CIV4 Warlords: East Asia 1625 Beta

HuaXiaEmpire01

Chieftain
Here comes my first Civ4 scenario/mod, because of my limited knowledge and patience about modification its not yet finished or fully tested, still I hope it could be enjoyable for some people to try it. (and help me to finish this project)
Btw, I am not really good with english so please dont be surprised if I make any(or many) mistakes.

Like the name says this is about east Asia in 1625, and the factions are:

China: Ming dynasty is about to face its end after nearly 300 years of ruling. Generations of mismanagement, corrupt rulers, natural disaters, internal rebellions and foreign invasions have weakened the empire, still its larger and stronger than any of the other nations in the region by far. Now its up to the last Ming ruler: Emperor Chong Zhen to save his dynasty, although it looks like Ming dynasty has lost the blessing of heaven, he is convinced to protect his heritage with his life.

Special unit: at northern Manchurian border, there are some "Iron rider" (experienced knights with many useful promotions), use them carefully as they are limited.

Chinese Rebellion Force: Led by Lord Li Zi Cheng, one of the most famous rebel warlord in the chinese history, the poor and oppressed people united together to create a new dynasty of their own. Although they have only one city/province at the beginning, its should not be difficult to spread their anger while imperial army are busy with Manchu invaders, the question is wherether they could replace the Ming dynasty with a new one before the foreigners fall into China.

Manchuria: Once under the rule of Ming China, the native tribes have been united and broken free from their weakening former rulers. Now its the time to finish the dream of their ancestors (Jurchen) to conquer China and beyond. Manchurian leader Huang Tai Ji has proclaimed himself emperor of the manchurian Qing dynasty and he is ready to show the world that he is the real "son of heaven".

Special unit: Around the capital city Shengjing there are eight "Banner rider" (experienced Keshik with almost all the promotions) being the leader of each army group, use them wisely.

Korea: Being an traditional ally and vassal of Ming China since beginning, the choson kingdom of Korea is convinced to assist the bigger confucian brother against the babarians, nevertheless Ming China have helped Korea in the Imjin war against Japanese invaders not too long ago, the problem is although victorius, both Korea and China have been weakened because of the war, now both have to face a new Manchurian threat without time to recover, a smaller and weaker Korea has much more to worry.

Japan: After the failed continental invasion and the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the Tokugawa shogunate has to keep the unity in Japan and help Japan to recover from the war, while having no real enemies at its door (or coast), there are northern barbarians who have not yet submitted to the rule of the shogun (and the emperor).

Mongolia: After being kicked out of China and the destruction of their former capital karakorum by the chinese Ming troops, disunity and natural disasters have prevented the children of the great Khan to rise up again. Now being newly defeated by the Manchurian force, mongolian tribes have no choice but to submit to the Qing empire.

Tibet: Once belonged to the Yuan dynasty of China created by Kubilai Khan, Tibet have gained much of its freedom back after the end of Mongolian rule in China, while being officially a vassal of Ming China, Tibet is actually more close to the Mongolians and Manchurians because of the religion and relatives. Now seizing the chance of the weakening Ming empire, Tibet has broken free from China and created their own theocratic state under the leadership of the holy Dalai Lama the Fifth. Ming court has no way but to accept this as they are about to face their end, but the question is will the new (or the old) ruler of China accept the independence of Tibet once things are settled?

Dai Viet: Being once conquered by Ming China, Vietnam have regained their freedom after they have pushed the weakening chinese troops back into China, their leader Le Loi has preclaimed himself "emperor "and the founder of the Le dynasty, however at 1625, the le Empire is also weakened like their former invaders, while still one of the major forces in southeast asia, will Dai Viet hold their positions against local enemies and possible new threat?

Burma: After centuries of fighting among the local city states/kingdoms, Burmans have reestablished their dynasty at the city of Ava, now they are ready to face the threat from the east(Siam and Dai Viet), west (Arkan) and possibly north. However, Burma also know that their old enemy: the Portugese has establised their position at the south, But surely Burma will beat the european invaders like they once had.

Portugal (and other Europeans): While being the richest and most advanced (Ming China not included) people around european have seriously lack of Manpower, and this will prevent them from becoming a major faction in the region (at least for a few more centuries). To hold their position at Malacca, Aomen/Macao and Taiwan/Formosa will be the main job for the europeans.

And here is the (beta version 0.66) file:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/99856/Coming_Darkness_-_Ming_1625.rar

Update: (version 0.69): the mod which come with v0.66 is needed.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/99856/Ming_v0.69.rar

Original or Warlords? I'm guessing the latter but you never know.

BTW-Can't wait to play this.

BTW- I'm ignurent. How do I set up the scenario with a rar file?

It require the warlords, btw thanks for the reply, hopefully you (and other people) can give me some positiv (and negative) reviews after playing it.

Looks like my scenario is so bad that the few people who bother to reply only do it before playing it but not afterward, I should have known it.

I hope somebody who has tried it could at least send one reply like: "I have played it and its working (or not working)"

I have played the game once as the Ming Emperor. It was too easy. I didn't even lost one city to Li Zi Cheng or Manchurian. I've also conquor the only city of Li Zi Cheng in 1644, and signed a peace treaty with the Manchurian, only after about 20 turns of the game start.

