Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Technical Support

Old Aug 04, 2006, 05:58 AM   #1
kalkas
Chieftain

Crashes when Gridlines ON

Game crashes when trying to set gridlines on after reloading a Civ4 Warlords game. Does anyone else experience this kind of problem?

Relevant specs about my system: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX, Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20 GHz, 2 GB RAM
kalkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
kalkas
Chieftain

Some more detail about the problem ...

Here are some more details about the problem with setting Gridlines ON. The problem occurs only when the game is loaded immediately after staring the Civ4 Warlords application. It does not occur when the game is loaded during the game play.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Bolkonski
Prince Bolkonsky

Crashes when toggling gridlines on

I am having a similar problem. My set up is an Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and 1GB RAM. I am fairly late in my first game so moves can take quite a long time. I have a navy so I need the gridlines often. I make sure that I save prior to toggling the gridlines on and it does not always crash. I will check to see if it only crashes when reloading the game from startup.

I changed the ini file so that an autosave occurs every move (instead of every four moves) just in case I forget to save in the heat of the moment!
Bolkonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2006, 04:28 PM   #4
kalkas
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolkonski
I changed the ini file so that an autosave occurs every move (instead of every four moves) just in case I forget to save in the heat of the moment!
Thanks for your reply. I would also like to have autosave at every turn. Where is the ini-file located?

Kalkas
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Bolkonski
Prince Bolkonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkas
Thanks for your reply. I would also like to have autosave at every turn. Where is the ini-file located?

Kalkas
The Civilization.ini file for Warlords should be located in My Documents\My Games\Warlords

Open the file in Notepad and search for the line:
;Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.

Change the number in the line below to the number of turns you want, i.e. 1

One small note, do not get confused with the Pitboss Autosave Interval. That is completely different.

You can also change the max number of autosaves so if you want you could keep 20 instead of the default 5, which would mean you could go back just as far as if the autosave interval were at the default 4.

I find in the earlier game that I often want to go back further than just five saves wheras in the late game, one turn is enough especially if the program has crashed.

Do not forget to backup the ini file before changing it just in case something goes wrong. I hope all this helps.
Bolkonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Iscaran
Chieftain

Hi there,

I have nearly the same problem. Civ 4 Warlords crashes to desktop whenever I try to put the gridlines on during the first turn after I reload a savegame. Sometimes it happens even during the second turn. It does not matter if I use ctrl+T or the button on the left bottom.

My system in short:

AMD Barton3000+
512 MB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Catalyst 6.7)
Mainboard MSI KT3 Ultra 2 (VIA chipset, Hyperion Pro driver version 4.55)
Onboard Audio (Realtek ALC650 with MSI driver version 5.10.0.6070 = Realtek driver a3.87)

I play with everything on lowest, AA etc. off, but have to keep my resolution of 1280x1024 due to my TFT monitor (it looks really really horrible using 1024x768).

If more details are needed, just ask .

I hope there is some solution to this, because it is getting me annoyed by now. Or that it is just a game bug and Firaxis will release a patch/fix for that soon.

Iscaran
Iscaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Volstag
Chairman of the Bored

This problem seems to occur almost all the time for me. 1GB RAM, 6800GT
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:17 PM   #8
guyjr
Chieftain

Yep, exact same problem for me, GF6800 Ultra w/256MB, Athlon 4000+, 2GB system RAM.

Ridiculous - cause I _never_ had so much as a flinch before installing Warlords.
guyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:06 AM   #9
Iscaran
Chieftain

I just found something, but as of now I am unsure what solved the problem for me (Because I did all things at once):

But all of you who have the same problem you might want to try the following things (try one by one) or if that didn't work altogether.

1) hold the "shift" key while starting civ4 warlods v1.61 (this will afaik cause the game to cache some data again which otherwise not be cached)
2) try to zoom-out to the globe-view (the one with the clouds) just before you hit ctrl+t or the "gridlines on"-button
3) Change the following settings in the civ4.ini (which is linked from the warlords folder) to the ones I give below:
SyncInput = 1
D3D9Query = 1

One of those things, or altogether solved my problem with the ctd after adding the gridlines directly in the turn after I reloaded a safe game.

Cheers everyone and good luck trying !

Iscaran
Iscaran is offline   Reply With Quote