Futuristic Combat Vehicle (4/1/06)

R

Rabbit, White

I decided to take a break from my usual stuff and made this - it's based on a screenshot from Battlefield 2142, I entitled it All-purpose Combat Vehicle (ACV).

There is known bug with team colors, details in post #19.

It's animated and comes in two flavors - regular and SAM-like (it's the one with the BIG rocket launcher :D). Here are couple of more shots.

Some technical stuff - the regular version uses mech. inf. animations, while the SAM version uses mobile SAM animations (the one in the Scenario folder). The guns, the rocket launchers and even the wheels are separate objects. This makes it a bit harder to "assemble" the units but on the other hand you can switch around the weapons and even add them to other units. Also, the units ended up with the regular version being a bit larger than the SAM version, so in case you want to make them both same size, keep that in mind.

(If you attach the wheel to the wheel bones of mobile sam they rotate although I couldn't align them right (and so left them as they are), same for the mobile SAM gun placement. If you can figure out a way to properly attach these two so that they behave nicely in game, let me know and post your findings and/or modified NIFs here.)

Let me know what you think of the textures, I made them pretty much from scratch with a few bits and pieces from other images.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Forgot the poly counts, here they are:
Chasis plus wheels - 464
Big machinegun - 47
Small machinegun - 64
Big rocket launcher (with base) - 104
Small rocket launcher - 47

Attachments

• acv.zip
    105.6 KB · Views: 968
Thanks guys. I posted the polygon counts in case you were curious.

Yep. Feel free to poke around the NIF files and see how it works. :)

Rabbit said:
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acvshot32av.jpg

(If you attach the wheel to the wheel bones of mobile sam they rotate although I couldn't align them right (and so left them as they are), same for the mobile SAM gun placement. If you can figure out a way to properly attach these two so that they behave nicely in game, let me know and post your findings and/or modified NIFs here.)

Very nice model ! Textures are great as well !
About amination, if you can send me max file i think i'l be able to fix rotating gun and wheels. i just ned to change something in pivot.

Nice. I don't do unit development, but I am curious about the "replaceable parts" thing. What? Also, can this be a base unit whose promotions give it its unit abilities? Say it starts off with a turrent like the Mech Inf, but a promotion gives it ability to cross water (coast, ocean, etc) or bombardment such as it could be an upgrade for the artillery units?

Fabulous ! Not very useful for my antic mod ^_^ But so pretty !

Thanks guys.

PrinceO'Persia said:
Nice. I don't do unit development, but I am curious about the "replaceable parts" thing. What?
This refers to the fact that certain parts of the units (in this case the weapons) are separate models, i.e. the unit is not just he vehicle but rather the chasis of the vehicle to which the machinegun and the rocket launcher are attached. This means that you could replace them with other weapons or take these weapons and put them on another vehicle. The detaching/attaching part is done using the NIF Viewer. If you're still lost check out the NIF viewer tutorial in my sig. :)

PrinceO'Persia said:
Also, can this be a base unit whose promotions give it its unit abilities? Say it starts off with a turrent like the Mech Inf, but a promotion gives it ability to cross water (coast, ocean, etc) or bombardment such as it could be an upgrade for the artillery units?
You can use this unit for anything since it's only the graphic. What you're talking about (if I understand correctly) is more of a python thing, which I'm not an expert at. :)

I just became aware of a bug with team colors. If this unit is stacked with other units of the same type, then selecting one of the units from the stack causes all units to loose team color and simply show red instead of it. I'm working on a solution (there is one but I'm having trouble implementing it :\) but just wanted to let you know that this applies to anything I did that "supports" team colors.

I see posted a lot of cool unit for Civ4. I'm not to sharpe about computers. How are these new units installed into the Civ4 program. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Top Bottom