CTIV-7: King George the First

ChrTh

Happy Yule!
Difficulty: Monarch
Leader: George Washington (Financial & Organized, Starting Techs: Fishing &
Agriculture)
Landmass: Pangaea or Continents (group choice)
Size: Standard
Terrain/Climate: Random

Variant Rules: Our goal is Diplomatic Victory, but if that is unattainable, so be it. Just win.

Roster
ChrTh
Bede
Methos
Scowler
Maquis
Conroe

Roster full. Lurkers welcome as always.

Team, please sign in and subscribe. Also post your thoughts on Pangaea vs Continents. While Pangaea will give us earlier contact and thus earlier opportunities to flex our diplomatic muscle, it may also lead to earlier warfare if we're all stuffed together.

If we're going for a diplomatic victory, I'd say continents. If we're on a Pangea, meeting everyone early leads to too many "stop trading with our worst enemy" and "you decalred war on our friend" diplomatic headaches.

On continents, we can really work on relations on our own contient first, and then mid-game we meet the other AIs and will have an idea how they relate with each other, and can pick our friends more carefully.

Our roster is complete now, I also added to the description that this will be a Standard Map.

So far we have 1 vote for Continents. If we reach a consensus, I'll post the starting position tonight.

Signing in. Maquis' reasoning for continents seems sensible.

Signing in.

I believe Pangaea would probably be in our best interest. We'd start out knowing everyone real early and would have a better chance of figuring out who are friends and enemies are. Even in a diplomatic game war is still inevitable.

With continents you start off knowing very few AI's, sometimes none, and won't meet anyone else until well into the game. Yes, we can really work hard on any AI's on our continent, but IMO to truly work on our diplomatic skills we should have as many contacts as possible as early as possible.

So far, I'm still looking, the only article I've seen that really looks interesting is polypheus's Triangle Diplomacy. I have yet to try and implement it, so don't know how well it works.

Since I play most games on continents, a Pan map would make an interesting change. Also take a look at RB9, that was a Twisted Axis map and provided very interesting diplomatic options.

So we uh got 2 votes for Continents and 2 votes for Pangaea. Conroe, I think you'll need to be the tiebreaker :crazyeye:

(I'll be selling "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Pangaea/Continents" bumper stickers later)

Darn, how you fill roster that fast? I am looking for interesting game to join and this one got created and filled in 1 hour when I was not looking.

Mutineer said:
Darn, how you fill roster that fast? I am looking for interesting game to join and this one got created and filled in 1 hour when I was not looking.

This roster was pre-filled except for one slot, so don't feel bad. :) Have you subscribed to the registration thread?

ChrTh said:
So we uh got 2 votes for Continents and 2 votes for Pangaea. Conroe, I think you'll need to be the tiebreaker :crazyeye:
Oh, not good at all. The one who doesn't have a preference gets to cast the tiebreaking vote! :lol: I guess this means a coin toss is in order. :mischief:

Well, I think Maquis makes a good point about a continents map. However, it is quite possible to end up on a continent all by our lonesome on this type of map. In fact, this happened to us in Meth01. For that reason alone, I will vote pangaea.

We could also do a tilted axis map as Bede suggested. According to the documentation, it has a random option. Although, it loooks like random has a 50% chance that it will be some type of archipelago map. Not sure if that is something that you want to consider.

ChrTh said:
(I'll be selling "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Pangaea/Continents" bumper stickers later)
Yea, it's going to be a blame Conroe kind of thing, isn't it?

I'll stick with the normal map for this one, I tried the tilted axis once and it hurt my brain too much :crazyeye:

And don't worry, Conroe, you'll only get 1/3rd the blame :mischief:

Pangaea it is. I'll roll up and post a starting position later.

Starting position:

Healthy start. Looks like we may be in the NW corner of the landmass ...

Roster
ChrTh -- UP (20 turns)
Bede -- On Deck
Methos
Scowler
Maquis
Conroe

Stupid question: Are we better off popping the hut with the warrior or the city build, or would it make no difference?

city pops are the same as scout pops
Interesting, I didn't know that.

In that case, I'd say we settle in place, and then move the warrior later. Looks like we'll have sheep, corn, and fish in our borders, and 6? forests... and we'll be coastal. Seems nice to me.

Top Bottom