DNES2: War and Civilization

just to confirm no update tonight, of course it was rather naive of me to say that was a possibility :( still aiming for tomorrow but ive left the most complicated wars till last :( though if i make it within 48 hours of last recieved orders, i think that will be a record for me :)

Turns out my new method takes just about as long as the old one, but it seems to be 'flowing' better, im finding it more fun, hopefully it will read better (im doing things pretty much nation-by-nation now, all details thrown in together and not separated into war+peace sections, which seems to work better for me).

edit:

i noticed alex994 got the 1000th post in this thread with this, congrats alex! (and im very honoured there are 1000 posts in this thread! :wow:)

#1000 said:
Long Live the Taej Inquisition! :evil:

just to confirm no update tonight, of course it was rather naive of me to say that was a possibility :( still aiming for tomorrow but ive left the most complicated wars till last :( though if i make it within 48 hours of last recieved orders, i think that will be a record for me :)

Turns out my new method takes just about as long as the old one, but it seems to be 'flowing' better, im finding it more fun, hopefully it will read better (im doing things pretty much nation-by-nation now, all details thrown in together and not separated into war+peace sections, which seems to work better for me).

edit:

i noticed alex994 got the 1000th post in this thread with this, congrats alex! (and im very honoured there are 1000 posts in this thread! :wow:)
Cool. I've also found that things flow better when I go nation-by-nation or region-by-region.

The hard part with nation-nation/region-region is when you got a war that takes place across borders. Though for the most part I agree, and use it when I mod.

I am honored to make the 1000th post without even noticing :eek: Though to be honest I find it disturbing that it be the post about the "Taej Inquisition" and my evil smily :evil:

Well this took 4 nights to do, and im not expecting anyone to read all this. I kinda went off on trip. I like this format better though (going through PC’s in turn, also with NPC’s as appropriate), but I guess I really need to cut it down by 2/3 in size…

I decided to add a couple of extra possible stat levels beyond ‘gigantic’, so Panga’s science could increase further now

The Almoth rebellion was started by Sheep

Bad times for germanica and the HRE, im sorry…

@ Disenfrancied, ive been meaning to ask - in Ultimism, can you be declared a saint while you are still alive?

@ alex994, what can I call the new palace wonder you are building?

Dead nations = Malachurn, Almothien, Almhadar
New nation = Almoth

---

330-355 AD

There are new contacts and exchanges of ideas across the world. In some places, science and learning reach a new high. But elsewhere, there are brutal massacres and atrocities, as religious and cultural conflicts reach a new low…

---

Thulean League

In 330 AD the Thulean people remained optimistic about the future. The alignment of the HRE and Germanica was a threat, but the ordinary people were far more concerned about wealth. Trade had been declining in recent years (with the disruption of Herakleia and south africa), but the Lord Protector promised that new trade routes would soon be established...

The Thulean cities were spared the worst effects of a new plague outbreak (see HRE) but at least three hundred thousand people died. There were cases in most of the populated coastal areas and islands, spreading as far west as Baro and Lenyahd, and as far south as Astura (near Umidia) and Ember (central eastern ocean). The Thulean people were horrified, but there was not the mass paranoia seen in other countries.

---

Meanwhile, the Pictish and Yssian cultures drew even closer together, culminating in the annexation of Malachurn by the Thulean League, after Malachurn’s king died without and heir. This came sooner than the Thulean leadership had been expecting.

Thulean League: +6 Heavy Infantry, +4 Light Infantry, +2 Light Cavalry, +5 Galleys

Some pictish hard-liners refused to accept Thulean rule, and began a war of resistance in remote parts of the Hebridean islands. The Thuleans ignored them for the most part, so long as they kept away from the coast.

Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry

An agreement was reached with Norgar over the division of former Juhtland, improving relations between the two countries. Thulean merchants were also given special privileges and became more involved in the trade route to Videssos (some Thulean merchants began sailing to Videssos’s eastern colonies themselves, via Norgar’s ports). However, there were still independent Juhtish forces that had no intention of being annexed by anyone. The Thuleans managed to gain Mecklenjurg and Jornstad with a mix of force and diplomacy. Norgar used brute force and had less luck (see Norgar).

Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

---

On the new contient, the Thuelans made the dramatic move of completely abandoning their colony on Ohiwa land. The Ohiwa were impressed by this show of respect, as were the Alganwi and other onlookers. But the Hanawauk had already decided to abduct the Ohiwa chief ‘for his own safety’, and they sent in their warbands to ‘defend’ Ohiwa land – IE bring it under Hanawauk rule. The Alganwi were not impressed by this. Once again seeing Hanawauk as the real threat, they began to repair their relations with the Thulean League.

The Thuleans now continued to expand into Scota territory, with not much protest from the other native powers. The Scota still fought bitterly to defend their land, and their lightly-armed troops wore down the Thuleans with constant skirmishing and ambushes.

Thulean League: -2 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

The Thuleans built new forts to defend their colonies further south (the Yahoss and Transnoagar peninsulas) from Hocatelco. But no attack came, as Hocatelco’s armies were also on the defensive.

A pirate fleet pillaged Mahutan island (near Hanawauk in the new world), taking away tons of valuable goods and disrupting trade there. But at the same time, Thulean ships and soldiers were aiding Yihamcoross in the systematic destruction of the pirate bases. After tough battles on several islands, Yihamcoross managed to expand its area control, and the pirate threat seems to have subsided for now (though the HRE also suffered at the hands of pirates – see HRE), though Yihamcoross’s army was badly weakened.

Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry, -2 Ys Sloops
Yihamcoross: -6 Light Infantry, -3 Galleys

---

Thulean explorers rounded the broad cape at the south end of the lower ‘new’ continent, and reached New Panga. Some scattered contacts had taken place before, but this was the first ‘official’ visit by the actual Thulean navy. Soon there were frequent trade voyages taking place between Yihamcoross/Transnoagar and New Panga. Along the way, the Traders could resupply at Kulo (the Chimuko capitol) and at the settlements of the increasingly pro-Pangan native peoples at the south of the continent (see Panga).

The Pangan and Thulean peoples were naturally curious about each other. The Thuleans may have been the most enlightened power in europe, but in New Panga they saw signs of an even more advanced culture. The Pangans were also eager to learn about these strangers from the other side of the world. These europeans, it seems, are not quite as backward as some of the old asian texts had stated.

A later Thulean voyage was blown off course, into strong currents in the ‘western’ ocean (as it is known in asia), eventually reaching the coast of Quipeng (arriving at the time of Taej’s war against Tarosim). The Thuleans then sailed to Panga itself (where they saw glimpses of ‘many wondrous things’), and even visited Kymash and Garuda (where they were impressed by Garudan ship designs – see Garuda). Local officials treated them with respect, and they were eventually able to get enough supplies to return to New Panga. The details of these travels were copied and circulated across europe, where they were often considered fiction - the stories of ‘East and West Pingu, Great Tajo Land, and Garudan’ seemed too unbelievable (although frequent mistranslations along the way didn’t help)…

Some ships didn’t make it back from all this exploring:
Thulean League: -2 Ys Sloops

The arrival of the europeans didn’t attract too much attention in asia itself. They were generally equated with other ‘barbarians’ of faraway places. The storm-battered and dishevelled Thuleans didn’t make a good first impression.

---

Meanwhile, from their isolated temple on the barren and wind-swept island of Staffa (the most northerly point in europe, home only to fishermen and fur-trappers for most of the year), a group of Juhtish mystics created a new branch of Ultimist philosophy. It differed from conventional Ultimism by its definition of what is worthy of inclusion into the ‘final god’ at the end of time – ‘Northern Ultimism’ (or Nordism) argues that only noble deeds are worthy of inclusion into God, that God is composed of light, and nothing but light can re-enter it… Any actions coming from fear, greed, hate, egotism or selfishness will be rejected, no matter how remarkable they may be. Thus, only the most noble, righteous and noble deeds are immortal, and a human being cannot become a true saint without having done truly noble deeds...

