CS-2 - The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire

chriseay

The Master Trader
Difficulty: Prince
Map: Earth Map
Size: Huge
Civilization: England
Leader: Victoria FIN and EXP
Victory Conditions: Just Win, after completing variant task (see below).

This is a game using the earth map that ships with the game, but using a modified number of civs to include all the old world civs. When I get home later today, I'll figure out the exact number. Basically, I'm going to be taking Rhye's Earth map, with 18 civs (Huge) and removing the americans.

There is one variant rule: At any 1 point during the game, we must have a globe spanning empire. It could only last one turn, or it could be permanent. How we will decide if we've accomplished this task is up to the team, but I think just a look at the save and a consensus will do. Check here and here for some interesting info on the subject. Other than that we can win any way we wish.

10 turns each, with a possibility of going down to 5 at some point as huge maps can get very cumbersome. Please make sure you can handle a huge map before you sign up.

Roster:
chriseay
Gaspar~
Eggs
shinku
senwiz

EDIT: Fixed the links above. Sorry about that.

Umm... I would be interested. I have never done one of these before, and am very new to the game. I have played Civ3, but never really won. :(

So... If you need/want/desire a punching bag, err newbie, let me know.

I'm interested too, if you think you can take another newbie :p. I did read around here quite a bit so I think I should be ok at least in the early game. Not sure about the rest though. At least I understand the game principles and I'm hoping logical reasoning will help me with the rest :crazyeye:.

I understand if you think you'll have enough steering to do already of course :).

Eggs said:
I'm interested too, if you think you can take another newbie :p. I did read around here quite a bit so I think I should be ok at least in the early game. Not sure about the rest though. At least I understand the game principles and I'm hoping logical reasoning will help me with the rest :crazyeye:.

I understand if you think you'll have enough steering to do already of course :).

Ahh, why not! :crazyeye: I'll put you on the roster too. We'll be starting as soon as I'm sure we have enough players.

Gaspar~ said:
I'd be interested, interesting to see how we'll define sun never setting though.

Ok, you're in. I'm thinking when someone thinks we're to the point where the sun doesn't set, they post the save to the forum and we all take a look at it. If the majority of us agree, then that's that. I've been trying to figure out how the circumnavigation bonus works, and if that could be utilized for this purpose, but I can't even find it anywhere. It's apparently beyond my small modding skills.

In other news, a question for the team. I am thinking about making some civs what are called minor nations. Basically this means, if I understand it correctly, that they are full fledged civs but the major nations cannot conduct diplomacy with them. Us, and other major nations, would treat them like barbarians. Check out the Greek World scenario shipped with the game to see how this plays out. Doing this, to say the Americans would probably make the game more difficult than just having barbarians there. I can't decide how many and who I would make minor nations though. Any thoughts on this from anyone? Who, and why (or why not)?

We'll hopefully get one more person, but I'll start the game tonight no matter.

shinku said:
I would be interested in joining. The perspective of having a worldwide British Empire somewhat pushed me to delurk :p

Considering the minor civs, well, that could make a change, and reduce the size of the score list at the right-hand of the screen :)

Ok! You're in shinku. We'll start it tonight, with the roster at the top. I'm still undecided on the minor civ thing. If anybody else (team or lurker) has any comments, let me know.

I decided to get rid of all the american civs. I think this is the best way to make the game work. Also, no minor nations. Anyway, here we are.

Turn 1 - Found London on the spot. Start research on Agriculture, as we want to get to Animal Husbandry for those cows. Start production on a workboat.

Turn 4 - Pop a hut for 68 gold.

Turn 10 - Ag in, on to AH. Buddhism is founded in a distant land. Here is the lay of the land we can settle before galleys.

Some thoughts:
- I'm building a workboat, but we don't control the seafood tile. We might wait on that one.
- Masonry might be a good tech to get, there is that stone there.

I see it, I'll probably get to it tomorrow. Any chance you want to do 20-20 for the first couple sets? Some of the players had some concerns about seeing it going before playing, and the early turns are big decisions and a whole lot of mashing enter. I'm cool either way, just figured I'd throw it out there.

Off we go :).

I wouldn't mind at all if the 2 of you would do 20 turns each, and if you would explain why you did things (that aren't completely obvious) and what our future plans are :p. I really don't want to mess things up in my first couple of turns :blush:.

I think we could use the workboat to scout out ireland or perhaps Scandinavia, before we put it on 1 of the sea resources we'll likely have in our second city? It will take a while before it's finished though, perhaps it's a good idea to squeeze in a worker somewhere. If we put the warrior on the sheep, barbs won't get the chance to trouble our minds for now I believe? I assume Louis won't be going to attack us this quickly? My point: we don't need another warrior atm?

Would it be a good idea to cottage the wheat? We have lots of food and little room for cottages.

Do we want to get the parthenon or pyramids?

I think the placement of a #2 city would depend on what ireland looks like. Cities east of the scottish sheep, north of the irish sheep and west of the stone would seem to fill a lot of room. The last one has a horrible lot of overlap with london but still the crab and the fresh water hill and grassland, and a bunch of financial coastal tiles :). It would also be easy to start up with help of the cows and stone. There are quite a few possibilities though, this is just my first thought :crazyeye:. We could just put 1 city south of the scottish sheep and move elsewhere. I've never played this map, you all probably know better what our options are.