In general, I think the idea is really cool. I like the setting you chosen. But game balance is really an issue if you want to make this scenario more interesting. I also notice that the city placement for China is quite inaccurate.

Thanks for the review, like I have said before this work is unfinished yet, many issues (like balancing) in version0.66 isnt really tested, but on the emperor difficulty it shouldnt be too easy.

btw I have put up version0.69 which should be a little bit more balanced, the name of the cities could be wrong, some cities got the name of the provinces and 400 years ago some cities also had different name, in general it was somewhat difficult to place all the cities so the great wall show up correctly.

Have done some balancing so far: (v0.69)
- Deleted all ivory in China so Ming empire can no longer produce war elephants
- Changed Ming millitary situation: deleted all the millitary academies for Ming china and added a new army group at chengdu city to reflect the famous female ming general madame Qin Liang Yu (1584一1648)
- Chinese rebellion force become stronger: added some great generals to reflect Lord Li Zi Cheng and his generals, experienced trebuchets and technology of engineering added, rebel army become more experienced, now rebel army could conquer most of northwest China within 3-4 turns and take the capital.
- Qing empire gets eight great general to reflect the royal leaders of the eight manchurian banner armies.
- More barbarian warriors and cities added.

Altough I wanted to make this scenario as accurate as possible, there are also a few "minor" things to take notice:
-Emperor Chong Zhen come to power at 1628, not 1625, but he is much more famous and better ruler then the emperor before him.
-1625 is the year when the father of manchurian leader Huang Tai Ji died during invasion against Ming china, although Huang Tai ji come to power at 1625, it wasnt until almost a decade later when he renamed Manchuria to Qing empire.
-Mongolian Ligden Khan didnt submit to Manchurians, actually he fought the Manchurians (although unsuccessful), it was his son who surrendered to the Manchurians.
-It is certain that the name of the vietnamese ruler is wrong, at 1625 the house of Le has almost completly lost control in Vietnam although is still Le dynasty officially

There are some issues I dont know how to deal with:
-prevent Ming China to speak with rebels or Manchurians
-correct the diplomacy screen where there is double name of the ruler showed up
-edit introduction text
-prevent nations to change their religion and civics
-delete units like settler
-each turn changed to month instead of year

Thanks for the map, currently working at version 0.70,

solved:
-more technologies are disabled
-settler can no longer be build anymore

Right now the biggest unsolved problem is to prevent Ming empire to have peace with manchurians and the rebels. (and prevent Koreans to trade with southeast asians- although war elephants in Korea is pretty cool)

By the way, it shouldnt be possible for the manchurians to catch Beijing easily as in the history first they have indeed reached beijing but failed to take the city, later they falled back to manchuria and stayed outside of China until rebellion force under Li overthrown the Ming governement. But maybe people can use "mongolian" tactic to conquer china: leave the well defended cities alone at first and pillage everthing and fall further into enemy territory to catch easy targets.

I've been waiting for some warlords mods. I'll wait until you get a few more things work out before I try it though

I'm eagerly waiting your ver0.70.
Actually I don't think it's necessary to prevent Ming having peace with Manchurians. In the real history, Ming also had this kind of chance.

HuaXiaEmpire01 said:
Thanks for the map, currently working at version 0.70,

solved:
-more technologies are disabled
-settler can no longer be build anymore

Right now the biggest unsolved problem is to prevent Ming empire to have peace with manchurians and the rebels. (and prevent Koreans to trade with southeast asians- although war elephants in Korea is pretty cool)

By the way, it shouldnt be possible for the manchurians to catch Beijing easily as in the history first they have indeed reached beijing but failed to take the city, later they falled back to manchuria and stayed outside of China until rebellion force under Li overthrown the Ming governement. But maybe people can use "mongolian" tactic to conquer china: leave the well defended cities alone at first and pillage everthing and fall further into enemy territory to catch easy targets.

Looks like there is actually some people who are still interested in my scenario, although I havent abandoned it there are things which prevent me from working on it. (for two more weeks)

Right now I am in the middle of making some unique units which is quite difficult:

First the Ming Empire get units like swordman, spearman, archer, rider all in chinese armor like Chokonu and also a unique musket-cannon (most are from other Warlord mods)

To 阿里巴巴:

my inspiration for this scenario is from some historical documentations I have read and the film 江山风雨情. (in my opinion its one of the better and more accurent historical film)

I did not read "江山风雨情". From the history readings I read,
the great general of Ming, Yuan ChengHuan, who was the most successful leader to defend against Manchurians, wanted to have peace with Manchurians at least for several years for re-building the defence and army. Unfortunitely, the Ming emperor did not give him a chance.

I havent downloaded your scenario yet but I have noticed that you have Burmese and Veitnam... At the time, arguably, the richest and most powerful state in SE Asia at that time wopuld have been Ayuthaya (Siam). I havent seen the map you use so maybe you dont go south enough for a Siam but if it does, to be historically correct you may want to consider putting it in.

Either way I am going to dowload the scenario to check it out.

Top Bottom