Sadly, the later works of the Staffan monks became increasingly bizarre and indecipherable, and they ended altogether after several murders and suicides took place in their temple. But within a few years Nordism’s core beliefs had been circulated across the Thulean League. This caused friction with the Thulean establishment, which has used Ultimist beliefs to encourage acts of bravery in battle, amongst other things. Under ‘Nordism’ the murder of other beings is only a noble action in the most desperate of situations - wars over power and wealth do not count.

Speaking of battle, the Thuleans were about to be involved in fighting for the city of Kortha (see below)

---

The Empire of Germanica

In 330 AD Germanica remained stable and prosperous, but religious and cultural divisions were still threatening to cause trouble.

Efforts were made to encourage population growth. The Emperor proclaimed it to be a moral obligation of the people to raise more Germanicans, and thus increase the number of Aeonis-blessed people in the world. This had some success over the next few decades.

Aeonist missionaries from Germanica were allowed to travel freely across Norgar, but they could hardly make an impression against Phosism there (especially as Videssian missionaries were also in Norgar at the time, with much support from Norgar’s leaders).

Missionaries to Talibria also failed to make an impact. Though others had more luck in Tusca and Cyrasia, where Aeonism had already taken hold.

Printing methods came to Germanica during this time, probably from the Antalese Empire. But the methods of paper making are still unknown, so cloth is used instead.

In 334 AD, there was a controversial new law, outlawing the public practise of all religions except Aeonism. A large army, spearheaded by the fearsome new ‘Holy Germanican Crusaders’ (the new elite infantry of Germanica), was sent into the city of Oldenburg, and began to systematically arrest many of the Phos-worshipping people there, in particular the Phosist priests. Phosist temples were converted into Aeonist ones.

There was no real opposition to this, at least not to begin with. The centre and east of the country were mostly supportive, as Aeosnism was already universal there. Soon Aeonism was the only organised religion being practised in the empire, but variations of paganism still remained, especially in the west. Efforts were made to assimilate these ancient beliefs into Aeonism, with some success.

There was much talk in Germanica about creating some kind of central authority to govern Aeonism, which would span both Germanica and the HRE, and all other Aeonis-blessed lands. But the Holy Rovien Emperor has showed little interest so far.

The Kortha war

For many years, the small coastal city of Kortha had been the cause of anger between Germanica/Seculia and the Thulean League. The Thuleans seemed determined to retake control of the northern coasts, and the Germanicans refused to back down. Negotiations failed… Then a rebellion took place in Kortha among the majority Pictish and Yssian populations (possibly caused by Thulean agents), the Seculian garrison was defeated, and the minority Germanic peoples were expelled from the city…

Germanica had already sent a large army towards the city, but by the time it arrived the Thuelans had landed their own garrison there, with the support of the remaining people. Seculia was offered a peace treaty – the Thuleans only wanted Kortha and a small coastal strip of land – but the Seculians refused after seeing the strength of Germanica’s army, which soon laid siege to Kortha. The Thuleans did their best to keep the city supplied by sea, as they prepared to send in their own large army to relieve the city…

Germanica and the Thuleans were now basically at war, though both sides had very limited aims, and things never escalated too far. Germanica’s fleet in the serpent sea was kept in port. Germanica had in fact been expecting a Thulean invasion of central Seculia, so they asked for all of Seculia’s army and the HRE’s expedition to remain near Malaig (the well-fortified seculien capitol), and these forces never saw battle.

As for Norgar’s alliance with Germanica, this came to nothing. Germanica expected Norgar to offer support, but the Nor argued that the war was really about Seculia’s borders, Germanica had not been attacked, and thus they refused to activate the alliance (they may also have been upset about the fate of Phosists in Oldenburg).

Germanica was now hit by uprisings elsewhere (see below), but Germanica’s other forces dealt with this, and the siege of Kortha continued. The Thuleans eventually landed an army just along the coast from the city, sending as much as they could spare without weakening their border with the HRE. Both sides were now roughly equal in size. Germanica’s veteran Axemen were a good match for the tough Pictish Guards. The Thuleans did had an advantage in light infantry and cavalry, but many of Germanica’s troops were deeply inspired by their Aeonist faith, especially as they were fighting against Ultimists, who did not believe in the original God…

The battle took place over two separate days, and was bitterly fought from start to finish, with heavy casualties on both sides (one of europe’s bloodiest battles so far). In the end, the Thuleans took greater losses and were forced to retreat, but neither side could quite claim a victory. The Germanicans had taken too many casualties to maintain a tight siege of Kortha, and the Thuelan garrison there remained strong, with supplies continuing to come through from the sea. So, with Germanica facing strong rebellions on other fronts, the German and Seculian generals reluctantly agreed to give up the coastal lands to the Thulean League. The ‘Kortha war’ quickly came to a close.

Germanica: -8 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry
Thulean League: -7 Heavy Infantry, -5 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -3 Light Cavalry

---

Meanwhile, there was an uprising in the western city of Gothaus. Partly, it was a last stand of old Germanic paganism (despite efforts by the Aeonists to assimilate it), but it also became a rebellion by ethnic Gothic peoples against their Saxon-Germanic cousins. For a while, a large area around Gothaus was under rebel control, and Gutenburg was put under siege. But local Germanic forces began to regroup, and led by the Holy Crusaders they were eventually able to crush all of the rebel forces. The pagans were forced to accept Aeonism at sword-point, though most still practice some form of ancient paganism also.

Germanica: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry

New Almoth

Now there was a larger rebellion in the south, from among the remnants of the old Almothian peoples. This was less about religion (many had become Aeonists centuries ago) but more about the charismatic leadership of Aran Denton – who was at one time a captain in the Germanican army, but came from an old Almothian family, and now sought to reunify the descendents of old Almoth culture, before they were forever swallowed up by Germanica. Around five hundred years ago, Almoth’s people had been defeated, massacred and exiled by the Saxons. Stories of the atrocities had been passed down to this day, and it was easy for old hatred to rise again.

The problem was that ethnic Germans were now the biggest majority in the old Almothian heartlands. So Aran Denton started his war in the Kingdom of Almothien, a vassal of the HRE (Almothien’s land had been spared the worst of the massacres in the past, and still had a majority Almothian population, but was under Anguilian/Rovien influence). Here he gathered support and volunteers, and created a strong enough army to re-enter Germanica and storm the city of Talbar (using inside agents from among the ethnic Almothian people to open the gates). Any ethnic germans of high rank were exiled, unless they bowed to the new order. All wealth was seized and used to gain supplies and train more volunteers. The process was soon repeated at the city of Almgar, at which point Aran Denton organised the ‘abdication’ of Almothien’s ruler, took control of its army and treasury, and declared himself ‘King of the new nation of Almoth’, which was now comprised of Almothien and the conquered parts of south Germanica.

By the time the Germanicans had finished with the Gothic uprising, the borders of new Almoth had spread towards Elberhaus in the north, and had reached Almos (formerly High Almoth, the old sacred captiol) in the Cyrasian Empire (which was too busy struggling with Talibrian attacks). At this point in time, the Germanicans have retaken some territory, but there has yet to be a real showdown between the two sides. The Almothians are said to be digging in and building new fortresses across their territory. The core of Almoth’s new army is the ‘Golden Legion’, made up of extremely disciplined and fanatical knights.

