V1 - Not Afraid Of Mansa

vovan

Warlord
So I get the impression from reading some posts that people generally fear Financial AIs (or at least treat them with caution) and like to curb their expansion before they get a chance to run away with the tech race. So I'm thinking it would be cool to play a game against all financial civs and see how we fare. :)

Leader: Some non-financial civ. Up for discussion.
Opponents: All Financial civs.
Map: Standard Continents or Pangeia.
Difficulty: Prince or Monarch
Victory: Space Race :thumbsup: (I guess we could make conquest / domination an option also if people so desire).

Roster:
1. Vovan
2. Rem
3. Firgeis
4. T. Raccoon
5. Bede
6. IceLion

Vovan

You know I'm in on this one. Maybe play with Cyrus - Exp/Cre. I have been wanting to try a game on Monarch myself... just to see how badly I can get beat... heh. Put me in at the bottom of the roster, I'm in the middle of changing jobs and want to be sure that I'm in the clear on that first.

I'd be willing to give it a go, but I'm just getting into my first prince games, so if you want people that are more experienced, don't bother cosidering me.

He he well ill be up for it, been playing in Prince lately and destroying the opposition even while being prone to serious backstabbing. (Hit list: Louis XIV, Roosevelt, Saladin)

I'll take the shilling at Monarch with all victory conditions on. Who's afraid of Daddy Warbucks?

A nation with a solid early Industrial UU would be nice or one of the American leaders (been wanting to try out those SEALS).

Wow, this game filled up quickly. :)

IceLion, alrightie, just keep watch on this thread, so you can let us know if you need a skip or whatever. :)

Rem, I can't say I'm an expert myself, so you are welcome to join in. ;)

Firgeis, good stuff. :thumbsup:

Raccoon, sure will, don't see why not. :cool:

Bede, well, Washington will be taken by one of the AIs. But I suppose we could play, like, Roosevelt. Think SEALs v SEALs. :crazyeye:

I am leaning towards Napoleon, however. :)

Vovan

Alright, so I have started the game. We are Napoleon, the Monarch of France. Our opponents are all the financial civs in the game, except for Vicky. The setup is as follows:

And here is our starting location:

Looks decent, with fresh water and some food. :)

I will be playing the first set of turns tomorrow, so until then, if somebody wants to discuss the first settlement, feel free. :)

And this reminds me. The playing procedures will be the normal 24 hours got it / 48 to play. I figure the first two people in the roster (me and Rem) will play 20 turns each, then for the rest of the round it will be 15 turns apiece, and then we revert to 10 turns per player.

Enjoy.

I suggest we settle in place. When i first saw the screenie i thought move the settler one tile SW but then we lose those hills for production and wines won't be hooked up until monarchy which is quite a long way. We also pick up a desert tile, or at least it looks like a desert tile.

We should move the warrior one tile NW though just to see if theres another resource or something up there that we could use. I usually like to settle in place though. BTW why is New Random Seed on Reload on?

Raccoon, on the topic of the random seed. The reason I enabled that option is to discourage people from playing through their turns once, then reloading and playing again. This way, things like outcomes of battles would be different and hence they value of replaying is diminished.

[0] 4000BC - Moving the warrior one tile NW reveals that there is a cows resource within the fat cross of the starting settler location. So, I decide to found Paris on place. Work in the city starts on a warrior, and I set research to Hunting.

[5] 3800BC - The borders of Paris expand.

[6] 3760BC - We get Hunting. Start research of Mining.

[8] 3680BC - We pop a hut, and ... :eek:

[9] 3640BC - Our warrior is killed by the barbs. Paris grows.

[10] 3600BC - A warrior is built in Paris. Seeing how we know now there are barbs running around, I think it would be wise to build another one now. :)

[14] 3440BC - We get Mining. Work starts on archery, so we can defend from those barbs.

[17] 3320BC - Paris grows and builds a warrior. I think it might be time for a scout now, as there are two huts right by our city, and I don't want to pop any more barbs out of them. :)

[19] 3240BC - Ugh. Our warrior on a hill is killed by a barb warrior. :(

Well, I didn't explore much, and I got us to a terrible military start: Barbs 2 - Us 0. But we should be getting archery next turn, and then should probably go bronze working. Also, the scout will be built in two turns, and can then pop the two huts next to Paris, and hopefully get us something nice. Also, there is coast visible to the north and to the east of Paris, so I didn't go exploring much in those directions yet, especially north, since there is some tundra up there, and I reckon we are somewhere towards the north of our continent.

Got it. Will play tonight.

Turn 1- Archery in -> Bronze working due in 15

Turn 2- Scout -> archer Send scout to go pop huts

Turn 3- Nothing

Turn 4- Scout pops hut to NE, gives us pottery

Turn 5- Scout to S hut

Turn 6- Nothing

IBT- Scout defeats lions, 0.3/1 str.

Turn 7- Scout pops S hut, we get another scout.

IBT- Scout from hut gets attacked by barbs, dies.

Turn 8- Nothing

Turn 9- Paris Archer -> Archer

Turn 10- Nothing

Turn 11- Scout set to heal.

Turn 12-14: Nothing

Turn 15- Bronze working -> Animal Husbandry, due in 11
Paris Archer -> Worker. We have bronze in Paris! I don't switch to Slavery at the moment.

Turn 16- Nothing

Turns 17-19: Exploring

Turn 20- Pop a hut with scout, we get a warrior.

