age of 100(?). the only alive leader maybe

As for another UU, i recommend War Elephant (with Canon on its back, replacement for Cavalry) used by Quang Trung in the blitz-krieg attack metioned above
http://empires.world-of-strategy.com/china.php

Btw, i prefer a simple name for the leader, like Peter or Catherine. Could you change it to something like Uncle Ho?

I forgot to mention, I consider Uncle Ho the greatest leader of Vietnam. He was the mastermind behind defeating Japan, France, South Vietnam and the USA. It is also a great tragedy that he died of old age before he was able to see his country independent.

Also I don't mind your Viet Cong unit as it is. Works fine for me but the 30% upgrade with x2 movement in forest also seems more logical as 20% seems underpowered with units like 'cossacks' who are +3 strength and 50% vs. cavalry.

Well Done mate,

Some points:

Viet Cong is used for Guerilla Unit (Du Kick) operated in the south of the 47' line during the VN war. For the conventional North VN army , its name was Liberation Army(Quan Giai Phong) , or People Army (Quan Doi Nhan Dan), like many other communism regime and countries.

For Pre Modern leaders:

King Ham Nghi or King Duy Tan: Those two king tried to overthrown the french colonization and to run Meiji-like political reforms, unfortunately, they failed badly.

Phan Boi CHau : founder of Dong Du movement

For Archer unit:

i dont think VN archer unit was famous. VN have Crossbowman instead of Archer (See An Duong Vuong legend)

and bravo for the War elephant Unit.

For the sound :

Which kind of sound do you like ? i can find some .wav and .mp3

vietnamese armies from ancient to modern mainly comprise of foot soldiers, extremely well trained in guerilla warfare... one things for certain the unit we decide has to incorporate those characteristics

Do you need the Vietnamese national anthem?

Also, what color is the vietnamese civ and what does the VC infantry look like?

Leif said:
Do you need the Vietnamese national anthem?

Also, what color is the vietnamese civ and what does the VC infantry look like?

No I don't need the Vietnamese national anthem, just "war sounds" for their units similar to the sounds that other military units make from other civs. (EDIT: Actually if you could find an MP3 version of the Vietnamese national anthem I could maybe use that as their diplomacy music, never though of that before, but it actually might work!)

The default color of the Vietnamese Civ is red; their flag used is the flag posted on this thread. (The modern flag of Vietnam)

I am especially proud of the Vietnamese UU as it took me forever to find one! You can try going to the Yugoslavia thread as they were the folks who created the unit that I am currently using, or , better yet you can download the Vietnam civ and see for yourself! :D

@ Modern Tank: Thanks for the advice and for the list of leaders; I'll definitely look into it! For the sound, I Civ IV (EDIT: The unit-specific sound for Civ is WAV. The Diplomacy-sound is MP3.) . If you could find authentic Vietnamese sounds that could be used for their military units it would be greatly appreciated! :goodjob:

As for the ancient Vietnamese UU, there seems to be a bit of a disagreement about that. Some say War Elephant others say Archers, hopefully we can come to an agreement about it.

@ Koelle: Thank you too for the leader nominations and descriptions! Glad you are enjoying the mod. I am most likely going to include Vo Nguyen Giap in an updated version of this current mod while making plans to make an entirely different "Ancient Vietnamese Civ" for those who wish to play that.

On shortening Ho Chi Minh's name for gameplay purposes, well I honestly never thought of that one but you could actually easily change that yourself by going into the gametext file. If you like, I could change it for you and then post it here or email it to you to download.

VC Unit is weak, i changed their strenght to 24 equals to Navy Seals (lol bit exaggerated) .

bugs report :

the VN flag did not appeared , all i see is a white flag....which is quite annoying.

i cant see the special diplomatic line of VN

and also i will try to record some command in VNese with my own voice :) (Yes sir , No sir, Attack, Awaiting for order and stuff like that)

ModernTank said:
VC Unit is weak, i changed their strenght to 24 equals to Navy Seals (lol bit exaggerated) .

bugs report :

the VN flag did not appeared , all i see is a white flag....which is quite annoying.

i cant see the special diplomatic line of VN

and also i will try to record some command in VNese with my own voice :) (Yes sir , No sir, Attack, Awaiting for order and stuff like that)

Hmmm... interesting, it seems to work all right on mine. Is anyone else having these problems?

Also, is your Civ updated to the new patch, 1.52? Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am using the latest patch in making this mod. Well thanks anyway for making the sound and I am definitely curious if anyone else sees a white flag or if they see the actual Vietnamese flag as I do.

altus said:
Forgive my ignorance, but who's this guy ? :confused:

No problem! And it's actually no ignorance at all! Con Troung Pham was one of the commanders of the forces of South Vietnam. Special Forces of South Vietnam to be precise.

ModernTank said:

Thanks for the input. I had tinkered with increasing the base strength of the VC but then I thought that I would make him too powerful considering the 2 free promotions, +1 movement and withdrawal. I also wanted to demonstrate that their strength was not so much its ability to overpower other units but rather its ability to outlast and outmaneuver them. I will definitely look into increasing the base strength of the VC by 1 or 2 though I don't think I can go as high as 24! :eek:

Top Bottom