Star Wars Model - Y-Wing (4/13/06)

Dual

Gun Mage
UPDATED (4/20/06):

I added team color support to all the yellow parts of the unit, including the droid.

OLD POST:This is the Rebel Y-Wing , a durable (but slow) bomber.

I used the original Stealth Bomber animations, so that is what should be used in the XML file. The polygon count is 1234.

I found some detailed pics of the Y-Wing model from the game Star Wars Galaxies, so I used those to texture parts of my model this time. And I think it turned out pretty good doing that. :)

Y-Wing1.jpg Y-Wing2.jpg

Attachments

• Y-WING_TEAMCOLOR.zip
    146.3 KB · Views: 348
Great model Dual :goodjob: although I expected something a bit different when I read the name "Y-wing" this seems more like an H-wing :D

Rabbit said:
Great model Dual :goodjob: although I expected something a bit different when I read the name "Y-wing" this seems more like an H-wing :D

It's always looked like that. :p LOL

Of course, to me the thing looks like it shouldn't fly, but....You can hurl a brick in space, and it will keep on moving, until something stops it. LMAO

I Love Star Wars, but....Rebels suck. LOL ;)

HOLY CRAP!
the rebels may actually provide me with a challenge:rolleyes:
Rebels suck

Rabbit said:

:lol: You'll really be scratching your head with the B-Wing I'm doing next. Even I can't figure out how they came up with that name for that one. It looks more like a flying plus sign than a B. ;)

Rabbit said:

You need to watch Star Wars more often:wallbash: HahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
HahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dual said:
:lol: You'll really be scratching your head with the B-Wing I'm doing next. Even I can't figure out how they came up with that name for that one. It looks more like a flying plus sign than a B. ;)

Yeah...How they figured a B out of that one...I'll NEVER know. But, I can't wait to see it. :)

Dual said:

Well if you fold up the wings, turn it so the cockpit is on the bottom and is facing to the right, it kind of looks like a lower-case b.

I remember reading once that the B stands for Blade, but I haven't been able to verify that from Wookieepedia or any official Lucasarts sources.

The model looks great but can you make the textures around the cockpit a little darker? :goodjob:

Glad people are enjoying it. :) The B-Wing will probably be ready after Easter is over.

Rabbit_Alex said:
The model looks great but can you make the textures around the cockpit a little darker? :goodjob:

You can make any part of the textures darker or lighter by editing the .dds file that goes with the unit.

hey Dual,

I edited your Xwing texture to make it blue and I renamed the files as fighter.nif and fighter_256.dds. I put them in a "fighter" folder in my custom assets folder. When I loaded the world builder to look at it, it still showed the default fighter model but it had the new texture on it. Shouldn't it have overriden the default texture and model with the Xwing's? The body of the plane was blue and thegrey parts of the texture on the propeller, it looked like a pinwheel. :lol:

How do you get the model/texture into the game so I can see my new texture?

Also, after I edited the texture I deleted your old minimaps and told GIMP to generate new ones, but the ones that it generated were blank (transparent). Why is that and could that be part of the problem?

Thanks

Rabbit_Alex said:
hey Dual,

I edited your Xwing texture to make it blue and I renamed the files as fighter.nif and fighter_256.dds. I put them in a "fighter" folder in my custom assets folder. When I loaded the world builder to look at it, it still showed the default fighter model but it had the new texture on it. Shouldn't it have overriden the default texture and model with the Xwing's? The body of the plane was blue and thegrey parts of the texture on the propeller, it looked like a pinwheel. :lol:

How do you get the model/texture into the game so I can see my new texture?

Also, after I edited the texture I deleted your old minimaps and told GIMP to generate new ones, but the ones that it generated were blank (transparent). Why is that and could that be part of the problem?

Thanks

It was probably getting the fighter model from the Fighter_Fx.nif file. But there's a better way to add the unit anyway.

Put the X-Wing.nif file and the X-Wing_256.dds file into their own folder (no need to rename them). And then, in the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml file, change the fighter's <NIF> and <SHADERNIF> tags to point to the new folder you created. Like this:

Code:
		<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_FIGHTER</Type>
			<fScale>0.5</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
			[B]<NIF>Art/Units/X-WING/X-WING.nif</NIF>[/B]
			[B]<KFM>Art/Units/JetFighter/JetFighter.kfm</KFM>[/B]
			[B]<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/X-WING/X-WING.nif</SHADERNIF>[/B]
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/FighterShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>0.75</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<iDamageStates>4</iDamageStates>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bSmoothMove>1</bSmoothMove>
			<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
			<PatrolSound>AS3D_UN_FIGHTER_PATROL</PatrolSound>
			<SelectionSound>AS3D_UN_FIGHTER_COMMAND_PATROL</SelectionSound>
			<ActionSound>AS3D_UN_FIGHTER_COMMAND_PATROL</ActionSound>
		</UnitArtInfo>

And notice that I pointed it towards the JetFighter animations in the <KFM> tag. Because those are the animations I used when I made the .nif file, so it will only be fully animated with those. You should be able to change the animations with the the nif SceneViewer program if you want though.

Doing it that way should replace the fighter plane with your blue X-wing. :)

And I'm not familiar with how GIMP works (I use DXTBmp and Photoshop 6), so I can't help ya there.

I assuming the GIMP generates minimaps the same way as Photoshop. I choose DXT3 compression and click the box to generate them. Since it's generating the mini-maps as blank, you can't see the texture unless you zoom in close. Notice how some parts of the ships are transparent.

Edit: Old screenshots removed.

I just tried editing the texture again and I forget how I did it :lol:

Dual, can you tell me how you made the good-looking textures (the red or blue parts)?

Top Bottom