Germanica: -5 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry, -3 Galleys
Almothien is no more, Nation of Almoth appears
Cyrasian Empire: -1 Heavy Infantry

The small medtierranean island of Tano had been owned by Almothien under the HRE, but now it fell into anarchy.

Most of Germanica’s large mediterranean fleet had been at sea on a training run, and is now docked at Lenierde in the HRE.

Germanica’s confidence has been shaken by all this, but Aeonism is looking very established throughout the empire’s heartlands, where the people remain passionately loyal.

Holy Rovien Empire

Decades after the long war of unification, the HRE was still lacking in infrastructure and trade. The composition of the empire still made it naturally unstable. But it had survived the past half-century because of three main reasons:
#1, The people’s exhaustion after the war to establish Rovien’s superiority – their overwhelming desire for peace and stability, and their unwillingness to support rebellion or any more conflict.
#2 The unifying force of Aeonism, revived and strengthened by Rovien’s leaders (and later with help from Germanica)
#3 The efforts of Rovien’s leaders to promote a common culture, helping to assimilate the german, pictish, yssian, almothian, seculien and other minorities.

Certain things were now eating away at this stability. A new generation had grown up, one that did not witness the long wars of the past, and was not afraid of sparking trouble. Religious tensions were also increasing everywhere.

And Rovien’s leaders did nothing to help solve the crisis in the vassal state of Bretoen, which soon collapsed into anarchy. Instead, the Emperor was focused on the recruitment of large new armies to guard the northern frontier, and an expedition to aid Germanica in the event of war with the Thulean League. The north was certainly well protected, but Bretoen now became a problem, as the fight between Bretoen’s Aeonist and Ultimist factions occasionally spilled over into central HRE territory, some bordering areas were frequently pillaged and became lawless.

Rovien’s leaders had yet to show any interest in expeditions across the eastern ocean. Rovien’s merchants continued to fund their own voyages, until several ended in disaster, with attacks by pirates (using european ships, but based somewhere in the new world). The losses were enough to bankrupt several merchants. The HRE certainly has the seafaring tradition and the resources to establish a presence in the eastern ocean, if there was the will do to so. But all the HRE’s independent expeditions have ended for now.

Bad news just piled up for the HRE. The plague of the previous decades returned in force, spreading fear and misery across much of the empire. The south-east was worst affected, the ancient city of Anguilairme in particular saw at least fifty thousand dead. The plague spread right across the empire, reaching Lenierde and then moving further west across the mediterranean (into Umidia, Tusca, and the Antalese coast). Large swathes of countryside were affected, some areas being virtually depopulated. Over six hundred thousand of the HRE’s people may have died. As with Catalia (see below), the plague spread fear and intolerance as people looked for someone or something to blame.

And then, the HRE’s other vassal of Almothien was lost to a new wave of Almoth nationalism under Aran Denton (see Germanica)

There were no reserves available to restore authority over the vassals. Unfortunately, Rovien’s military expedition to aid Germanica in the Kortha war ended up staying near the Seculien fortress of Malaig the whole time, and never saw any fighting (see Germanica). Tensions remained high along the HRE/Rovien border, but things never escalated into actual war.

---

There was one final blow –a determined rebellion centred on the north-western city of Brouforlard. These rebels became known as Lanvinquists, from their leader Poiret Lanvin, who argued that orthodox Aeonism had lost its way, and that the plague was an act of God, signalling the people to rise against the flawed HRE’s authority. The Lavinquists were also greatly inspired by the (somewhat bizarre) works of Juhtish/Ultimist mystics living on the far northern island of Staffa (see Thulean League). The result was a mixture of Aeonism and Ultimism – stating that there was and still is an original God, whose nature is a just and caring one (the Aeonist part), but that God also seeks to explore itself through the chaotic creation and eventual re-absorption of the whole universe (the Ultimist part).

Anyway, this Lanvinism is not for the simple-minded, but it has an appeal for the more spiritual or intellectually minded people, or anyone with a grudge against either HRE/Germanican-dominated Aeonism, or Thulean-dominated Ultimism. The ideas of Lanvinism are already spreading across scattered parts of northern europe. The HRE’s army has not yet had a chance to strike at these rebels.

---

Overall, the HRE might not be having a good time right now, but its army is still in good shape, and most of its people remain very loyal.

---

Catalia

Umidia’s vassal was hit by two disasters – first, large earthquakes occurred in the centre of the country, causing much damage in Valade and Nieme. Then, the plague spread from the HRE. It caused tens of thousands of dead in the major cities.

Paranoia spread throughout the country. The Aeonists and the Theosists blamed each other for these ‘acts of god’. A full scale civil war erupted, dividing the country (and the army) between the two faiths (and also between areas of Rovien and Umidian cultural influence). Catalia’s leaders remained loyal to Theosim and Umidia, but their forces were defeated in several battles while trying to retake the north. This was partly due to the arrival of Aeonist mercenaries and volunteers from the HRE.

Norgar

The King of Norgar has yet to involve himself in any of the nearby conflicts. Norgar could certainly make an impact against the Talibrians, Germanicans or the Thuleans if it chose to. But for now, the Nor people are benefiting from (mainly) good relations with their neighbours.

It is rumoured that Videssian priests travelled all the way to Norgar, on invitation of Norgar’s rulers, to help spread the faith of Phosism there, and to clarify certain religious issues which had caused disagreement and division. Norgar is now a centre for further expansion of ‘orthodox’ Phosism. This is good for relations with Videssos, but it does put Norgar at odds with the other european powers and their own faiths.

Relations with Germanica were worsened due to various reasons (see Germanica).

Trade with the Thulean League has recently doubled, and it keeps increasing. Even if Thulean traders travel all the way to Videssian ports themselves, they are almost certain to use Norgar’s ports along the way. And due to Germanican-Thulean hostility, Germanica’s goods have often ended up being sold to the Thuleans via Norgar’s ports.

A treaty was made with the Tavuri people, ceding some land to them in return for trade rights. The Tavuri became a more settled people, leaving the Laaps as the last true nomads in europe.

The annexation of Juhtish lands did not go so well. Stubborn Juhtish factions inflicted several defeats on the Norgar as they pressed into the central mountains of the peninsular.

Norgar: -4 Heavy Infantry, -4 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

Talibria

The conquest of northern Cyrasia seemed the best option to the Librians. The Cyrasians were unable to fight back properly, as they were under the rule of a weak emperor, and were still exhausted from fighting the Antalese. The Librians also exploited local tensions among the Motrian people (who used to rule their own state around Amtria) and recruited Motrian rebels into their army.

After decades of fighting, the Talibrians had conquered large swathes of Cyrasia’s northern territory. Talbria took more losses, not really doing much for their confidence overall, but at least their tribal warriors were easier to replace than Cyrasia’s heavy infantry.

Talibria: -3 Heavy Infantry, -9 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry
Cyrasian Empire: -7 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Support

Conflict with the Antalese was avoided in the south west, and relations remain good at this point. The Librians still have cultural ties to the Antalese (with Librian involvement in the formation of the original Aahnad Empire). The Agrinese may have exiled some Librian tribes from their homelands in the past, but the Librians have a long history of being exiled from one place to another…

Saruk

Saruk’s people were becoming increasingly exhausted by the endless wars, but they remained loyal - mainly because of Theosim, but also because Saruk seemed to be winning overall. Kousha had been lost to the Taej/Yutanese, and the last enclave on Tongu’s land was also being evacuated, but the Kalhipan (Emperor) stated this was a sign form Eos, urging Saruk to focus its might against Kenbu…

The demands of war had made science and learning a low priority. Some of Saruk’s academies and libraries were now basically abandoned. But foreign ideas were still able to take hold - the techniques of paper-making were brought to Saruk from asia, leading to a revival of printing there (printing having previously been done on cloth and other materials). The Kalhipan (Emperor) was particularly interested in this. The making of gunpowder also became more common in Saruk, as knowledge spread from both asia and Umidia.