Summary: Paris builds a worker in 3, we get Animal Husbandry in 6 and we spot a barb Archer NE of Paris.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 228
Ok played my turns, unfortunately i dont have a turn by turn recap because my computer did a BSOD and lost the TXT i was doing :(. Ok so it will be more a general recap with some screenshots.

Ok I planned to plop the city below the oasis, it will allow us to get the stone, and will be a nifty production city.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=380567

So I ended the worker, ordered a settler and sent it on his way

Our warrior that was with the scout lost in a hill to a warrior :cry: , we are having TOUGH luck with barbarians!!

Also Herodotus inform us that our military is far behind,
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=380570

Discovered Animal husbandry, almost got masonry to build the quarries.

So at the end, we find our first enemy, Catherine, wich is ahead of us for more than 100 points! this does not look good!.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=380571

Seeing at the scouting territory we see we got lucky with the resources, we got stone, marble, horses, ivory and copper! There will be no excuse to get any and every wonder (being industrious) . We started with the left foot but I think we can get back on our feet

PD: After posting I noticed the little nifty imageshack image uploader! i will make next use of it next time! :goodjob:

Pre turn- The archer near the settler had a movement point so I move him towards the next city location. Paris was set to build a barracks so I switch it to build another worker. Why do we not have roads?

1800BC Turn 1: I was wondering why the improvements in our capital city looked so bad and I realized that automate worker is turned on. I sent him to pasture and later road the cows.

1760BC Turn 2: As the settler approaches his destination I find a better spot where it could snag 4 resources instead of three but we miss out on the stone. Usually I wouldn’t make one city have so many resources because then that means another city will be deprived of any but those desert tiles (4 of them) will limit this cities potential but with 4 resources in it’s radius it will contribute quickly to the empire. Masonry finished switch research to mysticism we need the extra culture expansion and obelisks are cheap it will take six turns.

1720BC Turn 3: Orleans is settled on top of a hill and can pump out an archer in nine turns using an unimproved bronze tile so im going to try and get a sentinel net out and keep that fog back.

1680BC Turn 4: We meet Qin Shi Huang of the Chinese and it turns out they founded Buddhism. Worker is finished in Paris set to train a warrior in one turn. Worker is sent to build roads (we’re really lacking in them)

1640BC Turn 5: Warrior trained send him to bust some fog East of Paris set to build another settler.

1600BC Turn 6: zzzzzZzzzzzzZzzzzz

1560BC Turn 7: Barb archer appears close to our next city cite and seeing how much bad luck we’ve been having against barbs im not getting a good feeling about it.

1520BC Turn 8: Crap I thought the barb retreated and now I ended up right next to it im just gonna have to hope for the best. Worker are finally starting to build cottages in the capital we really need more science. I suggest we build coastal cities next to get our economy going again. Oh and it looks like the Chinese have been cornered in the southern pole or something.

1480BC Turn 9: Yes!!!! our archer defeats a barb archer but is now being threatened by a warrior so I promote the archer and send him on top of the hill.

1440BC Turn 10: Nothing important worker finished road and Mysticism is due next turn.

1400 BC Turn 11: Mysticism learned research is put into Writing. Settler due next turn.

1360 BC Turn 12: Settler built and Archer was built in Orleans. Sent settler off to find a new city sent archer on fog busting duty.

1320BC Turn 13: Barb warrior closing in on my promoted Guerilla I archer on top of a hill.

1280BC Turn 14: DAMN!! Barb warrior bypasses our archer (that was smart) and our settler is closing in on that location. I have to attack the Barb warrior out in the open I have an 83.7% chance so Im gonna take the risk.

And I win!!!

1240BC Turn 15: Settler reaches it’s destination with our newly promoted Guerilla II archer. I don’t settle just yet ill let the next person do that pre-turn we need to get some feedback on the city location first before anyone does anything. Paris is set building archers because we need sentinel nets fast before we start getting into some barb problems . Orleans’ bronze tile is being improved so it’s production should rise even higher making the archer sentinel nets come out faster I’ve already started the net it’s up to the next person to finish or keep building on it.

I really don’t like the city location only because it’s one tile from the coast but if I move it to the coast we lose the stone resource and with it we can build the Pyramids in about 12 turns.

Paris is also got a crapload of forests around it so I suggest we use the chops towards the Pyramids or settlers.

Our economy, I think, can support one more city, it might bring our economy down to 80% or 70% but we definitely need more cities pronto. To help cure our economy I suggest a fishing village next so we’re going to have to get off writing and research fishing and sailing soon. The sooner we can get that coastal village up and running though the sooner it will contribute to the empire, we’re going to need a lighthouse in that city and it’ll be working all the coastal tiles first, our research rate sucks at this point so we NEED coastal cities.

I just realized that Russia and China are both of different religions so this could get a little interesting.

I see it, I got it, play it tomorrow.

On the western settler issue I would move him back from the coast. There will be lots of rgrassland cottages to work instead of coastal fields and the stone hill will be usable as well, I think. Cottages will grow commerce while coastal fields will not. There will also be some nice hills in the neighborhhood.

This is strange I didnt leave that worker automated, I think this game is playing tricks on us :crazyeye:.

Well we are coming along nicely but I think it was a mistake to put Orleans there , we wont have any farms going and we dont have fresh water :(

The city to the west is ok as well as the farming village, with our resources and being ind we can get the Colossus no prob

Top Bottom