Cannot mod to accept more than 18 civs???

Cappella

Chieftain
I was waiting for the sdk to be able to have more than 18 civs at the same time... I took a look and found this in the file CvDefinesh :

#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS 18

I changed it to 30, as a test, and compiled the dll, replaced my game dll with the compiled one... and no chance, can't get more than 18 civs :(

Anyone having more luck than me?

So exactly what does it do when you change it to 30? I looked at the code and there shouldn't be anything else that you need to change....

It does just nothing... exactly like before, like if that define sets the maximum value in the engine, but there is still another limit set in the exe...

Hmmm... wierd. Maybe Kael can help...

woodelf said:
But you can have 50 civs and the game selects a max of 18, yes?

Well, on the game setup screen I can't get any slot more than 18, that limit must be in the exe...

What is sad is that before when I asked the question, I was told to wait for the sdk... now it's there, and we still can't do it, it doesn't make sense.

But this doesn't mean that you can't programmatically add new civilizations to the game after the game has started right?

TheLopez said:
But this doesn't mean that you can't programmatically add new civilizations to the game after the game has started right?

So in turn 1 or 5 or whenever you could have the game dump in more civs, room permitting?

TheLopez said:

I dont think so. Unless your willing to kill a civ to free up the slot (this is the trick firaxis uses with animals and barbarians, they use the same civ slot but they kill all the animals before they introduce barbarians).

woodelf said:
So in turn 1 or 5 or whenever you could have the game dump in more civs, room permitting?
Yep, that's exactly what I am talking about, but it would take a change of the MAX_CIV_PLAYERS value in the SDK.

Kael said:
I dont think so. Unless your willing to kill a civ to free up the slot (this is the trick firaxis uses with animals and barbarians, they use the same civ slot but they kill all the animals before they introduce barbarians).
Well, that was before the SDK right?

I suspect that the limit is in the interface when you start the game but when the game is started and the MAX_CIV_PLAYERS is set to 50 lets say you should be able to programmatically add 32, (50-18), new civs in the game. If that is true then one of the mod components is still feasible... *looks around* ... bwahahahahaha :D

Rhye has mentioned there being a bug for the maximum number of civilizations in a game. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for Warlords if Firaxis wants to fix that.

TheLopez said:
I suspect that the limit is in the interface when you start the game but when the game is started and the MAX_CIV_PLAYERS is set to 50 lets say you should be able to programmatically add 32, (50-18), new civs in the game. If that is true then one of the mod components is still feasible... *looks around* ... bwahahahahaha :D

Its not a limit in the interface, its a limit in the exe.

:cry: Darn you Kael... now I will have to put aside my emerging civilization mod comp. :cry:

Top Bottom