At a council of Saruk’s highest religious leaders, it was declared that any sects of Theosim are to be considered legal, as long as they follow the Haijs and accept Eos as the Divinity. This eased tensions between the Sarukian and Umidian versions of the faith.

Despite this declaration of tolerance, the northern city of Tamlki was suddenly seized by radical fanatics with their own new religious ideas – declaring that accumulation of material wealth and luxuries was immoral, and all excess wealth must be given to the poor or otherwise improving the lives of others. All royal merchants, officials, tax collectors and soldiers were expelled from the city, but none of these people were harmed, and the rebels did not attempt to expand any further. As Saruk’s main armies have been busy elsewhere, these rebels have not seen any retaliation yet.

Sarukian missionaries were involved in the east, among the growing Umidian colonies (see Umidia above). Others travelled through Byzar’s lands and into the south of the Antalese Empire, stirring up trouble there (see Antalese Empire).

Yet more missionaries travelled to the island kingdoms around Kenbu, trying to undermine Tarrism and Kenbu’s influence there. But the threats and warnings did not go down well with the local tribes, and some missionaries did not return. It seems that converting these people would take a concentrated effort.

A large naval build-up took place. Many more of the tough and manoeuvrable Khima vessels were built in the shipyards at al-Ta’ia.

The brutal war against Kenbu and its allies continued. The Kalhipan issued a complicated plan of troop movements (some of the Sarukian generals wondered if even the Kalhipan understood them fully) to end the great war on the continent…

The End of Almhadar

Most of Almhadar’s remaining army (mainly mercenary impi) was quickly routed by large numbers of Saruk’s Aj-Savar cavalry.

The last remnants of Almhadar rule were soon isolated at Togon, cut off from any further source of mercenaries.

There was then a prolonged siege of Togon, with some resupply getting through from Kenbu’ ships. The final fall of the city was a bloodbath. The Tarrists fought to the death (though the Theosits didn’t give them any choice about that). A handful of Theosists living in the city were spared, the rest of the inhabitants were killed. Almhadar was finally destroyed.

Saruk: -4 Light Infantry, -5 Light Cavalry
Almhadar: -9 Light Infantry, -3 Light Cavalry
Almhadar to Kenbu: +2 Galleys

Saruk’s forces then went on to attack independent Logrono in the north, though this was too ambitious – half the infantry and all the cavalry had already been called away to other fronts, and with the losses suffered at Togon there was not enough left to threaten the local chieftains, who even went on the offensive and began to advance south along the coast...

Saruk: -1 Light Infantry

Saruk had been expecting help form the remnants of the Sulchan League, but they still only had a small number of troops, and these were unwilling to leave the defences of their last island stronghold. It didn’t help that their old capitol city of Sulchan was renamed ‘Jiaz’ by the Sarukians, leaving them to wonder if they would ever get it back…

The war with Kenbu

As expected, Saruk began to concentrate against Kenbu’s coastal holdings. But working in Kenbu’s favour was the fact that different parts of Saruk’s army were arriving at different times and from different directions. Kenbu’s king attempted to move against each of them in turn, with some success. In one battle south of Lambu, the Kenbuans isolated and massacred a large force of Saruk’s fanatical but lightly armed Karitayha troops. In this battle it was actually the Kenbuans who had the cavalry advantage, with a small number of mercenary horsemen. For a while after this defeat, Saruk was left with a shortage of infantry.

Emboldened by this, the Kenbuan King then moved his army to besiege Lambu again, though this allowed Saruk to reorganise its forces…

Kenbu’s army finally began to crack when most of Saruk’s cavalry forces met up near Sulchan, and began sweeping south along the coast through Kenbuan-held areas, showing now mercy to Tarrists along the way…

Many thousands of ordinary Kenbuan people had been sent along with their armies. Over the decades, a whole generation of Kenbuans had grown up on the shores of mainland africa. Much of the area had basically become a Kenbuan colony. The Sarukian forces were now determined to ‘purge’ this land.

Up to this point, Kenbu’s army had received a steady trickle of reinforcements from home. But after Saruk’s newly-enlarged fleet began to sweep the coast, there were a series of naval disasters for the Kenbuans. Many galleys were sunk or captured. Eventually the Kenbuans recalled most of their ships to the Kenbu mainland, hoping to build up enough strength to return to the african coast in force, though this chance never came...

The isolated Kenbuan army was now outnumbered by two to one. Still they were determined to fight for their faith and defend their people. What followed was a messy series of battles and massacres all along the coast. Losses were very high on both sides. Kenbu’s pikemen took a toll on Saruk’s massed cavalry, but it wasn’t enough to halt the progress of Saruk’s combined forces. Hundreds of thousands of Kenbuan colonists and Tarrist converts were killed without mercy. Only a tiny handful managed to escape overseas. Kenbu’s divine king was not one of them – he took his own life, as the last of his army was defeated and surrounded at Timbu.

All of the southern mainland was once again under Sarukian rule. Piles of rotting corpses littered the coast from Timbu to Sulchan. And with the sudden death of their King, the already-unstable state of Kenbu began to break apart. It wasn’t clear if this would be the end of the war against the Tarrists…

Saruk: -11 Light Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry, -10 Light Cavalry, -2 Galleys, -2 Khimas
Kenbu: -9 Heavy Infantry, -19 Light Infantry, -5 Light Cavalry, -5 Galleys
Kenbu to Saruk: +3 Galleys captured
Tongu: -2 Galleys

---

Umidia

In 330 AD the Umidian people were becoming increasingly confident and wealthy. Umidia’s king was held in high regard by the people.

But, Umidia was struggling to be a major power on both land and sea. The growth of the army and navy, together with the expansion of the mainland territory and the new colonies, is putting a lot of strain on the government, and leading to some disorganisation…

Umidia’s shipyards were busy building a new type of ship, bigger and sturdier than the caravels seen before, capable of carrying more cargo and travelling further without stopping for supplies. Some foreign travellers have called these ‘galleons’.

Exploration and colonisation continued across the eastern ocean. It is rumoured that Umidians have made colonies in lands not known to the wider world.

Umidia’s influence over Ohukal was increased further, as the faith of Theosim began to spread there. But many of the Ohukal converts are now following Sarukian Theosim, rather than Umidia’s version, after Sarukian missionaries travelled to Ohukal aboard Umidian merchant ships. Saruk has announcement of tolerance for other branches of Theosim (see Saruk below), which has tended to promote more unity among Theosists for the time being.

Despite Saruk’s move towards tolerance, tensions remained along the new Saruk/Umidia border in central africa. Large Umidian armies were said to be on patrol here, though Saruk’s side of the border was deserted, as its troops were busy elsewhere (see Saruk).

The plague swept down from europe into Umidia, and is now beginning to affect the mediterranean and eastern coastlines. Several thousands have died in scattered outbreaks, mainly among poor slum areas of coastal towns, though this is beginning to frighten the whole population.

--

The Umidian military went on the offensive in the mediterranean, targeting the separatists from the Knights of Mycenae. Firstly, Jerusalem was attacked, though the Umidians underestimated the fanaticism of the ‘Thaoist’ Knights who guarded the city. The Umidian navy blockaded the harbour, but the siege still dragged on for almost two years. The surviving Knights finally opened the gates and made a suicidal charge against the Umidians, taking many with them. By that time, most of the inhabitants had died of starvation and disease, or had been killed while rioting against the Knights. The Umidian army had also taken losses from disease and desertion.

