Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Creation & Customization

Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Rhye
Яhye

Rhye's Catapult

We have moved here

Last edited by Rhye; Jul 11, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Rhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Rhye
Яhye

Reserved

Riservato

Reservado

Réservé

Reserviert

保留

Gereserveerd

Зарезервировано

予約

보류하는

שמור

Last edited by Rhye; Jul 11, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Rhye
Яhye

Reserved

Riservato

Reservado

Réservé

Reserviert

保留

Gereserveerd

Зарезервировано

予約

보류하는

שמור

Last edited by Rhye; Mar 19, 2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Blasphemous
Graulich

Reserveder!
Even reserveder!
Reservedest!
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization - mod by Rhye (and co) | My kind of school | Get Firefox! | Ubuntu, Linux for humans | I'm a (-3.75,-8.15), what are you? | Save the world, one CPU cycle at a time |Black CFC is beautiful!
Blasphemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Nooble
Warlord

Reserved

Reserved
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Kael
Deity

[ removed ]

Last edited by Kael; May 08, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
Kael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Red Door
Man of Mayhem

Yay, I loved the first mod for Civ 3. Your mod inspired me to make Age of Civilizations.
Red Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Blasphemous
Graulich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooble
Reserved

Reserved
Nooble, Rhye and I reserved posts for actual information about the project, would you kindly edit your post so as not to confuse people?
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization - mod by Rhye (and co) | My kind of school | Get Firefox! | Ubuntu, Linux for humans | I'm a (-3.75,-8.15), what are you? | Save the world, one CPU cycle at a time |Black CFC is beautiful!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:41 PM   #9
Tyrion
Hmmm.....

All Hail Rhye Lord of Civilisation.

Well at least historical world map civ. I've been waiting for this as have im sure many others. Any way i can help i will (graphics and such arent my things, i can research though and such).

It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English -- up to fifty words used in correct context -- no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese.
- Carl Sagan
Tyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:04 PM   #10
Gunner
Emperor

For some reason the announcement of the new expansion pack seems somewhat unimportant to me now

Expect me to lurk and offer commets as much as I can. I might be able to even help with development if you want me to.

How about Rhye's of Sweetness for a name?
Ok, maybe not

Development forum for Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, go check it out!: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

Last edited by Gunner; Mar 18, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:19 AM   #11
Rhye
Яhye

hey welcome back, we'll need some help!

EDIT: I've written the schedule in the 2nd post

Last edited by Rhye; Mar 19, 2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:59 AM   #12
Elhoim
ITS Lead Artist

I have a name!

Rhye´s of Civilization IV!!

Just joking... Anyway, I loved your mod for Civ III, in fact it was the only thing I played, and I´m eagerly waiting for this one... Thanks for everything!

Quote:
The biggest thing: python code for dynamic rise & fall of civs. In fact, you won't see 18 civs in the same time here. Never. Basically, Egypt, India, China, and if controlling a different civ, the human player's one, will start in 4000BC. The rest will be born later, in appropriate turns and with appropriate techs and starting units. There's also an algorithm for collapsing some civs in barbarian cities, in semi-random periods.
This is just great!

Tired of big frigates and small destroyers? Better Ship Scale - New Update! Basic Version for BTS! - More than 3500 downloads! Try it now!

Last edited by Elhoim; Mar 19, 2006 at 05:03 AM.
Elhoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:14 AM   #13
AndyTerry
Russian Bear

Rhye
Seems promising
But it's wrong forum.
Quote:
Reserved

Riservato

Reservado

Réservé

Reserviert
Add "Зарезервировано"
AndyTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:30 AM   #14
cider
Chieftain

sounds great !!!! i am a big fan of RoC for civ3... it's the best mod ever ! but this here... will be even a 100 times better
so work work now and don't let us wait too long
cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:19 AM   #15
Rhye
Яhye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTerry
Add "Зарезервировано"
added

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTerry
But it's wrong forum.
A playable version will soon be posted. So it doesn't make sense to move it when it's going to be moved back after a short while
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:20 AM   #16
Carmina
Chieftain

Soon like... some hours?
I'm very impatient to play your mod (especially for the birth of civilizations !)
Carmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:18 AM   #17
londoner
Chieftain

i can help, im not much of a modder however i have extensive web design skills and a vast knowledge of history. I played your previous mod for civ3, despite hardly posting i generally look at this site once every 3-4 days for the past 2 years!

so yeah, if u need that sort of help im here. I have some webspace and ill even get a domain as my contribution.

good luck! and i await for the day when i am able to play the mod!

pm me if your interested

Last edited by londoner; Mar 19, 2006 at 10:21 AM.
londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:01 AM   #18
Blasphemous
Graulich