What are we going to do about Louis' culture? I'm not sure how quickly he will be pushing us back.

Ok I probably said lots of obvious stuff that you'd all long thought about and decided on but hey, I'm a newbie and we have to start somewhere :king:.

Gaspar~ said:
I see it, I'll probably get to it tomorrow. Any chance you want to do 20-20 for the first couple sets? Some of the players had some concerns about seeing it going before playing, and the early turns are big decisions and a whole lot of mashing enter. I'm cool either way, just figured I'd throw it out there.

You guys can surely play 20. I only played 10 because I played two other sg's tonight. It's totally up to the players this round on how many you play. After that we'll go 10 until it gets slow and cumbersome, and then it'll be discretionary again. On a map this large a few turns of war can take a long time.

Eggs, I have some stuff to comment on from your post, but I'm tired. I'll do it tomorrow morning at work. Sorry to put you off, I hope you can forgive me! :p

wait, did you START RIGHT NEXT TO FRANCE? 0.0

Dude I can't wait to see how you handle that

Yep, the competition will be severe. I assume we can squeeze about five cities here and there in ours United Kingdoms, so if we want to bring the British Culture along the globe, we better get started soon enough !

The Channel will greatly hinder the counterattacks from Louis, which is a good thing.

Also, do we aim for a religion ? Seeing how Louis seems to get one of the Hydra in every of my games he is in, it might not be necessary. Plus, the French territory will be a good operation base for the World Assimilation.

And, since it's on Huge, the maintenance costs will be rather high, so we might want to grab Stonehenge as to pop a Great Prophet and build a Holy Shrine of the religion we conquered.
But as a financial civ, cottages could suffice.

Anyway, hope we have some copper/iron :)

AyanamiRei said:
wait, did you START RIGHT NEXT TO FRANCE? 0.0

Dude I can't wait to see how you handle that

Of course we did! England is next to France, isn't it? :p It will be tough, we'll probably have to take out Louis as soon as we can.

On religion, I'm undecided. I figured no, because our chances are limited by not having mysticism to start. That plan could be changed as we can probably get Judaism still if we want to. This is Prince, so they don't fall too too fast. Also, Masonry is a prereq, so we'll be able to quarry that stone and think about stonehenge or pyramids.

Definitely conquering our holy city (if we don't found the religion) is a good idea. We might also want to try for Colossus. As a financial civ that will have lots of water plots...assuming that will be the easier way to conquer most of the world...it could be a major help.

That workboat I started, without thinking about the fact that Louis is creative (sorry guys :blush: ) can be used for scouting. Scandanavia is a good place for us to expand to as a matter of fact, because no one starts too near there. If we are quick enough we can get a couple of cities up there. I think though for now switching to a worker is a smarter move. I think we have grown to size two by now.

We're going to have to fit 3 or even 4 cities in Britain, and then if possible 2 in Ireland. I don't remember how big it is from other times I have played this map. I think Scandanavia has to be a priority just to give ourselves some room. That and beating on Louis. I like the idea of getting one more city on the island, then moving onto the continent with a couple few in the north, and then hopefully having iron and swords to take on Louis. I can't see him having more than 3 cities, possibly only 2, as the continent is quite crowded on this map. This all is, of course, if things work exactly as planned.

On cottaging food....I don't like to do it. It might be an option here, though I'd rather just move onto somewhere else where can cottage and use the resources. We'll then have them for their health/happiness benefits and to trade.

I'll work up a dotmap now and post it in a couple of minutes. If anyone else wants to try their hand, please do! Also, Eggs if you want to move further down in the list or want me to play another ten before you play, that's ok. Let me know.

Ok, here's what I think we have for a dotmap. I can't remember the spacing for cities though, I think it is two spaces between and you can build on the third? I sure hope so. Otherwise it will be two cities on this island. I know there are a lot of shared tiles in this dot map, but this way we make use of all of our limited land.

Yes, it's 2 tiles minimum between cities. I like the looks of it, so far. I like the starting spot, and Louis shouldn't be much of an issue if we beat his butt down now. LOL

Remember your history here, France and Britain were at each others throats for a LONG time. And now....We get to see why. Of course, France is just a punk anyways. LOL ;)

If you guys wanna play 20 turns, I'm cool with that. That way we get a good start and I get to see what the plan is. :)

senwiz said:
Yes, it's 2 tiles minimum between cities. I like the looks of it, so far. I like the starting spot, and Louis shouldn't be much of an issue if we beat his butt down now. LOL

Remember your history here, France and Britain were at each others throats for a LONG time. And now....We get to see why. Of course, France is just a punk anyways. LOL ;)

If you guys wanna play 20 turns, I'm cool with that. That way we get a good start and I get to see what the plan is. :)

Good point on the history. That is in fact what made me want to play a game like this. We were talking about colonialism/imperialism in a class I am taking currently and I immediately thought that would be a fun civ idea! :eek:

I'm willing to take another 10 turns, or we can just go to Gaspar. If you haven't played by the time I get home from work (does it look like I'm working?) then I'll play another 10. It doesn't matter to me either way.

Top Bottom