Umidia: -8 Light Cavalry, -4 Light Infantry

The attack on the island of Buto was potentially just as difficult, but by a stroke of luck the island was hit by severe earthquake before the Umidians arrived, and the walls of the main city were still broken in several places. After a brief naval battle, the Umidians just stormed straight into the ruined city and took control. The demoralised people could offer little resistance. But, of course, the earthquake had also destroyed much that was valuable in the city.

Umidia: -1 Light Infantry, -2 Galley

Efforts were made to expand the colony at Tanru (on a large island east of Kenbu) to include the independent city of Ankul in the south. But not enough reinforcements were sent to completely defeat the local warlords.

Umidia: -1 Light Infantry

The Antalese Empire

Even with the recent gains and recapture of territory, the Antalese Empire is still eclipsed by the Taej Empire in several areas – science and wealth especially. Though, the Antalese Empire is still the most diverse and dynamic of the two biggest powers. Lying as it does at the crossroads of the continents, it is always going to be in contact and in conflict with many other powers, brining certain advantages and disadvantages…

Indeed, during this time the Antalese Empire was fighting battles along almost all of its borders. Tartyn I still held a firm grip on the empire and its diverse cultures and faiths, but there was still some feeling of detachment and unsettledness among the masses. Many were still looking back to the old Agrinese Empire instead of forwards, towards the new order. Many were not looking to anything at all. And the renewal of science and philosophy that took place during the previous decades was already faltering, as military priorities took over once again…

Northern War

Firstly, peace was signed with the Cyrasian Empire. The Cyrasians gained Mycenae by this treaty, but otherwise retreated back beyond the boundaries of the old great wall. Overland trade with europe could now resume.

Nearby, some remnants of the Kyzar Khanate continued to fight the Antalese in the north east. These were quickly defeated by the northern Antalese army under General Tarkantyr, though not without losses – some of the inexperienced levy soldiers in Tarkantyr’s army suffered badly against veteran Kyzar raiders.

Antalese Empire: -3 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Cavalry

Some of the Kyzar warriors were recruited into the Cyrasian army. This removed the last of the independent Kyzar forces from the Antalese borders in the north east.

Cyrasian Empire: +3 Heavy Cavalry (Kyzar Cavalry)

Other Kyzar forces skirmished with Antalese in the north west. General Tarkantyr was also tasked with subduing them, and somewhat overstretched his forces in doing so, incurring some more losses.

Antalese Empire: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Cavalry, -1 Heavy Cavalry

But after the Tianese marched a huge army through the area (see Tian), the Kyzar warriors had ether joined Tian or been crushed. General Tarkantyr then oversaw the conquest of the territory to the south of Arel, and was swift enough to avoid any battles with Ryzovy or the Tarkan (who were also trying to move into the area).

Jurguk rebels

Another Antalese army, led by Prince Karlyk, was sent against Jurguk’s rebels in the west. In particular, the Antalese made good use of experienced camel-riding troops to track down rebel forces in the desert. A large bounty was also placed on the head of Jurguk himself, encouraging traitors and making it hard for the rebellion to remain united.

Things were going well for the Antalese, and they gained a lot of ground, until they ran into the Orion Empire – at the same time, the Orions were pushing east from their borders, with large armies of cavalry that often outnumbered the local Antalese forces. Although an official war was never declared, things came very close to it. There were many prolonged skirmishes between the two empires, continually growing in size and seriousness, with some rebel factions fighting on both sides. The harsh desert conditions also took a toll. It was a very messy, bloody, and exhausting situation for all involved.

In the south, the Antalese were also fighting an unofficial war with Taej’s vassal of Ugasan. But the leaders of Ugasan were less willing to push things without Taej’s official blessing, and their armies retreated back to the original border after several indecisive skirmishes with the Antalese around Sarbaralyk. The city of Sarbaralyk itself was still in Jurgukian-rebel hands at that point, but soon surrendered to the Antalese without a fight. By now, the local Artanese people were disillusioned with the rebellion, and wanted to rejoin the apparent safety of the Antalese Empire. But the nearby city of Basara was stormed and occupied by the Orions before the Antalese could get to it…

Eventually, the remaining rebels were crushed between the armies of Orion and Antal. Prince Karlyk managed to retake most of the former-Antalese territory in the west and south west.

As for ‘Jurguk the mad’, his body was never found, though it is widely rumoured that he died of illness while on the run from Antalese assassins.

The former Turuk lands (the area around Ghulaman and Uruk-Sarai), which were already poor before the rebellion, have now been made basically worthless by all the raiding and pillaging, though the local people have become skilled desert fighters, and useful recruits.

The Orion Empire has also gained confidence from its gains of territory (however worthless it is), and Orion’s influence is spreading throughout the area.

Orion Empire: -2 Light Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry
Antalese Empire: -4 Heavy Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry, -3 Light Cavalry
Ugasan: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

Aj-Savar war

Meanwhile, the very best Antalese troops (under General Emkyriot) were sent against the Aj-Savar, and quickly removed the threat to Bolu and Konstantynai. The Knights of Mycenae also attacked the Aj-Savar’s coastal territory at the same time. The exhausted and overstretched Aj-Savar were pushed back on all fronts, with only small battles and skirmishes being fought.

Herakleia was the scene of another siege, but it didn’t last long. The walls had not been fully repaired (since the explosion during the Aj-Savar’s original siege years ago) and were soon breached again by the Antalese. Aj-Savar fanatics fought on in the city streets, some continuing to hold out for several days. Casualties were heavy on all sides. But, as usual, most of the corpses littering the streets were those of civilians. Herakeia has suffered badly from all this fighting, and it is not clear if it can recover this time. Much of the city now lays abandoned and in ruins.

However, before the siege, Herakleia (or Hamadan) was being prepared as the new capitol of the Aj-Savar, with a large Theosist temple under construction. So the Antalese captured a large amount of treasure, luxury goods, and various useful materials here. Aj-Savar confidence (and economy) was dealt a large blow by this loss, but at least their leaders were not in the city - they were able to escape to the south to continue the fight…

The Knights of Mycenae now began attacking Tergamon (one of the independent city-states that emerged from the Knights’ civil war). The Antalese pressed on into the Aj-Savar heartlands alone. Meanwhile, the ships of the Antalese and the Knights of Mycenae were able to brush aside the tiny Aj-Savar fleets in both the Mediterranean and the Ak-Dynghez seas.

At this point, the unbalanced kingdom of Byzar (actually a semi-official ally of the Antalese) entered the war against the Antalese, and was joined by volunteers from the surrounding lands. Theosist missionaries had been travelling through Byzar and the south of the Antalese Empire, stirring up pro-Saruk/Aj-Savar loyalties as well as spreading the faith of Theosim.

The main Byzar army marched northwards from Aydin on the mainland, and with considerable luck it was soon able to capture the nearby Antalese forts. But, just like many other invaders before them, the Byzarians soon got bogged down in the Sybur-Alin mountains around Agre.

While the Antalese rushed their reserve army from Antalyak to Agre, a new naval war began in the Ak-Dynghez sea. The Byzar fleet was almost twice as large as the local Antalese fleet, and was able to score some quick victories. But the Antalese were already building more ships when the war began. Neither side could take full control of the coast.