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhye
nomadic (may move cities)
Just a little brainfart here - maybe instead of nomadic civs moving whole cities or tearing them down for a measly settler, they should get a whole new thing - a Nomad unit, which is both a limited worker (build forts, farms, cottages) and a settler-type unit that creates a limited city called Camp. It would basically be a city, but the name would be "Camp X" (Camp Jerusalem as opposed to Jerusalem, etc), growth would be slower (all camps would receive a few ), and it would be possible to pack up the camp and turn it back into a nomad. Every time a camp gains population past 3 pop a dialog would ask if the player wants to settle it as a city, and once it hits pop 6 or so it would turn into a city irreversibly.
Non-nomadic civs would receive a similar unit that the Nomad upgrades to later in the game, something along the lines of "Colonist", creating a downsized camp-style Colony city which could turn into a full city the same way as a Camp. The difference between Camps and Colonies would be that when Nomads go wandering they keep everything their Camp had (except maybe a lost pop point or two) and they might even get a strength rating based on the magnitude of the Camp, while Colonies that are disbanded would result in a fresh Colonist who can just start a basic Colony anew.
As usual, just a few ideas that popped up, wanted to make sure they're in print before I forget them. We'll be able to get back to them when we start developing the "expanded" version.

On a different matter all together, I'd like to propose codenames for the two Catapult projects.
The basic mod would be called "Trebuchet", and the expanded mod "Cannon" (or "Project Trebuchet" and "Project Cannon"). Fits the naming theme, I'd say. I just feel weird typing "expanded" and "basic" again and again. RoC and RoX were fine names to type over and over, but they were proper names. Let's get some for this project as well.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:57 AM   #19
Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
- The biggest thing: python code for dynamic rise & fall of civs. In fact, you won't see 18 civs in the same time here. Never. Basically, Egypt, India, China, and if controlling a different civ, the human player's one, will start in 4000BC. The rest will be born later, in appropriate turns and with appropriate techs and starting units. There's also an algorithm for collapsing some civs in barbarian cities, in semi-random periods.
Could you explain more in-depth how this is gonna work. I really like the idea in theory, but I think it'll take alot of thought and balancing to get it right. I assume that the human player's country won't be eliminated by an event at some point.

Quote:
- Naval movements a la RoC, with coast and ocean different values
This is great, naval movement in Civ really bugs me. One thing that I was thinking about earlier was to somehow have transports lose all of their movement points when they unload a land unit. I think something like that would really help to diminish the completely "hit and run" nature of naval landings as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Just a little brainfart here - maybe instead of nomadic civs moving whole cities or tearing them down for a measly settler, they should get a whole new thing - a Nomad unit, which is both a limited worker (build forts, farms, cottages) and a settler-type unit that creates a limited city called Camp. It would basically be a city, but the name would be "Camp X" (Camp Jerusalem as opposed to Jerusalem, etc), growth would be slower (all camps would receive a few ), and it would be possible to pack up the camp and turn it back into a nomad. Every time a camp gains population past 3 pop a dialog would ask if the player wants to settle it as a city, and once it hits pop 6 or so it would turn into a city irreversibly.
Non-nomadic civs would receive a similar unit that the Nomad upgrades to later in the game, something along the lines of "Colonist", creating a downsized camp-style Colony city which could turn into a full city the same way as a Camp. The difference between Camps and Colonies would be that when Nomads go wandering they keep everything their Camp had (except maybe a lost pop point or two) and they might even get a strength rating based on the magnitude of the Camp, while Colonies that are disbanded would result in a fresh Colonist who can just start a basic Colony anew.
As usual, just a few ideas that popped up, wanted to make sure they're in print before I forget them. We'll be able to get back to them when we start developing the "expanded" version.
Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but what would be the advantage of being able to move your cities around? Something like if you're about to be attacked? I definitely like the idea of cities progressing from like cities to colonies and stuff like that. So like if you wanted to found an overseas city it would first be a colony for a while until it reached a certain population or something.

Development forum for Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, go check it out!: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:27 PM   #20
Blasphemous
Graulich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner
Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but what would be the advantage of being able to move your cities around? Something like if you're about to be attacked? I definitely like the idea of cities progressing from like cities to colonies and stuff like that. So like if you wanted to found an overseas city it would first be a colony for a while until it reached a certain population or something.
Good question.
There are no obvious advantages to just moving cities as they are - except if Nomads are particularly cheap and say, you start with two Nomads instead of one Settler.
Besides that Camps (and Colonies) would have to have special advantages built into them. Maybe Camps would have only 10% of the normal upkeep and not count towards the number-of-cities-maintenance, while Colonies get -1 upkeep for every military unit fortified in them and +1 for every resource in their radius if they are coastal (or +1 for every 2 for every resource in radius). For Camps, another big bonus could be simply allowing them to be settled in Deserts and Tundra where I suspect we won't let Settlers settle.
I think our general outlook should be to create a new type of thing in the game, not a mobile version of the good 'ol city, but a whole new, albeit similar, type of thing.