Back in north-west africa, on the banks of the river that runs through al-Na’ar (the actual Aj-Savar capitol), a pitched battle was finally fought between the Antalese and the Aj-Savar. After being on the retreat for many years, the Aj-Savar made a final, all-out effort to defend their capitol, with a small number of soldiers from Byzar and some Sarukian cavalry in support. The Antalese were now outnumbered, and at the end of a lengthening supply chain, but their soldiers were still better equipped and full of confidence. Both sides had some basic gunpowder weapons, but pikes and swords remained the main killing weapons. Also, by this time, each side had developed a fierce hatred for the religion (or religions) of the other.

The fighting was as fierce and brutal as might be expected. General Emkyriot himself was seriously wounded, and had to be carried away from battle. But it still seemed that the Antalese were going to break through. Then, there was the sudden arrival of over a hundred well-armoured Sarukian war elephants (from Saruk itself) on the battlefield. This was a shock to the Antalese, and an inspiration for the Aj-Savar troops. It was enough to turn the tide… The Antalese army struggled to remain in order, and was forced to withdraw northwards.

The Antalese losses from the battle were smaller than their enemy’s, but perhaps more serious, as they included some of Antal’s most experienced soldiers…

Finally, the main Byzarian army was also defeated in a series of messy battles around Agre, with near equal losses on both sides. The demoralised Byzarians retreated back to Aydin, which was soon put under siege, though it is still holding out at this point (especially helped by naval supply from Byzar’s island territories).

Saruk: -1 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry
Aj-Savar: -5 Light Infantry, -5 Light Cavalry, -2 Galley, -1 Khima
Knights of Mycenae: -3 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Dromon
Antalese Empire: -6 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -4 Light Cavalry, -3 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Caravels, -4 Galleys
Byzar: -5 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -2 Light Cavalry, -3 Galleys, -1 Caravel

The Aj-Savar are now much weakened and still lacking in confidence, though the people still rally around the faith of Theosim. Saruk’s intervention has also increased its influence among its Aj-Savar vassals.

All the recent fighting has stirred up religious division and hatred in the general area… In particular, Byzar’s actions have divided the nearby Antalese population into pro-Theosist and anti-Theosist camps (the latter being much more numerous)

Meanwhile, in the wake of all this fighting, the Judean peoples in the city of Beer Sheva rose up against the weakened Aj-Savar, and declared an independent city-state there.

---

Although the Antalese military was now becoming overstretched, its confidence generally remained high.

Antalese trade routes rapidly recovered, as the dangerous areas were made safe for trade again.

While the borders were looking more secure, Bazilevs Tartyn I ordered the recaptured areas of the great wall to be rebuilt and strengthened, and new sections of wall to be added to it. But the trouble still wasn’t over for the Antalese...

Isolated cases of the plague (as seen in europe) began to be reported along the empire’s mediterranean coast, causing some local unrest…

Then, in 355 AD, the sudden death of Tartyn I left the newly-enlarged empire in crisis. The two potential successors squared up to each other – Prince Karlyk, with his experience commanding armies against the Jurguk rebels, and Prince Aleksandyr, who was a charismatic figure but lacked any military experience. There were a few months of panic, but the empire was spared a full-blown civil war. Prince Karylk won enough support from the army to isolate Prince Aleksandyr and his supporters at Tarakyan, which is still under siege. No real fighting has taken place so far. Karylk looks set to claim the title of Bazielvs…

Tusca

With the Knights of Mycenae campaigning in africa, the Tuscan people voted for a quick, aggressive war to reconquer the south of their home peninsular. The Tuscans received many new volunteer troops, and had large support from the local people, which was enough to finish the war before the Knights had much chance to respond. The Tuscans are hoping that the Antalese Empire will not retaliate…

Tusca: -4 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry
Knights of Mycenae: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry

Not long after this victory, the plague swept through the country, killing almost one hundred thousand people, and causing widespread panic…

Meanwhile, democratic ideas were spreading to neighbouring lands, and may have helped spark the Almoth rebellion (see Germanica)

---

Orion

Large military parades took place in Oro. The Orion Emperor promised his people continual expansion of territory, wealth, and glory. He declared Orion the rightful inheritor of the old Altynai kingdom (its territory included what is now Artan, and northern Ugasan).

The people are confident and supportive of the regime, though the aristocracy are worried about being surrounded by powerful neighbours on all sides.

Trade with the Taej Empire, Ormash and Tian generates a lot of wealth (mainly from the export of diamonds and gems), and this is funding the large military expansion.

There seems to be no chance of an Ormash-Orion reunification. Orion’s culture has already taken a different character. It’s clear the Orion Empire is taking its own direction.

Ormash

Ormash’s people are growing confident. The country is adapting well to being a seafaring, colonial power. However, there are concerns about the rise of Tian, some fear this is the return of Ulakam, and the days of raiders from the north. There is also concern about the Orion Empire. Some military hot-heads still see Orion as an ongoing rebellion against Ormash, with no right to be independent.

It seems Ormash’s envoys and diplomats are gaining more influence over the state of Jara, and are gaining higher positions in Jara’s royal court. This is taking the country further away from Tianese influence. Ormash’s missonaries are also spreading the faith of Orhadism there.

Efforts were made to increase influence over the state of Oda, and this met with some success, but it also had the effect of uniting elements of the Oda and occupied Koyonese people in resisting the influence of the ‘foreign devils’.

With their differences more or less settled, the anti-Ormash factions in occupied Koyonese lands received some covert support from the people of Oda (but not from the increasingly pro-Ormash government there). The cities of Koyo and Usegi witnessed several fierce riots and attempted uprisings, which the Ormash garrison just about managed to suppress, with help from the pro-Ormash Koyonese factions. Things have calmed down, but it remains a messy situation.

Ormash: -2 Heavy Infantry

Meanwhile, Ormash sent strong expeditions to conquer several more islands near Oda/Koyon. There was some stiff resistance from local tribes, but none were able to repel the invaders. Once again, fierce storms took a toll on Ormash’s ships.

Ormash: -3 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry, -2 Caravels

Back on the continent, there was also some fierce rioting in the old Rayamese city of Khanapor, which took a toll on Ormash’s garrison there. Although order was restored, a great fire was started, which burned out of control and destroyed much of the city, sadly including the trading houses and warehouses. It will be a while before Khanapor becomes a trade centre again.

Ormash: -1 Heavy Infantry

---

Garuda

Prince Kamalkara of Garuda became known as ‘the navigator’ for his voyages across the ‘western ocean’. Gardua has now developed some surprisingly sophisticated ships, known simply as Karachu ships (after the city where they were first built), which are larger than normal, and have areas of the lower hull built as isolated compartments separated by bulkheads (this prevents the whole hull flooding if once part is holed). With these ‘Karachus’, Garduan merchants have sailed directly to New Panga and Hocatelco, and have even established their own colonises on that continent (Taruda and Ghama).

All this has taken a major effort by Garuda, which is still comparatively poor and weak. The people are still quite paranoid about an invasion by Ormash and its allies. So closer ties with Tian are being eagerly perused; while Tian’s influence declines in Jara, more Tianese envoys are being seen in Garuda.

Although tensions remain high across the former Rayamese lands, it doesn’t seem that Gardua is stirring up any more trouble with its neighbours these days.

Tian

The Tianese people remained confident after all their recent victories and gains of territory (there seems a lot of confidence among the asian peoples in general). Trade, wealth and culture were continuing to grow.

The Pen’tagran was completed in Altin Tiepe. This great building was to serve as a new military academy for Tian’s officers, and as a headquarters for organising the country’s vast armies and border defences.

Tianese influence continued to spread further abroad. Ryakhi and Tarkan are now well within Tian’s sphere of influence, and Garuda is heading that way too. The only setback was Jara, which drew closer to Ormash’s influence during this time.

Great efforts were made to increase population and settlement beyond the central river. New towns and cities were founded, and there was another drive to attract immigration from neighbouring lands (this time with some success).

Methods of both printing and paper making became widely known in Aral Tiyu, most likely brought from Ormash.

The upkeep for the vast cavalry forces is draining away much of the Tianese treasury…

---

A truly vast army was sent marching through the Tarkan Khanate to meet with the remains of the Kyzar Khanate in the west. This show of force was very impressive to the Tarkans, Antalese, Ryzovians, and anyone else who saw it. But, along the way, the thousands of troops were forced to take supplies from the local Tarkan people. The Tarkans were already poor, and now many were left starving. This created a lot of bitterness among the Tarkan people towards Tian, there were even some small battles between them, though the Tarkan leaders remained supportive of Tian.

Tian: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

When the Tianese reached the last Kyzar territory, some of their warriors agreed to join Tian, but others still refused to give up their land, and ended up in a futile fight against Tian’s huge army. In any case, it was the end of the last of the independent Kyzar forces.

Tian: +5 Light Cavalry (Horse Archers), +3 Heavy Cavalry (Kyzar Cavalry)

Antalese and Ryzovyan forces were also heading into the area, but both stayed away after seeing the size of Tian’s army. The Tarkans were able to claim some of the land as the Tianese withdrew. The Antalese ended up taking the rest (see Antalese Empire).

A border skirmish took place with the Orion Empire, after some of their cavalry patrols somehow strayed into Tian’s territory.

Tian: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Cavalry, -1 Heavy Cavalry
Orion Empire: -2 Light Cavalry, -2 Heavy Cavalry

Panga

There was in increase in demand for metal (especially iron) as the use of basic steam engines continued to grow, and experiments were carried out with various steam-powered machines, at the same time as the demand for tools and weapons remained high. But Panga lacked the huge deposits of iron ore found in other countries. So, Panga began to import more iron ore from Ormash and from the ‘new’ continents. This was enough for now. But eventually, it seems, what will really be needed is iron production on a much larger scale, rather than small amounts by isolated metalsmiths. Though, even if that were achieved, the transport of heavy and bulky iron pieces across the country (and the masses of coal or charcoal to smelt them in the first place) would remain a problem…

While Panga’s engineers continued to struggle with steam power and iron-smelting methods, a new generation of scholars took up the unfinished work of Pangu-Ze (who is now worshipped as a great intellectual, after his fatal plummet from a hot air balloon), and began to make new progress in understanding the basic laws of physics (particularly those applying to masses, movement, acceleration etc, as well as gasses and pressure).

---

After a long period when there was a lack of interest in exploration, Pangan ships began to make new voyages in the new continents, going further north and south of New Panga. Some of the larger caravels even carried small hot-air balloons onboard, for use as observation platforms once onshore (though the use of tethered balloons at sea has been considered generally impractical, the lack of deck-space being the main reason).

Panga also began to gain influence over the native minor states south of New Panga. These were worried about the nearby power of Chimuko, and most were eager to make treaties with the Pangans. Contact was then made with the Thulean expeditions (see Thulean League).

In the north, Pangan ships are known to have explored at least as far as the fledgling Garudan colonies.

A combined Pangan/New Pangan expedition was also sent against the borders of Hocatelco, but the heavily-armoured soldiers soon got bogged down in rough terrain, oppressive heat and humitiy, and endless rainstorms. Some ground was gained, but the expedition had to turn back when it encountered a line of (unsophisticated) fortifications built by Hocatleco, defended by many thousands of its warriors. There were a few small skirmishes, but the Pangans took greater losses from exhaustion and disease.

Hocatelco: -2 Light Infantry
Panga: -3 Heavy Infantry

The Pangans had more success at sea, their ships raided along Hocatelco’s coast - capturing trade galleys and occasionally looting coastal towns of their goods along the way - until they reached the waters off their great capitol at Tecochen, in the straights between the two new continents. They came close enough to see the great stepped pyramids, painted in vivid red and blue, with large golden statues and icons at their summits, towering above the city. But, like the Thuleans before them (who had come from the opposite direction), they were continually attacked by large numbers of native galleys, and eventually had to withdraw from the straights.

Panga: -2 Caravels

Anyway, the colonies of New Panga were reassured to see Hocatelco on the defensive. As long as things look secure, New Panga is continuing to get more settlement and investment from the Pangan homeland. Although the New Pangans have become a resourceful and determined people, and they are making large trade profits, their country is still a poor relation of Panga itself at this point.

---

Back in asia, the Pangans became more concerned about the power and influence of the Taej Empire, especially as it was rumoured that the Pangan leadership has made some kind of secret treaty with the Emperor - to forever abandon any ideas about regaining Quipeng for Panga, and to accept eventual Taej overlordship of Panga itself. The rumours gained credibility when the Quipeng Tarosits were brutally crushed by vast Taej armies (see Taej Empire), and Panga did not react at all (the Taroist ideology would have been just as destabilising to Panga as anywhere else, and it probably made good sense to let it die out, but to the naïve bystander it seemed like a good opportunity to make allies with Quipeng and take it away from Taej control).

Some of Panga’s military leaders are especially unhappy about all this - some still dream of unified, enlightened Pangan empire across Quipeng and beyond, and they publicly announce that they would not accept the return of Taej rule, in any shape or form…

---

The Taej Empire

With the conquest of Kousha completed, and an agreement reached with Saruk, the Taej Empire turned its attention thousands of miles to the west, to crushing the threat from the ‘Taroists’ (who reject the Emperor and all kinds of central authority).

First, efforts were made to rally the traditional Taoists majority against the spread of Taroism. This had some success, but many prominent Taoist monks argued for openness instead, and for allowing the Taroists to argue their case to the masses…

The Emperor ignored this anyway, and gathered huge armies to crush the Taroists by force, starting in the Taej Empire itself - by the time the imperial armies were on the move, the sprawling cities of Tyan and Cheju were under Taroist influence and in a state of revolt. All resistors were killed without mercy; it is rumoured that young children were taken away from any family with any links to the Taroists, to be raised by loyal Taej families, while their original parents were executed. Some estimate that almost a million people were killed before the Taej armies even reached Quipeng...

---

Of course, when the Taej armies attacked the Taroist strongholds in Quipeng itself, things only got more brutal and desperate. The Taroists had been joined by much of Quipeng’s original army, which had been well trained and equipped based on the Taej model. This, together with the total fanaticism of the Taroist faith, made them very formidable fighters. In the early stages of the war, in a chaotic battle near Quinyan, a Taroist army scored a spectacular victory over a Taej army nearly three times its size. Other Taej armies also ran into serious trouble.

But, there were still many Taej loyalists holding out in Quipeng, who made it hard for the Taroist-held cities to work together. And the Taroist’s own philosophy made things chaotic, as they had no clear leadership at the top.

Eventually, Taej armies returned to Quinyan and ended up destroying most of the city in bitter street fighting. The sheer numbers of Taej troops, with their superior organisation and leadership, eventually got the better of the fanatical Taroists. After Quinyan, the other Taroist strongholds fell one by one. It wasn’t long before Taroism was crushed as a serious threat.

But for years afterwards, bands of Taroist fanatics still hid in the wilderness, and continued to take a toll on Taej and loyal Quipeng garrisons. Taej soldiers and Quinyan loyalists combed the countryside, raiding and pillaging any towns or villages with any hint of supporting Taroism. It is likely that the ideology still exists in isolated places of Quipeng and southern Taej. Meanwhile, its ideas have been written down and spread to philosophers across asia…

Taej Empire: -9 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -3 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry
Quipeng (loyalist government): -5 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry

---

The imperial government played down the scale of death and destruction, and emphasised the restoration of unity, order and peace. Partly as a celebration of this, work began on a huge new imperial palace, a few miles out from the imperial capitol of Huich’on. Those who have seen the plans for the palace say that it will be the most beautiful building ever built, taking some aspects of foreign architecture as well as the best of traditional Taej style.

The Taej Empire itself remains mainly stable, and mainly wealthy. Taej cultural influence continues to spread far beyond the borders of the empire itself. The people are mainly content and loyal; Tarosim didn’t manage to erode the loyalty of the central Taej population. The economy is just about big enough to support war expenses at the same time as a vast new building project.

Actually, military expenses have been reduced a little by the introduction of mass-produced weapons and armour - In the last years of his life, Zhang Heng (better known for his controversial farming reforms) was appointed head of the ‘Imperial Burea of Military Advancement’, and devised ways of using water-wheels to drive hammers and pump air through blast furnaces - various methods of reducing the time and manpower needed to churn out enough weapons and armour for the Empire.

---

Videssos

The new ‘Holy Academy of Videssos’ was built in the capitol, adding to a growing number of magnificent buildings there. The Holy Academy has three main sections - School of Light (religious issues), the School of Thought (mostly sciences), and the Repository of Knowledge (a huge library of works from across the known world).

There is peace and stability, and growing confidence and wealth. Living standards are generally good. Though, of course, there are still multitudes of poor people. And many of the latest scientific ideas from south asia, africa and the Antalese lands have yet to reach Videssos. But Videssian medicines are ahead of most of the world (including the pain-numbing substances), and even the poor can receive treatment for many diseases.

Generally speaking, the people have great admiration for the Avtokrator. But the light of Phos is still seen as the reason for Videssos’s peace and prosperity, so the people also hold the faith of Phosism and the Patriarch of Videssos in great respect.

---

Efforts were directed towards extending the (already extensive) road network into the vassal territory of Ryzovy, increasing trade there, and increasing Videssian influence further.

There was some skirmishing with Nakuri tribes in the north. This posed no real threat to the Videssians, who had strong garrisons there. But the Nakuri also expanded their territory into the unclaimed, frozen northern coastlands.

Videssos: -1 Light Infantry

The island state of Tanbri (east of Ryzovy) was gained as a new colony for the Avtokrator. The people had already converted to Phosism and didn’t really resist. If they had done, they wouldn’t have fared well against Videssos’ troops, who could also count on support from Ryzovy and mercenaries from the nearby (Phosist) Norgar colonies.

Tensions remained high with Chamka. Large Videssian forces were seen patrolling near Ranpor, and Videssian forces were also sent to protect Hojo (their new vassal state). But the war never came.

---

Chamka

Under the rule of a new god-king, Chamka turned its attention to gaining control of the uncivilised region north of Vangyam, which is was area of dense forest. The terrain was difficult, but there wasn’t much resistance from the few nomadic peoples of the area. Chamka settlers began to clear the forest and build new towns and cities here.

Chamka: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

A Koyonese uprising was suppressed at Tanoka, which left much of the city in ruins.

Chamka: -1 Light Infantry

The trade of the narcotic ‘Niopa’ continued to affect Chamka’s manpower and wealth. It is still rumoured that Videssians are involved in this trade.

New armies were raised to guard against an expected Hojo-Videssian attack. At this point, Chamka was stretching itself to the limit. However, a defensive alliance was signed with Ryakhi, which made the Chamka leadership feel a little more secure.

Chamka’s people are still divided by culture, and many are opposed to Chamka’s overall rule. Descendents of Koyonese colonists live on the west coast, many people of Hojo culture live in the central area and along the western river, and the people of the south coast are closer to old Rayamese and Ryakhi culture. Cham culture itself is only centred around the north-east corner and the capitol city of Ranpor.

---

Region Spotlight: Central Videssos

Along the coasts of the western Videssian sea, north to the sea of Amorion, and west out to Kypas and Nakoleia...

The climate here can be very changeable. A wind from the south can bring scorching heat from the Tarkan desert, while a northerly wind will bring freezing snow down from the polar regions. But the seas usually remain calm.

The costal cities at the heart of Videssos remain somewhat isolated from the other asian cultures. Huge numbers of trade ships constantly sail back and forth between them, but there are only a handful of foreign merchants on these waters (mainly from Norgar, Talibria and Ormash). Most of Videossos’s foreign trade is handled at far-away (overland) ports like Nostra, Ranpor and Kyposa, and carried inwards by efficient Videssian merchants.

It is in these heartlands, sheltered by the cool waters of the Videssian sea, that Videssos’s unique culture continues to thrive and develop in its own direction. The foreign travellers that do make it here are always amazed by the great architecture of the coastal cities, which are often nestled between the coast and tall mountains. The great capitol of Videssos itself is especially striking. On a sunny day, the great gilded dome of the Grand Temple of Phos can be seen shining from many miles away.

There is a shortage of land suitable agriculture - there is often little or no gap between steep hills and mountains and the sea. So most food has to be brought from elsewhere in the Videssian empire. Instead of agriculture, most of the local population are employed in fishing, sea trade, shipbuilding, logging, mining, metal-working and general craftmanship. From this, there is enough wealth to support many soldiers, scholars and priests. The faith of Phosism is almost universal here.

---

NPC Diplo

To: Thulean League
We ask for your assistance against HRE/Rovien oppression!

To: Thulean League
We propose an alliance!

To: Umidia
We are requesting your support in our civil war against the Aeonist rebels in our country, for the cause of Eos.

To: HRE
We ask for assistance in restoring order to our republic and crushing the Ultimist rebels

To: Almoth
We ask for peace at current borders

To: Ormash
We propose a defensive alliance

To: Umidia
We propose a full alliance…

Attachments

• DNES2m17aa.png
    DNES2m17aa.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 220
and im not expecting anyone to read all this.

Well I did anyway. Great work as always.

I noticed you removed a lot of city names? ANy reason?

One more thing: I take it you're going to do more of these region spotlights? It was really good. (and I'm not sayign that just because it was about me ;))

*wipes a tear* Magnificent yet my soul and conscience rebels in agony. How many died as a result of the Taroists faith and the my, Taej, assault on them? Total, not just in Taejon :(

warman17 said:
Well I did anyway. Great work as always.

Thankyous!!! :D :salute:

I noticed you removed a lot of city names? Any reason?

All the 'floating' icons and text is badly lagging my image program, so ive tried to cut down. And i thought the map was a bit cluttered. The map will get a major overhaul at the next BT.

One more thing: I take it you're going to do more of these region spotlights?

Yes, if people like it, i'll keep adding stuff like that each update

alex994 said:
*wipes a tear* Magnificent yet my soul and conscience rebels in agony. How many died as a result of the Taroists faith and the my, Taej, assault on them? Total, not just in Taejon

well lets see, i think about 500,000 in Taejon, then at least another million i think in Quipeng, so maybe about 1,500,000 :(

*looks at number* *faints*

Anonymous Taoists Priest: "May The Tao have mercy on the Emperor's soul...."

Daft am I in this at all? All I could find was that small mention of my army moving north... I know I didn't do much else but I had hopes when you said (see Tian) :(...

Daft am I in this at all? All I could find was that small mention of my army moving north... I know I didn't do much else but I had hopes when you said (see Tian) ...

argh :blush: I certainly did write a big section on Tian, Ormash and Orion. I must have lost it when i was dividing my word doc into postable size chunks. I guess that's what happens when the update gets too big :(

Fixing it now...

fixed it -> Tusca, Orion, Ormash, Tian and Garuda are now there above Panga on the last part

Nice Daft :D... But it seems to me that jal and I have some talking to do....:hmm:

Top Bottom